I want to replace my SG13 with something...?

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
Hi All, hoping I can just hear some recommendations of what case I should transfer my build into next. I've been using this SG13 for awhile now, and it's pretty dinged up and I hate the low quality of the materials. I *think* I know most of what's out there, but would love to hear some suggestions. Currently build:

Corsair H60 (added a second noctua fan on it)
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
Corsair SF600
2x SSD
1x m.2 SSD

What I want: side panel, preferably tempered glass so I can throw some ~sick~ LED's in there. Smallest footprint possible. I'd be willing to go a bit bigger than the SG13 if it can support a 240mm radiator.

Seems like everything out there either costs $300++, isn't actually for sale anywhere, or if it is and isn't insanely expensive, there's a shit load of completely wasted space and the thing is barely ITX...

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Can I suggest the InWin 301.

It supports a 240mm radiator, with a tempered glass window. Also it looks really good.

It's 25L so it's quite a bit bigger, but still smaller than many ITX cases. Also you have the option to use mATX in the future.

Well within your budget too.

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
Can I suggest the InWin 301.

It supports a 240mm radiator, with a tempered glass window. Also it looks really good.

It's 25L so it's quite a bit bigger, but still smaller than many ITX cases. Also you have the option to use mATX in the future.

Well within your budget too.

I'm not sure I really want to go that big, that's quite a lot bigger. If I were going to go mATX, my local microcenter has this open box: http://www.microcenter.com/product/...table_Open_Air_micro-ATC_Chassis_-_Black?ob=1

It's at $120 which is a really fantastic deal, what do you think?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
There's build logs on overclock.net using UMX1's with glass sides and 240mm radiators, think those are ~16L. Don't recall any modding necessary.

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
Parvum Veer supports a 240mm AIO, dual slot GPU and has a window. It's fully acrylic though. Prices are subject to taxes and shipping so ymmv costwise.

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
There's build logs on overclock.net using UMX1's with glass sides and 240mm radiators, think those are ~16L. Don't recall any modding necessary.
This one looks so nice, but from the one build I found using it, they had to heavily modify it even to just fit one 120mm AIO.

Parvum Veer supports a 240mm AIO, dual slot GPU and has a window. It's fully acrylic though. Prices are subject to taxes and shipping so ymmv costwise.

This looks pretty awesome and I don't necessarily mind an acrylic side window, but it's 30L big even for an mATX case.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Are there any custom projects on here that support 240mm AIO, a full size GPU and have a window? I can't really find anything :/
Yes. Necere's project sidearm. But it's a very long time away from being available.

There was a case called the Compact Splash, which was very nice but it's been discontinued for years.

Other than those, the InWin 301, ThermalTake Core G3, and the new Phanteks Shift X are probably your best bet.

Or... Do it like the rest of us, force a custom loop into the Ncase M1 and cut a window :)

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
Yes. Necere's project sidearm. But it's a very long time away from being available.

There was a case called the Compact Splash, which was very nice but it's been discontinued for years.

Other than those, the InWin 301, ThermalTake Core G3, and the new Phanteks Shift X are probably your best bet.

Or... Do it like the rest of us, force a custom loop into the Ncase M1 and cut a window :)

Oh man, that project sidearm looks absolutely perfect. I want it now lol
Compact Splash looks cool too, guess it's not available for sale anywhere anymore.

And yeah I would totally mod the NCase, but it seems like unless you watercool the GPU to fit a 240mm AIO under it, you can only put one right where the window would go, defeating the purpose of the window. Is that right?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
And yeah I would totally mod the NCase, but it seems like unless you watercool the GPU to fit a 240mm AIO under it, you can only put one right where the window would go, defeating the purpose of the window. Is that right?

You can also fit another 92mm radiator to the back.

This is mine. It's just been filled last night, and currently leak testing.

Sorry for bad pic. Taken with my phone just now.

Reactions: Nanook

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
You can also fit another 92mm radiator to the back.

This is mine. It's just been filled last night, and currently leak testing.

Sorry for bad pic. Taken with my phone just now.

Damn that is absolutely nuts, awesome build. I'm not really interested in spending the $ on a sick custom loop for my 1080 though lol. Looks like a few hundred bucks in WC parts there, plus the cost of the NCase

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
So going back on topic, there's also of course the very popular Fractal Define Nano S.

It's not exactly small (24L), but it does have all the features you need at a good price.

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
So going back on topic, there's also of course the very popular Fractal Define Nano S.

It's not exactly small (24L), but it does have all the features you need at a good price.

Yeah I'm looking at that now, I actually do really like it, it's basically what I'm looking for, although at 27.5L it's pretty big. I just downloaded sketchup...thinking about doing a 1-off custom project. I've got access to a $10k 3D printer anyway

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Yeah I'm looking at that now, I actually do really like it, it's basically what I'm looking for, although at 27.5L it's pretty big. I just downloaded sketchup...thinking about doing a 1-off custom project. I've got access to a $10k 3D printer anyway

Wait wait wait! I have to stop you there. Do NOT use Sketchup for 3D printing. The STL files that it generates, will very likely be non-manifold, and cause a lot of problems when you try to print. Plus Sketchup isn't a CAD anyway. I highly recommend Fusion 360 - it's easy, powerful, and FREE.

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
Wait wait wait! I have to stop you there. Do NOT use Sketchup for 3D printing. The STL files that it generates, will very likely be non-manifold, and cause a lot of problems when you try to print. Plus Sketchup isn't a CAD anyway. I highly recommend Fusion 360 - it's easy, powerful, and FREE.

Awesome - thanks for the advice! There probably isn't anything I have to 3D Print anyway actually, but do you think Sketchup is still bad for planning out a case? I'm basically just stealing the Lian-Li PC-06SX design and making it more compact (~12 liters).

Last edited:

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Oh no, Sketchup is super fast as a, errrr, sketching up tool! Nothing beats it. It's perfect for this job, especially with so many things available in the warehouse.

Very very nice layout mate! Good use of space. Is this design going to be for an AIO or a custom loop?

However I think maybe it needs a little bit more space between the PSU and the board? Because modular connectors on the PSU may hit the connectors (especially the 24pin) on the board. I don't know, just guessing.

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
Oh no, Sketchup is super fast as a, errrr, sketching up tool! Nothing beats it. It's perfect for this job, especially with so many things available in the warehouse.

Very very nice layout mate! Good use of space. Is this design going to be for an AIO or a custom loop?

However I think maybe it needs a little bit more space between the PSU and the board? Because modular connectors on the PSU may hit the connectors (especially the 24pin) on the board. I don't know, just guessing.

All of the models in the warehouse are great, but actually drawing out the frame in sketchup seems like a total crapfest VS 3DS Max. But yeah it doesn't look like it from that angle but the SFX PSU model I got had the cables coming out of it built in, so there's enough room for them

+it's an AIO. I don't really wanna invest in a custom loop, they look cool, but take up more space and cost like hundreds more