Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
True, I guess MB OEM are waiting for Ryzen release on ATX form factor, before spending money to develop strong mini ITX boards..:)

Reactions: Curiosity

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Well with reports of AMD CPUs reaching 1,2, and 4th on Amazon sales positions and other reports that at launch AMD will ship over 1million chips to pre-order customers; I feel OEMs have really missed the boat with this. It's not like ITX has sold like thin-ITX. There really isn't anything to prove as far as return on investment is concerned. OEMs just chose to take this route and I feel it was a bad decision.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I believe Raja said motherboard development takes 6 months for a new design, and possibly longer for something more complicated like enthusiast ITX.

So to have a high-end AM4 Mini-ITX board at launch would have required confidence the platform would have been successful a year ago, which I think we can agree wasn't the case.

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
I think we all gave up on AMD-on-ITX once AM3+ CPUs hit the insane power levels. Hopefully that did not send a signal that nobody wants HEDT AMD chips on the mITX form factor.

Reactions: jtd871

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
So far it's still only a commercial success. I'm hoping the chips deliver but I am still trying not to give into hype.

One YouTuber I like pointed out that Intel's (generally superior) clock speeds might be getting to the point where they're superfluous... that Ryzen's single-speed performance might be measurably/objectively slower, but not enough so that a consumer would really care. AND you get literally double the cores/threads at a competitive price. I think there is some compelling reason behind that, but it's still just theoretical until we see what's what and benchmarks and reviews start coming out.

Reactions: K888D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, let's wait for trusted and multiple reviews.
Some first feedbacks shows even higher ipc than kabylake at 4.5ghz (r7 1700x vs core i7 7700k, both at 7700k)
OC3D has also some early feedbacks on overclocking that one r7 1700 can reach 4ghz with rog or taichi mb (3.8ghz with others lower grade one) with 240mm aio.

Let's'see, there are only a couple of days before nda end..:)

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Hm, Ryzen finally shows up on Amazon.es...and the cheapest CPU, the R7 1700, is more expensive than the 7700K. At least here in Europe, for now, there seems to be little reason to go with Ryzen instead of Intel...

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
Amazon is bad about doing "surge pricing" when the popularity of things picks up. That and if supply dries out you'll see people scalping them for thousands!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hm, Ryzen finally shows up on Amazon.es...and the cheapest CPU, the R7 1700, is more expensive than the 7700K. At least here in Europe, for now, there seems to be little reason to go with Ryzen instead of Intel...
Just double core/thread count..:) while playing 4k, cpu is no longer the bottleneck, so no need to have core i7 7700k, even at 5ghz...it brings nothing in game...where higher core count is improving productivity and some modern games ( bf1 or watchdogs 2)..:)

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Saw this on reddit:

I don't know if it's true, but it would explain why we're getting so little info on mITX boards and absolutely 0 pictures so far...
regarding this, on the reddit AMA going on right now with AMD:

"AMD did not ask for any delays on mini-ITX, rather the partners are free to release when their product line is ready."
So, good news!

Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
With first reviews, and how AMD is calculating tdp, I doubt mini itx MB will be able to handle 95w cpu...but let's see with 65w revision

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016

This looks like something we've been waiting for.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
very neat...8/16 cores/threads in mini ITX form factor...cracky..:D (just hope it won't be as expensive as Asrock X99)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
very neat...8/16 cores/threads in mini ITX form factor...cracky..:D (just hope it won't be as expensive as Asrock X99)

Seriously. Those sell for $400+ here in Canada, I found one use for $300 and almost pulled the trigger before realising that to make full use of it I'd need to drop some serious dough on a processor.