Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
That's pretty interesting. So it might be worth the extra ~$20-40 to bump up to an X if I'm not going to be using the stock cooler and intend to undervolt/underclock for acceptable thermals in ITX?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
That's pretty interesting. So it might be worth the extra ~$20-40 to bump up to an X if I'm not going to be using the stock cooler and intend to undervolt/underclock for acceptable thermals in ITX?

We're talking about probably 5-10 Watts here. You can still undervolt and mess with the multiplier on the regular 1600 as well as they're both unlocked. The 1600X is for those who need every bit of performance or those will are "set it and forget it" types.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
I cannot speak for the actual difference, even on the older platforms. But in theory it might be worth it...
Without much resources on it.. it pretty much comes down to what the hopeful... potential power delta of it is worth in relation to what you want/can pay for it.

Best thing we could do is as a community pool our experiments, our results.. our data together on the different chips and their over/underclocks.
With power meters to monitor the actual consumption.. or at the very least the settings used for a given core clock, ram speed etc. in any given system.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I wonder, is this also true for Intel? And underclocked 7700k will get better performance at the same TDP as a 7700?

And what is the AMD 1800x 'thermal performance' compared to Intel? Will the 1800x run hotter at the same workload as a 7700k?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
And what is the AMD 1800x 'thermal performance' compared to Intel? Will the 1800x run hotter at the same workload as a 7700k?

Across platforms, that's complicated. Without an example workload, it's pretty much impossible to say.

The best thing you can work off of, to my knowledge, is first that Intel and AMD measure TDP differently. I believe Ryzen is prone to going pretty significantly over its rated TDP even at its stock settings. I could be mistaken about that. (Might have been system power consumption?)

That said, the base clock speeds and boost clock speeds of the chips are different to begin with, along with the number of cores/threads. They're different tools that can be used for all the same things but have their own advantages and disadvantages. I would assume Ryzen takes less of a hit undervolting/underclocking if you're doing tasks that can actually use multiple threads just because you've (generally) got more cores/threads taking care of things... but I really don't know a lot about that and as I understand it, most general purpose tasks don't utilize multiple threads (4+) all that well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I wonder, is this also true for Intel? And underclocked 7700k will get better performance at the same TDP as a 7700?

Yes. Basically most chip nowadays have a best performance per watt at around 3Ghz. That's why you see intel's big chips are around there. The 7700k is well designed but it boosts pretty high to get that performance.

The 1800X with its many cores/threads at a slower speed, given a well threaded workload, will beat out the the 7700k with its fast but lower count cores.

As you climb up the clockspeed tree you get heavily penalized in terms of power consumption.

If you had a 4+0 1800X (1 module disabled) and an i7 7700k both clocked the same and undervolted in a best case scenario, intel would likely win because their IPC is slightly ahead of AMD. But that's quite the unreasonable scenario.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

A secondary note, if by hotter you mean temp wise, it's an apples-orange comparison.

Intel chips are designed to run hot. They have a thermal limit of 100C. AMD's is around 85C (probably). They are also physically different. AMD's package are designed for lower temps with their soldered on design. Intel uses a thermal interface material that makes it run hotter, that's why delid is so popular with the 7700k, because the TIM penalty is pretty high (15C).

If you're talking about power consumption, it's hard to compare but intel will win because of better IPC if you control for core counts and clockspeed. If you attempt to do anything multithreaded, the 1800X will stomp the 7700k given the same wattage.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I see. But I guess if I'm trying to make a quiet system, Intel will have a slight advantage, because I can run it hotter without harming the chip, and therefor run fans at a low speed.

And I'm guessing Intel is better for passive cooling for the same reason.

For my work, single thread speed is important, however multiple cores also help.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I see. But I guess if I'm trying to make a quiet system, Intel will have a slight advantage, because I can run it hotter without harming the chip, and therefor run fans at a low speed.

And I'm guessing Intel is better for passive cooling for the same reason.

For my work, single thread speed is important, however multiple cores also help.

It all evens out though. While intel chip can run hotter, their package easily gets hot. AMD's chip can't run as hot, but their package is easier to keep cool.

Intel vs AMD is a matter of looking at what you're using today, what you may be using tomorrow, and ensuring its what you need. Intel is better for passive cooling has more to do with its maturity than its performance. You can easily clock an AMD chip to the power thermals you need.

But if we're talking abut ultra-low-voltage, then well, Intel is the only choice!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
But if we're talking abut ultra-low-voltage, then well, Intel is the only choice!

I'm curious: Are you referring to mobile chips and Atom-style chips, or are you suggesting that something like an i7 would do better at 'ultra-low voltage' compared to a R7?

Is it feasible to undervolt/clock a desktop chip to consume around ~20-30W and still work (even if slowly)?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm curious: Are you referring to mobile chips and Atom-style chips, or are you suggesting that something like an i7 would do better at 'ultra-low voltage' compared to a R7?

Is it feasible to undervolt/clock a desktop chip to consume around ~20-30W and still work (even if slowly)?

I'm talking about specifically intel's ultra-low-voltage chips which can fit very low power envelopes. This pretty much always soldered. AMD currently is missing ULV chips, APU, and High End Desktop in their product stack. They only have a nice mainstream non-IGP offering and no ITX motherboard yet.

And yes, you can clock chips to consume around 20-30W. You'll probably be looking at around 2-2.5Ghz and being really stingy on the voltage.

You can try it by limiting your windows power management for your processor maximum state to something silly like 25%. There's very little hard data on it because no one cares to :D.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
And yes, you can clock chips to consume around 20-30W. You'll probably be looking at around 2-2.5Ghz and being really stingy on the voltage.

You can try it by limiting your windows power management for your processor maximum state to something silly like 25%. There's very little hard data on it because no one cares to :D.

Yeah, I haven't found much information on this sort of thing at all, unfortunately. But I'm very interested in it... I guess I'll have to start doing the research myself!

Reactions: panton

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I'm not looking for ultra low voltage. I'm looking for something comparable to the 7700k, or a Xeon E3 1200. Actually, for me the FSB is most important I think.

7700k = 8 GT/s DMI3.
Xeon E3 12xx = 8 GT/s DMI3.
Xeon E3 15xx = 8 GT/s DMI3.

So they're all the same in that regard. I wonder where the Ryzen stands (can't find that info on google, or in this thread).

It would be cool (though of course impractical) if someone made a MicroSTX with both an Intel and AM4 slot. :p

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017
It seems a lot of theory and little to no "practice" in here (i mean actual numbers :p).

Few days ago i´ve seen this and if it´s true( so fu... good voltage scaling) well...the results speaks from themselves, arround 3.5 and 3.8-3.9ghz are the major bumps, as the info filtered when they go on sale, nothing new here; architecture minor problems. Great undervolting

And if you want minor performance? Disable 4 cores and boom! 8 threads at a lightbulb consumption

https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen-7-1700-b350-overclocking-tidbits.1926296/

PD: Don´t know if this link and info was posted before, if yes, delete it ;)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016