News Intel Quartz Canyon NUC - Intel's take on SFF PC?

From Tom's maybe an interesting case, like the cooling slots and UMX style

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-quartz-canyon-nuc-xeon-e,40124.html

Reactions: owliwar and vluft

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
man, im looking at that slide and just thinking about how you could literally build an all intel pc. i wonder if this is part of their plan

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
man, im looking at that slide and just thinking about how you could literally build an all intel pc. i wonder if this is part of their plan

Yeah, I think this gets them there as they've been leaking their own dGPU specs. Hard to tell but looks to be a flexish looking PSU at the bottom.

Reactions: owliwar

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018

Intel Quartz Canyon NUC

CPU: up to 8-core Intel Xeon E or 9th Gen core i7 --> so basically i7-9700?
GPU: up to RTX 2070 mini --> similar to the Gigabyte or MSI ITX 2070 in size, but probably weaker cooling?
PSU: some internal 500W PSU
Case: looks to be sandwich style, and around 5 liters?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Oh wow, the motherboard is in a PCI card form factor. I actually had an email exchange back in early 2014 with a guy from intel and I suggested that very same thing. This is the pic I sent him:

They're using short cards, but otherwise it looks very similar to my mockup, right down to the flex PSU at the bottom. Would be very cool to see this catch on as a standard form factor.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Would be pretty cool to put another computer into the pcie slot of my computer.?

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
This is an insane move from intel, though i'm very afraid of the price .... (asrock, make stx board like that please, with a pcie extension)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The one thing that they did differently from my concept layout that I wish they hadn't was to make the orientation the same as a regular PCI card, with the cooler on the inside. A mirrored PCI form factor would've been much better from an airflow perspective IMO, since it would allow direct air intake for both the GPU and the CPU from the sides. There's probably some other reason they did it this way though - perhaps to take advantage of standardized parts/chassis.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nice, we are getting closer to industrial PC now. This reminds me of PXI and alikes, where everything is a board plugged to a backpanel, even the PSU...

A chassis (Compact PCI serial, from MEN)

A CPU board (here a Xeon D)

A PSU ....

... NVMe storage ...

... ETC ETC ETC

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
The "PCIe motherboard" is pretty interesting, but I see no advantage on using it. I mean, the case volume doesn't seem any smaller that the Hutzy XS, which was made almost 4 years ago... So what's the point?

Reactions: NateDawg72

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Nice, we are getting closer to industrial PC now. This reminds me of PXI and alikes, where everything is a board plugged to a backpanel, even the PSU...

A chassis (Compact PCI serial, from MEN)

... ETC ETC ETC

Yep, old concept. I used to design boards for VME based systems in the 80s, and later to plug into Mercury Raceway systems and Hypercube computer architecture boards.

Reactions: Phuncz

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
This is an insanely cool thing, for a compact system, i'm also interested in the power supply intel made

huh.sure

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Hmm, good idea but I think the NUC could be made more user upgradable, currently the power draw of upgrades might limit us.