Part Idea Request: Right angle SATA port right next to PSU. Need to connect a 2.5" Drive.

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Hi All.

So I have a problem and would like a solution or ideas to try.

My motherboard only have right angle SATA ports which happen to be right next to PSU. Clearance is couple of mm. Case is DAN A4 SFX. My first SFF build and I did not pay attention to the board completely. See Pictures:

This picture is with the PSU screws off just to see if moving the PSU to one side will fix it.

I tried using low profile cables and right angle to straight SATA converters. Same result. Any ideas? What I do now is I have a SATA to USB C cable connected to the drive permanently. I need to take off the GPU side panel when its running to take the cable and connect to the front USB C.

Is there any ideas to have a permanent fix?

I am thinking of somehow using that USB 3.0 Header to SATA or USB. But power and controller issues, I am not sure.

I do need to have a second data drive. If this does not work, I may have to change the board or the case. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
I'm in the same situation as yours. Just mount the psu with the screw that will fit in the whole. and you will be fine. Use the port that is further to the top of the case will make it easier to mount the psu.

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I'm in the same situation as yours. Just mount the psu with the screw that will fit in the whole. and you will be fine. Use the port that is further to the top of the case will make it easier to mount the psu.

I am sorry did not understand.

I am using the top most SATA port. First pic. The PSU does not have space to sit with the top frame screwed on. Second pic.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The PSU does not have space to sit with the top frame screwed on. Second pic.
Do you mean that you can not screw the top frame on when the PSU is moved towards the front to let access to the SATA port as in the pic 1?

Do you have room under the PSU to move it down enough so that the top SATA port becomes usable? If so maybe some standoffs could be helpful.
What motherboard do you have btw?

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Do you mean that you can not screw the top frame on when the PSU is moved towards the front to let access to the SATA port as in the pic 1?

Do you have room under the PSU to move it down enough so that the top SATA port becomes usable? If so maybe some standoffs could be helpful.
What motherboard do you have btw?

Yes. that first pic is with frame off and the PSU not connected with any screws. I was thinking a different PSU bracket which pushes the PSU as close as to the front panel. But no. that does not work.

There is only 4 SATA connectors (All of the right angle, thanks ASRock. Well, I am the doofus who bought without checking) and all of them are right next to the PSU.

I am now thinking of using a 2.5 SATA to USB and a USB 2.0 header to USB.

and

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I am now thinking of using a 2.5 SATA to USB and a USB 2.0 header to USB.
Should work fine with 2.5" drives.
My USB to SATA adaptator has a 5V power connector and I need to use it with 3.5" HDD.

Did you try this one already?

Reactions: CountNoctua

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
Should work fine with 2.5" drives.
My USB to SATA adaptator has a 5V power connector and I need to use it with 3.5" HDD.

Did you try this one already?

So I tried the USB 2.0 header idea. Either the connectors were not good(A pen drive was detected easy enough) or there was no power enough to the drive(It did show up on explorer for a split second).

Yes, tried that. It shares the same profile as a low profile SATA connector from silverstone.

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
I am sorry did not understand.

I am using the top most SATA port. First pic. The PSU does not have space to sit with the top frame screwed on. Second pic.

Well, by using the port at this position, I did make it work. This is the pic I uploaded to another forum explaining this.

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016

Well, by using the port at this position, I did make it work. This is the pic I uploaded to another forum explaining this.

Dan A4? Can you please let me know what else you have to do?

I use the same cable. And took off the top frame and the PSU screws. Its not closing in!.

Which PSU are you using? Mine is the Corsar SF750.

Last edited:

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
Dan A4? Can you please let me know what else you have to do?

I use the same cable. And took off the top frame and the PSU screws. Its not closing in!.

Which PSU are you using? Mine is the Corsar SF750.
It's a Silverstone SX650-G. I did not do anything else. The psu appears to be a slightly off from the top frame, but you can mount it with fewer screws, like 3 or 2, as some of the wholes are still aligned.

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
It's a Silverstone SX650-G. I did not do anything else. The psu appears to be a slightly off from the top frame, but you can mount it with fewer screws, like 3 or 2, as some of the wholes are still aligned.

Ok. So there is a marked size diff between PSUs. Let me try to get the 650s and check it out. My 750 is still in return time period. Thanks for the tip.

Update edit: No the SF600 also has similarish dimension.

Last edited:

encore2097

Caliper Novice
May 13, 2019
Got these right sided 6-in SATA on AliExpress for a mini NAS build.. they still stick out a bit but made it work!

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 20, 2016
I am not sure if that would work, way too much sticking out. I am switching the motherboard to another one once Strix x570i is out.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You didn't answer this.
From your pic moving the PSU 2-3cm down should free up the SATA port on top.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
That idea did not work. It is kinda squished up.
Indeed, full packed as I like it!
Is this CPU cooling setup actually working with so few clearance both under and above it?

fdc227

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 27, 2021
I am sorry, I thought I did. :D

That idea did not work. It is kinda squished up. :)
Hi, may I ask how did you put the fan below the radiator and still somehow make it fit into the case? I tried this layout but the vertical tubing on the radiator clashes with the psu and I couldn't make it to work

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hi, may I ask how did you put the fan below the radiator and still somehow make it fit into the case? I tried this layout but the vertical tubing on the radiator clashes with the psu and I couldn't make it to work

870 days
16 August 2019 - 2 January 2022

Not sure if this is the record for biggest necrobump but hot damn.

fdc227

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 27, 2021
870 days
16 August 2019 - 2 January 2022

Not sure if this is the record for biggest necrobump but hot damn.
Haha I am new to the SFF community and just bought a dan case a4. Had some difficulty with the aio+fan vs psu layout but I think I just got my problems sorted out. My motherboard is an asrock x299 itx and it has a very high positioned 24 pin connector. So I have to slip my psu up side down in order to have the 24 pin cable reaching the 24 pin on the motherboard.

• Love
Reactions: confusis