Discussion If money was not an obstacle ...

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Lets start with me - I'd go down one of the following roads - all of these being workstation-focused:

1. Custom 11 - 10L mATX SFF case with an mITX option:

12900KS, MSI MAG Z690M Mortar WIFI, 280 mm radiator (or maybe even 360), 64 GB RAM, 2 x 4 TB SSD (FireCuda 530), RTX A4000 or A4500 with RTX 30xx Heatsink / Cooler mod (or just plain Liquid Cooling), Cooler Master SFF 850W PSU (or just use a custom 1U server PSU with similar to FlexATX dimenions, with at least 1000 W and 80 Plus Platinum or better).

Oh, and keep it portable, too, so something like a steel skeleton with either aluminium or even just PVC or similar side panels.

Would also work nice with a 200 x 200 x 45 radiator.

Rough dimensions: 13 * 26 * 32

2. 2-in-1 System in the Meshlicious or similarly sized case:

mITX main system + mini-PC as a sidekick, eg. a Ryzen 9 5950X (ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming) or a 12900K (MSI Z690), rest of the specs very similar to the one system detailed in #1, plus an internal GPU output option to be able to quickly switch between both; something on the lines of a custom KVM switch.

The mini PC would be there for when I dont the raw power of the main system, eg. when going to bed and wanting to listen to music, light browsing and other stuff, so even a Raspberry Pi would do.

3. Rugged Notebook SFF system: Something on the lines of a 12700k or 5950X, but in a sub / around 5L case, similar to a notebook, eg. with a mechanical keyboard, (low profile / ThinkPad notebook <= Tx20 generation), screen (FHD) etc. Fun with heatpipes and small-sized radiators, wind channels etc.

cu, w0lf.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
If money and TIME were not issues, then I'd build a custom loop in the to-be-released Dan C4.

I've thought on this and would keep the loop fairly simple:
Integrated pump CPU block
280mm side radiator
ZMT tubing for ease of maintenance
AMD CPU < 90 watts (intel just asks for too much wattage)
Around 300 watts for the GPU

Those wattage figures would be peak numbers under full synthetic loads. 400 watts is well within what a good, solid copper 280mm rad could cool with real fans. No RGB bling, just performance.

I know that infinite money means I could really dream for more, but time is a bigger factor. Giving me an unlimited budget means nothing if I don't have the time to build it and perform maintenance on it.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'd rebuild my current scratchbuild with a 3070ti and maybe make it a smidge bigger. B660 STX mobo with a 12700. maybe a beefier GPU and a second wimpy psu for the mobo?
probably fit a 45mm thick rad on the CPU side + a12x25. 4tb RocketQ

To summarize:
More rad internal to the case, 45mm vs 30mm. Better fan.
Outlets for an external rad if I want
Possible second PSU running the upgraded B660Stx mobo+12700.
3070ti, maybe 3080.
Probably make the case from stainless and get a redesign done with help from protocase.