Accessory In search for speakers...

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

This is an area where I literally suck at, I've always used a headset, but feeling like I'd want to punch out some nice tunes every now and then, hence this thread...

I'm preferably looking for a 2.1 system, or just 2.0 system. I want them to be as small as possible, ie taking up as little space as possible.

If included a subwoofer, if it can be mounted underneath the desk, then awesome.

All black is preferred and I don't want the best out there, but a budget isn't really in mind here, I'm mostly just brainstorming at the moment.

Any and all advice/recommendations are highly welcome!

Thanks,
Dawelio

Reactions: Kooki

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I've had these for years. They looks a little cheap-y, but you can't beat them for the price!

Amazon link

Thanks for the advice and those looks very small and compact. Unfortunately though, those black ones are the ONLY speakers which you can select on that link, that doesn't ship to Sweden ?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I do not know any 2.1 speaker system would come with a mounting kit for hanging a subwoofer under a desk. So, you will have to DIY. But, physically linking a subwoofer with a desk (sitting on desk top or hanging underneath) might not be a good idea because subwoofer produces low frequency sound which is likely to cause the desk to vibrate, which can be quite annoying.

Personally, I am of the school of thought that subwoofer is better placed on the floor. So, perhaps you first decide if you can accept having a subwoofer sitting on the floor. If not, I suggest getting a 2.0 system instead. But, if you want a big punch (especially comparing to a headphone), perhaps having a subwoofer is a better idea?

For 2.0, Edifier Luna Eclipse e25 (less expensive) and Audioengine A2+ (more expensive) are worthy candidates.

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I do not know any 2.1 speaker system would come with a mounting kit for hanging a subwoofer under a desk. So, you will have to DIY. But, physically linking a subwoofer with a desk (sitting on desk top or hanging underneath) might not be a good idea because subwoofer produces low frequency sound which is likely to cause the desk to vibrate, which can be quite annoying.

Personally, I am of the school of thought that subwoofer is better placed on the floor. So, perhaps you first decide if you can accept having a subwoofer sitting on the floor. If not, I suggest getting a 2.0 system instead. But, if you want a big punch (especially comparing to a headphone), perhaps having a subwoofer is a better idea?

For 2.0, Edifier Luna Eclipse e25 (less expensive) and Audioengine A2+ (more expensive) are worthy candidates.

Very nice and detailed reply there, very much appreciated! :)

Coming to think of it then, I think I'm leaning more towards 2.0 system then, since it's not that big of a priority of mine. Just would like to have some quality speakers to turn on every now and then for some nice tunes.

Edifier Luna Eclipse e25 were a good advice, do you happen to have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative? :p

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I know you are looking for compact but as far as good sounding, inexpensive speakers I am using the Edifier R1280T which go for $99 and sound really decent.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Why are those Edifier's different designs from each other? That will surely disturb the OCD for symmetry.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I am also looking to get a small-ish 2.0 active speakers once my Creative 2.1 fails (but it's somehow still going strong).

Some models I've looked into, in no particular order but priced between $50-$400 with (supposedly) reasonable quality, at least from the reviews I read:
- Creative T100, T40, T20, T15, Peble V2
- Presonus Eris 3.5
- Samson MEdia One M30
- Kurzweil KS40A
- Behringer MS16
- Edifier R1010BT & Luna e25 mentioned before
- Audio Engine A2+
- Mackie CR3
- Q Acoustic Concepts 20
- Polk Audio S10 compact

Edit: most of these fall into the "monitor" category with various quality.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I am also looking to get a small-ish 2.0 active speakers once my Creative 2.1 fails (but it's somehow still going strong).

Some models I've looked into, in no particular order but priced between $50-$400 with (supposedly) reasonable quality, at least from the reviews I read:
- Creative T100, T40, T20, T15, Peble V2
- Presonus Eris 3.5
- Samson MEdia One M30
- Kurzweil KS40A
- Behringer MS16
- Edifier R1010BT & Luna e25 mentioned before
- Audio Engine A2+
- Mackie CR3
- Q Acoustic Concepts 20
- Polk Audio S10 compact

Nice one dude, that is quite the list you've aquired over time ?

I gotta ask though for you all that have more experience and knowledge when it comes to speakers, does it make any huge difference or is it downright bad/damaging for the speakers if they are mounted upside down?

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Upside down or sideways probably okay but may not be ideal for imaging, why would you want to?

Other options although at the more expensive end...
KEF Egg - may be able to find a deal or used as been around a while.
Ruark MR1 - I've been lusting after for a while, if my Harman Kardon Nova 2 give up the ghost would probably go for these.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Why are those Edifier's different designs from each other? That will surely disturb the OCD for symmetry.

They're fabric covers btw. They are mirrored design, but they want to show off the woofers underneath. I also second edifiers.

The other choice is to go for "reference" style monitors if you want to aim for quality. The bigger the better.

You do not need a subwoofer for computer listening, so I would avoid that altogether. Just a proper sized pair of monitors will be worth the effort.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Upside down or sideways probably okay but may not be ideal for imaging, why would you want to?

Other options although at the more expensive end...
KEF Egg - may be able to find a deal or used as been around a while.
Ruark MR1 - I've been lusting after for a while, if my Harman Kardon Nova 2 give up the ghost would probably go for these.

Space saving, having them maybe hanging underneath the desk, will both look minimal and save space. While still being able to rock out some tunes, when and if I'd like to. I'm aware that the sound may not be as good this way though.

They're fabric covers btw. They are mirrored design, but they want to show off the woofers underneath. I also second edifiers.

The other choice is to go for "reference" style monitors if you want to aim for quality. The bigger the better.

You do not need a subwoofer for computer listening, so I would avoid that altogether. Just a proper sized pair of monitors will be worth the effort.

Yeah, I've sort of gone down that route now as well. So just a 2.0 speaker system basically. Monitors? Why do you call speakers monitors?...

And for some reason, I'm not able to click on your Amazon, if you've linked something...

What's your budget ? Are Passive speakers + small amp a possibility ?

Well considering I'm not going for a music production quality speakers and mostly just for casual listening every now and then, somewhere around $100 would be alright. But upwards of $150+ is a bit expensive in my opinion for just casual listening. Over this and you are looking at a more serious interest into sound equipment, which I'm not. The cheaper, the better.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I know you are looking for compact but as far as good sounding, inexpensive speakers I am using the Edifier R1280T which go for $99 and sound really decent.
I'm rocking these speakers for years, they are well worth the money !

Old photo, 34" ultra-wide and Ncase M1 for size.

These speakers have excellent sound for the price but to bring it to a good level, it's important to put them to ear-level in height and give it about 10cm distance from the wall. I haven't really felt the need for a subwoofer with these either using these tips, it's set at -3dB on the bass knob.

EDIT: Another advantage these have is that they have multiple (simultaneous) inputs, so you can hookup two devices, watch video on one screen/device and game on the other, while being totally seperate devices.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Space saving, having them maybe hanging underneath the desk, will both look minimal and save space. While still being able to rock out some tunes, when and if I'd like to. I'm aware that the sound may not be as good this way though.

Yeah, I've sort of gone down that route now as well. So just a 2.0 speaker system basically. Monitors? Why do you call speakers monitors?...

And for some reason, I'm not able to click on your Amazon, if you've linked something...

Well considering I'm not going for a music production quality speakers and mostly just for casual listening every now and then, somewhere around $100 would be alright. But upwards of $150+ is a bit expensive in my opinion for just casual listening. Over this and you are looking at a more serious interest into sound equipment, which I'm not. The cheaper, the better.

They're called rokit monitors if you want to search for it.

They're called monitors because they are used for monitoring sounds :D

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Monitors are for proximity listening though, hence why they are called "near-field" monitors. More about monitors:

There are monitors aimed at mid-field and far-field, but I have zero experience with them.

Rokit are made by KRK. They are very popular in the music production community. Very nice desk monitors.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
It sounds rather funny when you all call speakers for "monitors", when monitors are usually referred to as a screen, ie the thing you look at when you game etc.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
This is an interesting topic.

I, myself, have no experience with speakers, but have you considered small soundbars?

They probably don't have the same sound quality as the ones already suggested in the thread, but their small sizes and simplicity might be more interesting for you.

I looked around and found some very cute ones:
Torpedo Plus
Creative Stage Air
TT-SK025

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
They are called monitors because they are intended to monitor sound in recording studios.

The expectation is that these monitor speakers will produce sound exactly as original as possible, without adding any additional characters like extra bass, extra treble etc. They are usually known for sound clarity, and you don't normally see them with stickers saying "X-tra Bass" or "Party Machine"

In my own words, monitoring speakers are "honest" speakers. Good source will produce good sound, but bad source will produce bad sound.