In-Win Chopin compatable CPU cooler/combations

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Is this a new cooler from ID-Cooling?

ID-Cooling IS-40X

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/136/name/IS-40X

Its 45mm tall which should fit perfectly in the Chopin case. 100w TDP and universal mount for Intel and AMD.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Well, I went ahead and ordered the ID-Cooling IS-40X. It finally showed as on sale and it was $24.99.

I went back and forth between ordering it off Ebay directly from ID-Cooling and off Newegg. Newegg charged tax so I went Ebay.
I do have a few 10% codes for Newegg in my mail. But, they freaked me out when they said they keep track of codes used from Emails and I didn't want to jinx my chances of being able to use one of them on Black Friday / CyberMonday as thats when my bulk order will probably happen.

I was going to wait and get the cooler with everything else. But, I didn't know what kind of release the 40X cooler was for ID-Cooling. I mean they made a case that I wanted to use and sold out of them and just straight up said they were not making anymore. So, I wasn't sure if the 40X would be another limited release situation.

I am a terrible shopper and tend to procrastinate about purchases. But, this was a cooler I wanted to use. It fit in perfect with my case. It should be a good preforming cooler. And at just $25 it would be hard to justify waiting and spending twice to three times as much for the Alpenföhn Black Ridge. So, I didn't want to risk it selling out fast and not getting one. Heck, ebay also had the same cooler for sale for $55 even.

I am REALLY hoping for a good sale on Ram and SSD's this Holiday.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
I got the IS-40X in the mail today. Looks good except the copper doesn't look clean. Looks like its a little oxidized. Not really sure myself. The copper has a few dark spots.

Tried to upload a picture but can't figure out how to do it on here.

Might just need some polishing. Any recommendations?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
600 grit sand paper with water and patience. a flat block with some rubber on botton should help to keep it flat
But honestly I don't think it will have any difference in temperatures actually. If its really oxidizing and you sand it down, it will only make it worse in the long run and theres probably a very thin coat of something to keep it from oxidizing in the first place. just clean it with alcohol and you'll probably be fine

Reactions: LeDelmo

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
600 grit sand paper with water and patience. a flat block with some rubber on botton should help to keep it flat
But honestly I don't think it will have any difference in temperatures actually. If its really oxidizing and you sand it down, it will only make it worse in the long run and theres probably a very thin coat of something to keep it from oxidizing in the first place. just clean it with alcohol and you'll probably be fine

If it is Oxidized is there anything that it might do that would be problematic? Little annoyed it came like this. I would like to post a photo to see what you think. But I really don't know how to do so on here.

There are some dark blown spots on two of the heat pipes. Don't think it will just wipe off. And I don't know if I want to go as far as trying to resurface it. Especially if it just makes it worse.

BTW, got all the parts today. Would like to get it built today or tomorrow.

EDIT:
Just going to install as is. I honestly doubt it would have any real effect. And any attempt on my inexperienced behalf would probably end up doing more harm than good lol.

Also, Holy crap this thing is simple. I'll finish up tomorrow. Thanks for the advice though. Really love this community so many incredible people on here.

Last edited:

NastyNick

Caliper Novice
Dec 20, 2018
So does anyone know what the best cooler is for these in 2019? Options seen here and else where are: ID-Cooling IS-40X, Black Ridge, Cryorig C7, Noctua NH-L9i or a combo: C7 CU heatsink or LP53 with a NF-A9x14.

Planning a i7 w/ p1000 gpu build inspired by the @CroyAlore Pluto project. I’m just concerned about heat management with the extra power.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I got the IS-40X in the mail today. Looks good except the copper doesn't look clean. Looks like its a little oxidized. Not really sure myself. The copper has a few dark spots.

Tried to upload a picture but can't figure out how to do it on here.

Salt, acids and…heat. So it’ll be caused by heat. Like said, you could remove it but the thermal compound should deal with it really.

Likely it was caused by a hot spot because of less than effective thermal paste application (since salt and acid aren’t likely). If it was pronounced it would be blue/green but it isn’t. Also aluminium oxidisation is grey/black and you have two dissimilar metals and heat- so I wouldn’t be worrying if it was me.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
So does anyone know what the best cooler is for these in 2019? Options seen here and else where are: ID-Cooling IS-40X, Black Ridge, Cryorig C7, Noctua NH-L9i or a combo: C7 CU heatsink or LP53 with a NF-A9x14.

Planning a i7 w/ p1000 gpu build inspired by the @CroyAlore Pluto project. I’m just concerned about heat management with the extra power.

From What I have found the Cryorig C7 is currently the best out of box cooler for the Chopin. It just barely fits however. The Copper version seems to preform almost identical. If not a half a degree worse. I don't really know why this is. But, from the test I have seen with both the C7 and C7 CU those are the results. And something to also remember is that Copper will absorb the heat faster. But it will take longer to dissipate that heat.

The C7 can also be even better with a Noctua fan mounted to it.

The Black Ridge I still don't have any solid side by side results for unfortunately. The IS-40X (Which I bought) I will have more data on later. I have my system up and running with it. But, I haven't done a stress test with it yet.

Right now I am running at 42 degrees with a 3.8Ghz OC and 1.29 under-volt. though, I will admit my thermal compound application could have been better. My thought when applying was I wanted to make sure there was compound covering the edge heat pipes. Which I believe I accomplished. I didnt go so overboard as to have compound coming over the sides. but when I looked at the heat pipes I noticed some of the compound wedged itself in-between the heat pipes.

The Cooler looks amazing in the Chopin though. I really love how it looks and it fits perfectly. The fan however is not the greatest. Its not a loud as the C7. but I can clearly hear it running. I might have to go back to default setting and do a stress test. Than go back to my OC and post the results. But, I am waiting on my keyboard and mouse atm.

Reactions: NastyNick

NastyNick

Caliper Novice
Dec 20, 2018
From What I have found the Cryorig C7 is currently the best out of box cooler for the Chopin. It just barely fits however. The Copper version seems to preform almost identical. If not a half a degree worse. I don't really know why this is. But, from the test I have seen with both the C7 and C7 CU those are the results. And something to also remember is that Copper will absorb the heat faster. But it will take longer to dissipate that heat.

The C7 can also be even better with a Noctua fan mounted to it.

The Black Ridge I still don't have any solid side by side results for unfortunately. The IS-40X (Which I bought) I will have more data on later. I have my system up and running with it. But, I haven't done a stress test with it yet.

Right now I am running at 42 degrees with a 3.8Ghz OC and 1.29 under-volt. though, I will admit my thermal compound application could have been better. My thought when applying was I wanted to make sure there was compound covering the edge heat pipes. Which I believe I accomplished. I didnt go so overboard as to have compound coming over the sides. but when I looked at the heat pipes I noticed some of the compound wedged itself in-between the heat pipes.

The Cooler looks amazing in the Chopin though. I really love how it looks and it fits perfectly. The fan however is not the greatest. Its not a loud as the C7. but I can clearly hear it running. I might have to go back to default setting and do a stress test. Than go back to my OC and post the results. But, I am waiting on my keyboard and mouse atm.
Thanks.