Motherboard Intel NUC 12 Extreme, a socketed NUC.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
If this becomes an actual form factor, that would be amazing. Intel has certainly shown that it is committed to this design.

Reactions: Skripka

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'm honestly less interested in the PCIe socketable Element NUCs now. The entire point of them--upgradeable GPUs...are impossible to buy, and have ballooned in size to make the NUCs no longer any smaller than a regular SFF build, and will continue to be impossible to buy for at least another full card generation....also rebuilding in my T1 or NCase would be the same size and cost less money.

I'm more interested in the integrated NUCs like Phantom Canyon and Hades Canyon that is VSFF. Honestly the next time I want to upgrade my box--I won't be able to buy a GPU card for love or money....so might as well buy the integrated NUC, if I get one.

CaptainSlobbish

Efficiency Noob
Aug 19, 2019
I would just like a socketed 4x4 board with pci-e gen 5 m.2 and just hook up a GPU to the m.2 with an adapter. Would be interesting to see how small of a sandwich style case could be while keeping thermals in check.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Reactions: CaptainSlobbish

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is interesting, a NUC barebones kit. 13900k with 150W power limit so cooling isn't terrible but loses between 1GHz and 1.5GHz running Cinabench. Actually able to fit a RTX 3080 Ti TUF.

Reactions: mknrls and Skripka

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

This is interesting, a NUC barebones kit. 13900k with 150W power limit so cooling isn't terrible but loses between 1GHz and 1.5GHz running Cinabench. Actually able to fit a RTX 3080 Ti TUF.

I saw that last night...at first my reaction was 'Isn't that basically the size of an ATX mid-tower?' ...allegedly it is 13L of volume.

It seems a lot like Intel crunched the numbers and thought this strategy of NUC SFF is more proftiable. Which is a shame. I liked the Hades Canyon series form factor. Wish they would have kept it around.

Reactions: rfarmer