Advice Idea for Velka Build

CeleryGod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Hi Everyone, I'm new to SFF, so don't be too harsh on me 😀 I am considering a Velka 3 build, since I want to build the smallest and quietest light gaming PC possible. I've read multiple threads on the 'turbulence' caused by coolers like the Noctua l9a, so I've thought about cutting out the side panel portion that covers the CPU fan, and placing something like this Mesh Cover over it. Alternately, there may be a steel mesh type cover that would server as a panel, but be in a pattern that wouldn't cause the turbulence. Not sure if that would look cleaner than moving the side panel to the 4mm offset. Has anyone done something similar? Thanks!

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I did a cutout on a 'SKTC A07' ... the horrible venting pattern made CPU/GPU fans louder than even the Flex-ATX PSU. But at least the holes could be used as a guide for the cutout (just left it open),.

Designing the k3.93L… I was then worrying about this exact thing and opted for a cheap/effective/customizable solution:

Again I left it like this… because why not XD BUT if I would close it I planned to use wire mesh.

Cut to size and press into your cutout so that it is plane with the outerside of the side panel. (Your cutting wouldn’t be visible. Should be easy to do.)

CeleryGod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
I think that's a great idea. I could try that before using a Dremel, since I can only try that trick once 😀

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Just looked at Velka 3 pictures... and the current side panel design isn't far of from wire mesh. I don’t expect there to be a problem with turbulence. .

Reactions: CeleryGod

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I have a Velka 3 - lovely compact little 3.9L case, nicely designed and feels very premium. I also heard about the turbulence and saw one video as well, but I never had it.

When I used the L9a, there was a good 3-4mm between the fan and the side panel on the closest setting (the Velka 3 v.2 has three modes to offset the side panel with 0-2-4mm). Eventually I switched from the Ryzen 3100 to the Intel 12400T since then and unfortunately Noctua's LGA 1700 mounting for the L9i is utter garbage unlike the wonderful solution they did with AM4, thus I now switched to the AXP90-X36. Distance remained the same, still no turbulence. On the tightest side panel setting. Have the same NF-A9x14 slim 92mm noctua fan on my gpu as well, seemingly they are both the same distance away from the panels - zero issues.

So I say no need to invest in a dremel or to tear the mosquito net from your window just yet - see how it is first. Case also looks too good to be cut up in my opinion.

Last edited:

CeleryGod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
I have a Velka 3 - lovely compact little 3.9L case, nicely designed and feels very premium. I also heard about the turbulence and saw one video as well, but I never had it.

When I used the L9a, there was a good 3-4mm between the fan and the side panel on the closest setting (the Velka 3 v.2 has three modes to offset the side panel with 0-2-4mm). Eventually I switched from the Ryzen 3100 to the Intel 12400T since then and unfortunately Noctua's LGA 1700 mounting for the L9i is utter garbage unlike the wonderful solution they did with AM4, thus I now switched to the AXP90-X36. Distance remained the same, still no turbulence. On the tightest side panel setting. Have the same NF-A9x14 slim 92mm noctua fan on my gpu as well, seemingly they are both the same distance away from the panels - zero issues.

So I say no need to invest in a dremel or to tear the mosquito net from your window just yet - see how it is first. Case also looks too good to be cut up in my opinion.
That's a good point. I didn't realize the l9a would have different heights depending on platform. Right now a 5600 or 5600x can probably be picked up super cheap too.