Log i5-10400f / b560 itx motherboard question.

R-Oak

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2021
im currently rocking a

CPU: i5-4590
Graphic card: GeForce GTX 960
Ram : 4 sticks of 4gb PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) (16gb total)

and i'm in dire need for a upgrade i plan on downsizing to a sffpc, that i would like to air-cool,
im thinking of getting :

CPU: i5-10400f
Motherboard: b560 ?

Graphic card: GeForce 3060ti
Ram : ?

i dont want to get into overclocking my future cpu, so i think the i5-10400f is probably a slam dunk of value right now (about 180$CAD)
to complement it, i was thinking of getting a b560 motherboard....
but after shopping arroud i only found 3 options (b560 + itx)

- rog-strix-b560-i-gaming-wifi-model
- MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI
- asrock B560M-ITX/ac

out of those it seems like the asrock is the onlyone that is released :(
would it be worth it to wait for the ROG/MSI boards to release,
or is the asrock, great and should i just pick that

Reactions: jaeparku

contra04

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2021
Did you manage to buy that Mobo in the US? or Canada?
I have every other part in front of me GFX(1070) CPU(11400) RAM etc etc, but just cannot locate a Mobo to fit this chip anywhere. Tried newegg, amazon, microcenter etc. My only other option is going for a z590 chipset - but nothing under 300 bucks is in stock either !!

Reactions: R-Oak

R-Oak

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2021
Did you manage to buy that Mobo in the US? or Canada?
I have every other part in front of me GFX(1070) CPU(11400) RAM etc etc, but just cannot locate a Mobo to fit this chip anywhere. Tried newegg, amazon, microcenter etc. My only other option is going for a z590 chipset - but nothing under 300 bucks is in stock either !!
Sadly no, I am looking every other day to see if we get new b560itx options, so far there is only the asrock

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
im currently rocking a

CPU: i5-4590

Hello fellow Haswell user!

I don't know your type of work load, but for me (programming & gaming) IMO that processor is still reasonably capable.

I pair it with 8GB RAM & 1660 Super btw.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
ITX boards are typically the last to arrive on any platform, so them being late is no real surprise. Be patient - reportedly the Intel 500-series platforms have had some teething issues, so it might just be a case of straightening out stability, memory compatibility, etc. Given that you're not overclocking, literally any board with the features you want is likely to do the job though. VRM quality is massively overhyped, and only really matters if you're pushing heavy overclocks.

Important differentiators once that is out the window:
- Fan control, if you care about noise and/or cooling
- I/O - does it have what you want/need? Including rear I/O, number of m.2 slots, etc.
- design, if you care
- lack of design flaws, bugs, issues. Reading reviews is the only way of controlling for this.

If the currently available ASRock has what you want, I'd say go for it. I'm perfectly happy with my two B550 ASRock boards at least (I have the cheapo one in my HTPC running a 4650G and the Phantom Gaming in my main PC running a 5800X). Fan control settings aren't fantastic, but they work, and I assume this will be similar on their Intel boards as well.

Overall, your suggested setup is likely the best value out there right now. The 11400f is cheap and fast, and there's zero reason to go Z590 with that CPU - that would just be throwing money out the window. Get whatever RAM is the fastest speed supported by that motherboard (there's no mem OC on B560, right?), and don't overpay for something fancy like Samsung B-die unless there's good reason to do so. It's easy to spend 2x on RAM for a single digit percentage of improved performance. Just make sure the RAM you buy doesn't have utter garbage timings. 3200c16 is fine. 3600c18 is similarly fine. But anything higher for either of those is crap quality memory and should be avoided - depending on your luck you might not even be able to run it at XMP speeds. And it's not likely to be much cheaper than anything at reasonable latencies.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
For not much more, there is also the ASROCK H570M-ITX/AC. It's a bit better all around, with 2 NVME slots instead of just 1. I linked Microcenter as that's the price it should be at/near. It seems to be marked up on Amazon and OOS on Newegg.

The ASUS/MSI boards will be better than this one when it comes out, if you want to wait for it. I'm sure the ASUS board will cost more, but IDK about MSI.

Reactions: Valantar

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Mar 22, 2021
(there's no mem OC on B560, right?),
Actually there is. B560 (and H570) now support RAM OC, they will support RAM out of the box at upto 2933MHz for Gear 1 (1:1 RAM:IMC) for i5s and upto 4000MHz (IIRC) for 2:1). That isn't to say you can't push past 2933 Gear 1 but YMMV depending on the RAM quality.

A 11400F, B560 (with unlocked power limits) and some decent 3600MHz RAM (that can be ran at Gear 1) makes for a very enticing budget build. Will likely get you 90% of the performance of a 5600X or 11600K and Z chipset board at 60-70% of the price.

contra04

Efficiency Noob
Apr 26, 2021
I gave up and got the asrock 510 as it returned to the egg. not looking to OC, and only have one m2 drive so going to build in DAN A4v1 tomorrow.