Discussion Ideas for ITX vertical chassis?

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Hi fellow small builders,

I'm running a little tired of my Dan A4 and want to try something else.
I really want something with a smaller(or more square) footprint.

I've been looking at S4M, which is very appealing, except I cant reuse my SFX PSU. Also Ideally I would like an AIO as I feel I have to limit my 5600x too much with an small aircooler (currently L9a-AM4).

I've looked at SSUPD Meshilicious, it has a very nice footprint for my setup as its not as deep as my Dan A4. But I have a 200mm GPU and no external disks, so I feel like I cant really justify going from 7 to 15L.

Lastly I've been looking at P-Atx v2, but I dont see any reducement in Footprint (a little smaller in width) but unsure it can stand close to the wall and If I can manage to fit a 140mm rad

So, guys... do you have any other cases in mind that are utilizied height instead of depth on the desktop and can fit my needs?

- reuse SFX PSU
- fix 2slot 200mm GPU
- 140mm+ AIO

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
If you're only looking to get some better cooling out of the deal with the 5600X and change up form factors, you might want to take a look at some of the Modivio or HZ Mod cases. can't confirm, still waiting on my HZ Mod to ship, but I'm pretty sure you can get at least a 92mm aio in it with a 200mm card. That shoudl be more than enough for the 5600X. I can also recommend the Xtia and yuel beast open-air cases, they're pretty well laid out and let you do pretty much whatever you want in terms of card and cooler size.

I just downsized my Dan to a ZS Case A4S, which doesn't do water cooling but is a really well-made case. definitively recommend anything they have

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
many thanks for your recommendation @tinyitx

@daddelbud not sure if the appearance is for you but I think my MID2 could fit your needs as it is a 9.8L vertical case with small footprint and AIO support :)

I took a picture for you so you can see the clearance for GPU and AIO. Since your GPU is only 200mm long, you can use a 120mm AIO with two 120x25mm fans in PUSH-PULL. I think that should work pretty good for your 5600X.

You can also check out my thread here for more info:

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
looks cool, havent seen those cases before. I cant seem to find something that are perfect fit for smaller GPU (they all seem to fit long GPUs)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I cant seem to find something that are perfect fit for smaller GPU (they all seem to fit long GPUs)

Well, the current trend is that GPUs are getting thicker / longer and case makers also seem to adapt and enlarging their cases. Given the situation these days it's difficult to find any new GPU for reasonable prices and even more difficult to find something in the ITX / sub 200mm range.

Speaking for myself I would try to find a case with support for slightly longer graphics cards so you could still upgrade in the future without the need to change the case again.

Reactions: daddelbud

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Your current Dan A4 is 200H x 112W x 317D (7.25 litres). Base area is 1.12 x 3.17 = 3.55 and you wish a smaller footprint than this 3.55.
To achieve a smaller footprint, another option is to keep the sandwich layout but moves the PSU to the bottom of the case.
One such example is SGPC K40 (249H x 138W x 210D, 7.0 litres). Base area is 1.38 x 2.1 = 2.90, which is smaller than your current 3.55.

Secondly, K40 can accommodate a max of 200mm GPU (45mm thick).

Thirdly, K40 can use SFX and SFX-L. So, this meets your requirement too.

Fourthly, K40 does not support 140 AIO! This is not a fixed requirement as I understand it. You just want to cool the 5600X better than the tiny L9a-AM4. K40 has 75mm CPU clearance, thus allowing beefier cooler like Thermalright AXP-100 (Copper) which is 44mm + 15mm (stock 100x100x15fan) = 59mm. You can even further improve the airflow by using a 25mm thick fan. 6-heatpipe AXP-100 will outperform 2-heatpipe L9a for sure.

K40 is just one example of such layout. There are others too.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks @tinyitx, it looks good. You are totally right that an AIO is not a hard requirement.
Regarding K40 I cant find many builds, and not any with SFX PSU?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks @tinyitx, it looks good. You are totally right that an AIO is not a hard requirement.
Regarding K40 I cant find many builds, and not any with SFX PSU?
I think the reason that you cannot find many K40 builds is that the case is a newly released one. It only came out in Jan.
1 video review and 1 video build (both with FSP MS500 SFX PSU)

Another option is Metalfish T40.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
I think the reason that you cannot find many K40 builds is that the case is a newly released one. It only came out in Jan.
1 video review and 1 video build (both with FSP MS500 SFX PSU)

Another option is Metalfish T40.
Thanks man, it looks like a really good candidate and I can imagine that with an Noctua L12-S it could run quite silent+cool.
Do you happen to know if K40 can be picked up in black? I have a hard time finding it in pictures, but my chinese is also quite bad.
Thank you again.