Input Needed On Grill Design

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Since you were all very helpful with my tray design in this thread, I figured what better day than Friday the 13th to get input from you fine gentlefolk on what I should do for a grill design. After a few too many failed 3D prints, where quality and the results were lacking, I took on @owliwar 's suggestion and 3D printed tabs to mount to a lasercut piece of acrylic. Now this is where you come in. What design should I go with? I have come up with a couple, and I am open to other suggestions.

Hex

Hex over fan circles only

Don't know what to call this, but offset circle thingies

Or the mesh I planned to do (probably most expensive with so many cuts)

Also open to other ideas/options.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
I like the first and last best.

Have you considered routing instead of laser Cutting for some of your Designs?

I have not. Do you know of an online service that does this? I was looking at Ponoko for the laser cutting.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I too like the first and the last the best - and if i had to choose one I'd probably go with the last. Good job on the fan tray by the way, that came out very nice!

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
I personally was really warming up to option 2. I do think I'm gravitating towards the hex pattern over the others regardless. Thanks for all the input so far

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Vote for first too. The last looked good on render too but I'd doubts how it'll look physically.

But hex (honeycomb?) can look off with too thin borders or in some dimensions. On your case it's spot on.

Reactions: jmarin

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Since the consensus seems to be #1, do you all think that I should keep the hex over the center of the fans solid or should it be cut out like the rest?

Will also tweak the design a little too make sure my not perfect cut is covered XD

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Made some adjustments. Increased border width to 7mm all around to account for tabs, etc. Also, which is better? I can have them etch a hex in the center spot for the fans, have it just cut out like the rest, or do nothing?

etch

all cut out

left alone

This one I am definitely not sure which way to go

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
The second one has already been shipped . I plan on adding a dust filter so the fan won't be that visible anyway

Reactions: confusis