Log Velka 3 rev 2.0 Build

aaaadrian

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Hi everyone, I received my new Velka 3 case today and couldn't wait to try it out so I decided to move the internals of my Sentry 2.0 build into the new case. The build process is very challenging but I'm very happy with the case itself, the build quality and the final product and I want to share some photos and tips with you :)

The end goal is to get an RTX 3080 to put into Sentry 2.0 for myself and build another PC in Velka 3 with this 1060 GPU for my wife so I'll have to tear apart this build at some point in the near future :/

Components
* CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
* CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Chromax Black
* Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 i aorus pro wifi
* Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 C16
* Storage: Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB + XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (both with 1mm copper heat spreader)
* Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING
* PSU: FSP FX500-G 500W fully modular 1U PSU

Build tips and notes:
* I purchased this PSU off of taobao and waited a month for it to ship to US. AFAIK this is the only true fully modular 1U PSU with 150mm length! I'm very satisfied with this PSU and the extremely flexible cables that came with it. I have no idea how to close the front panel if using a more traditional 1U PSU with a bundle of cables.
* This PSU takes in air from the internal cable side so I oriented it to be facing down. Since there's ventilation at bottom of the case, this orientation creates a separate tunnel of fresh air for the PSU which is quite nice.
* The PSU can get loud under heavy load, but not too loud.
* The riser cable has to immediately fold behind the socket otherwise there's no way to push PSU in. I had to tear apart the case to re-bend the riser cable because of this.
* Connect CPU 8 pin cable before installing PSU.
* Connect power button cables before installing side panel.
* Be extra careful when put screws in for side panels to attach to two struts. You DO NOT want the screw to fall into the case.
* The assembly would be a lot easier for 2 people. At many times I had to really push hard for the screw holes to line up and doing this with one hand is pretty hard.
* I originally used a zip tie to bundle cables together but had to remove the zip tie when closing the front panel.
* The gap between side panels and CPU/GPU coolers is virtually none. If I push the side panel a little bit it's literally touching the graphics card fan. There doesn't seem to be too much turbulence noise though.
* The case is so well-ventilated!
* The case is very well-built. It feels very sturdy and the build process is supposed to be simpler than previous revisions (can't confirm since this is my first Velka 3).

Finally, here are some photos I took:

Last edited:

chabiichi

Case Bender
New User
Sep 7, 2020
That's great work.
I have a question. The new revision of the Velka3 can widen the gap between the side panels up to 4mm, but is the gap between the fans still too small?