News Intel Quartz Canyon NUC - Intel's take on SFF PC?

From Tom's maybe an interesting case, like the cooling slots and UMX style

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-quartz-canyon-nuc-xeon-e,40124.html

Reactions: owliwar and vluft

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This reminds me of the Circle Pro cases, in a good way. The rounded corners, the way you can take out all the sides individually and connect them back together.

I'll take the one time couple of hour hassle to have a system that's better in every way and cheaper too...
This sounds potentially good for someone who wouldn't build a PC otherwise, but that's about it IMO.

Technically you can use an elevated left angle riser connector to get the same kind of sandwich layout as the NUCs. That is, have the CPU fan facing towards the back of the GPU rather than facing out towards the case window. It's just not a very popular layout because blower style coolers are not very popular for custom builds. But it can be done if you are mindful of the cooler height restrictions.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
But why would you? The sandwich layout was part of my "better in every way", the whole point is that you get much more efficient cooling by taking outside air without really having a width penalty.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Kinda meh on this. Just Intel trying to wall a user into a proprietary system.

Now if only main stream psu manufacturers would eat the license cost to make dc/dc setups like hdplex and g-unique

Reactions: jujudk

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Kinda meh on this. Just Intel trying to wall a user into a proprietary system.

Now if only main stream psu manufacturers would eat the license cost to make dc/dc setups like hdplex and g-unique
Or better flex atx psu would be a good first, we see 850w sff psu so ...