CPU Intel NUC 12 Pro "Wall Street Canyon" (Alder Lake-P, 28w TDP)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Not yet released, but it's coming...

I am looking forward to more details on this platform, but so far it appears that it will support Alder Lake-P, which means you'll have TB4 on-die, and a fantastic Xe iGpu. Unfortunately only 1x M.2 2280 4.0.

While that is good, I am also wondering if it (or some other Mini-pc) will support Alder Lake-H (45w base, 115w turbo) as that could be the perfect blend of power and efficiency. Almost as good as a desktop processor, but much more efficient while having native TB4 and Xe graphics (2x as good as UHD770!!!), which Desktop-based Alder Lake mini PC's like the Deskmini won't have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Chiphell had some more info about the Wall Street Canyon including some benchmarks. Seems the top version will come with an i7 1260P @ up to 28W

Bild_2022-06-08_122319767.png

here is the original thread:

I am also wondering if it (or some other Mini-pc) will support Alder Lake-H (45w base, 115w turbo) as that could be the perfect blend of power and efficiency. Almost as good as a desktop processor, but much more efficient while having native TB4 and Xe graphics (2x as good as UHD770!!!), which Desktop-based Alder Lake mini PC's like the Deskmini won't have.

I assume the higher TDP CPUs might go in the Serpent Canyon NUCs together with Intel's new dedicated ARC Graphics - I just hope they've come up with a more pleasant exterior design on the final units... XD

Bild_2022-06-08_121430041.png

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
That's exciting. I agree they don't look nearly as good as the Nuc 11 Enthusiast which had a slim console shape with a 2060. These are chunky, perhaps because Arc is kinda big.

How many more years before they ditch the skull on the side...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
One of the aesthetically nicer NUCs for me is still the 7th gen, with the customizable LED ring and nice black/dark-gray colors:

The newer generations have had a decrease in build quality.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
It's quite sad, looking at the sleek Phantom / Hades Canyon compared to that thing.

Perfect form factor... 1.3L console shape with discrete gpu

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
So it looks like Asrock's "Nuc Box" is one of the first to market with Alder Lake mobile on their barebones Industrial board, "NUC-1260P". Looking at the specs of the board, one difference from the consumer Nuc Pro version is that there is no Thunderbolt certification yet, but otherwise it looks pretty good. We know that Alder Lake mobile has TB4 on die, so I'm confused whether a Thunderbolt device would work or not. Anyway, it has 8 PCI-e Lanes but only 1x 2280 m.2 with the other m.2 for wireless chip.

The board: https://www.asrockind.com/en-gb/NUC-1260P

The "Nuc Box":
It is supposed to come into stock at Newegg this week at $649, a bit of an increase if compared to the $499 of prior gen Nuc Pro barebones.

Reactions: Phuncz

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Another vendor with this board:

Forces you to pay for 4gb ram and 256gb ssd...

Also lacking the Thunderbolt certification for some reason. 12-19vdc input confirmed though (great news).

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Anandtech Review of Nuc Box 1260. Damn those things are ugly

Confirmed that the two front Gen 3.2 USB-C ports are supporting TB4 now

Yea. Prebuilts generally have an industrial design best described as 'industrial design, what is that?'. It is amazing to me that after 20 years of Mac having a slick and elegant design--PC makers still go 'yea small plastic box is fine and will sell'.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017

Finally launched - Intel is not making Nuc Pro any more, it's from partners only.

The price isn't great, and you are forced to buy the memory and SSD from the partner at outrageous markups.

You no longer can buy it barebones so this is a disaster.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

Finally launched - Intel is not making Nuc Pro any more, it's from partners only.

The price isn't great, and you are forced to buy the memory and SSD from the partner at outrageous markups.

You no longer can buy it barebones so this is a disaster.
It lives down to its namesake.