info About Reservoir/Pump Combo

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Guys, do you know of very small, not rounded Pump + Reservoir combo?
No Waterblock Pump, BUT Pump + Reservoir.
Ideally...something like the Digital Storm Bolt in the photo.
It has to fit in something like that of the photo.
AlphaCool does something 105x85x82mm and it's way too big and too cubic.
Thanks a lot.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Check out the Phanteks Glacier R160? The pump is optional, but mounts into the back of the reservoir. It's also got a clever but limited "passive cooling" block on the back of it.

FYI, the top-mounted radiator is from Swiftech, the Drive X3, which is a pseudo-open-loop AIO solution. It includes the radiator, pump, and reservoir in one package:

Reactions: zzmadd

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Check out the Phanteks Glacier R160? The pump is optional, but mounts into the back of the reservoir. It's also got a clever but limited "passive cooling" block on the back of it.

FYI, the top-mounted radiator is from Swiftech, the Drive X3, which is a pseudo-open-loop AIO solution. It includes the radiator, pump, and reservoir in one package:

Thanks a lot!!! This is a very good starting point!!
Do you think the Swiftech is reliable and has good performance?

Nice the Phanteks solution too. it has good dimensions but it's still very big...

Last edited:

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Thanks a lot!!! This is a very good starting point!!
Do you think the Swiftech is reliable and has good performance?

Nice the Phanteks solution too. it has good dimensions, it can fit...

Swiftech is one of the original players in water cooling, I think having started in the early 90s. Everything they make is rock solid—and their support is great, if anything goes wrong. Check out their Discord server if you're keen to see what folx are doing with their stuff. Don't be alarmed by some of the no-frills packaging and branding… they're definitely engineering-oriented vs design-oriented, which for SFF is kind of a relief.

Edit: Sorry, I re-read your question, and it was specifically about the Drive X3—can't comment directly on this unit! I suspect that because it's composed of a number of their other products (pump, rad, fans, CPU block), it's no less performant than the sum of its parts, which have been favorably reviewed.

They sell through a few retailers, and their own online store. I think Performance PCs is having a pretty good sale right now which should include the Drive units.

Can't vouch for Phanteks' Glacier products, though—they seem to be reviewed well, and perform as expected. Fortunately with the R160/R220, you get to bring your own pump, so you can pick whichever feels most reliable. ✌

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Swiftech is one of the original players in water cooling, I think having started in the early 90s. Everything they make is rock solid—and their support is great, if anything goes wrong. Check out their Discord server if you're keen to see what folx are doing with their stuff. Don't be alarmed by some of the no-frills packaging and branding… they're definitely engineering-oriented vs design-oriented, which for SFF is kind of a relief.

Edit: Sorry, I re-read your question, and it was specifically about the Drive X3—can't comment directly on this unit! I suspect that because it's composed of a number of their other products (pump, rad, fans, CPU block), it's no less performant than the sum of its parts, which have been favorably reviewed.

They sell through a few retailers, and their own online store. I think Performance PCs is having a pretty good sale right now which should include the Drive units.

Can't vouch for Phanteks' Glacier products, though—they seem to be reviewed well, and perform as expected. Fortunately with the R160/R220, you get to bring your own pump, so you can pick whichever feels most reliable. ✌
Thanks again for your reply!
You seem to be knowledgeable about Custom Liquid Loops.
Are there services that you know that build custom Reservoir/Pump combo?

One way to make this build premium is to pick radiators (Alphacool does 80mm/92mm/120mm x2 or x3 ) and then design a custom Reservoir/Pump combo that "perfectly" fits the case (it's a small fit).
Another would be to use the Swiftech product that fits so so. For example would it be possible in your opinion to use the Swiftech Drive X3 mounted on the side? For side I mean the fans (and radiator) blowing from left to right (or vice versa)? So that you see the reservoir and pump?
To explain If I mount the radiator as suggested I have to have a case larger than 120mm. I want the case to be 80mm/90mm wide, hence the radiator has to be rotated 90° on the long axis. This way the 120mm span vertically. This way you see the bottom of the unit, pump and reservoir.
Hope it makes some sense.

Thanks for your help ?

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Are there services that you know that build custom Reservoir/Pump combo?

Custom fabrication? No idea, sorry. Sounds expensive. ?

One way to make this build premium is to pick radiators (Alphacool does 80mm/92mm/120mm x2 or x3 ) and then design a custom Reservoir/Pump combo that "perfectly" fits the case (it's a small fit).
Another would be to use the Swiftech product that fits so so. For example would it be possible in your opinion to use the Swiftech Drive X3 mounted on the side? For side I mean the fans (and radiator) blowing from left to right (or vice versa)? So that you see the reservoir and pump?
To explain If I mount the radiator as suggested I have to have a case larger than 120mm. I want the case to be 80mm/90mm wide, hence the radiator has to be rotated 90° on the long axis. This way the 120mm span vertically. This way you see the bottom of the unit, pump and reservoir.
Hope it makes some sense.

Ah, interesting! Didn’t catch on from your first post that you were designing an enclosure.

There are some other small reservoirs (Swiftech even makes a plexi box that’s fairly low-profile. Someone also makes an external reservoir designed for the NCase M1 that you could piggyback on, if you’re willing to have it outside the case.

Love the idea of the front dimensions of a case being determined by a radiator, especially a non-standard one.

Be sure to check out FrozenCPU for a nicely organized list of radiator sizes and pump/res combos!

The Swiftech has one “horizontal” mounting position—check out the quick install guide on their website (under the “Support” tab in the link above)—looks like the diagram that only seems to show the fans is what you’re looking for? They’re restrictive about this because of the way the pump needs to be primed. ?

To make sure we’re on the same page: I’m imagining a configuration like you might put in the bottom area of a Node 202—pulling air from the left, and exhausting to the right. The entire X3 is ~90mm thick, so it’d be tight. Tubing and the angled fittings may stick out a bit farther (but you may also be able to swap these, if they’re just ordinary G1/4 ports.

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

There are some other small reservoirs (Swiftech even makes a plexi box that’s fairly low-profile. Someone also makes an external reservoir designed for the NCase M1 that you could piggyback on, if you’re willing to have it outside the case.

Still the Swiftech smaller reservoir is 138x80x80 and it would somehow fit but then the tubing would mess things adding another I'm not sure how much.
How much is one of those 90° curve?

The Swiftech Drive X3 AIO would somehow fit in the orientation described in the Quick Manual with the 2 fans facing one side and air moving from left to right or vice-versa.

Thanks for your help.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Do you need a combo? Could you not put a small res separate?

Myself and others have used flow indicators as small res. Strip out the impeller and you get a nice small res to help with loop bleed.

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Do you need a combo? Could you not put a small res separate?

Myself and others have used flow indicators as small res. Strip out the impeller and you get a nice small res to help with loop bleed.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm a newbie in relationship to custom loops.
Would such a small volume be enough for the usage I'm planning? CPU block, GPU Block, 120x2 rad or 92x3 rad?
Would it be reliable as the idea is I'm going to sell these finished custom machines to non expert clients?
Do you have any advice?
Thanks!

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
The truth is that you don’t really need a reservoir—it’s mostly a convenience for filling, priming, and draining the loop. If you can integrate a couple of T-fittings and drain valves (ideally just before the pump, and another at the highest point in the loop), it should be just as easy to do maintenance. Secondarily, the extra water volume can help soak up momentary spikes in heat a bit better (strictly because there’s more mass in the loop).

So, I wouldn’t let this hold you up or limit your creativity when designing an SFF enclosure. Consider that most AIO solutions don’t include a reservoir! Poke around here and in r/sffpc for some liquid cooled builds and I think you’ll find a number that omit this component.

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
The truth is that you don’t really need a reservoir—it’s mostly a convenience for filling, priming, and draining the loop. If you can integrate a couple of T-fittings and drain valves (ideally just before the pump, and another at the highest point in the loop), it should be just as easy to do maintenance. Secondarily, the extra water volume can help soak up momentary spikes in heat a bit better (strictly because there’s more mass in the loop).

So, I wouldn’t let this hold you up or limit your creativity when designing an SFF enclosure. Consider that most AIO solutions don’t include a reservoir! Poke around here and in r/sffpc for some liquid cooled builds and I think you’ll find a number that omit this component.
Ahh ok....I thought it would help limit higher pressure you get from liquid heating up.
It's easier to find a pump that fits what I have in mind.
Are there brands you suggest?
Thanks!!

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Maybe what I´m going to say it´s not what you are loking for, but it goes in line with what @August has said.

If you accept the fact you can go reservoirless, maybe these could help; the eisbaer LT and eiswolf from alphacool, so you can make yourself two different AIO loops or buy one eiswolf with a 240 mm radiator and add a cpu block given it comes with fast "decouplers" so you can add things to the AIO.

Or maybe this cpu block + pump + reservoir if you have room for it ?