Discussion Should I upgrade B350-I Ryzen 7 1700 to B550-I Ryzen 7 5800, and which parts from the previous build can I use?

Kaiso

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
So I built a machine a few years back based on an ASUS ROG STRIX B350-I Gaming and Ryzen 7 1700. I put it in a Silverstone SG13 case using a Corsair H50 liquid cooler, Corsair SF 450W Gold SFX power, 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200, and GTX 1060 6gb video card. I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800 and using a ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I, but keep most of the other parts. I'm not sure keeping which parts is a good idea.

The existing machine is on partspicker at: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KaisoBuild/saved/#view=McfLD3

The prospective new build at: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KaisoBuild/saved/gh4kJx

My main questions:
1. Parts picker says the old build used 274w of power. The new list says 314w. Will my Corsair SF 450W Gold SFX have enough overhead?
2. Does the Ryzen 7 5800 run hotter than the 1700 and will require a different cooler? The H50 currently keeps the machine at 47° in normal use.
3. Is the current 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 memory usable, or is it old and will handicap the new mobo/processor?

Partspicker says the Corsair SF 450W Gold SFX PSU does not fit in Silverstone SG13 case. This is wrong as I have it in there already, so I'm skeptical of their compatibility warnings. At any rate, I'm hoping someone here can help, and am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Yes it will be a substantial upgrade. However, the 5800X is the worst price to performance of the new Ryzen while using basically the same power. The 5900X would be a better choice.

1. 450 Watts is fine for those specs. If you substantially upgrade the GPU you’ll need to upgrade.

2. The H50 will work fine on any of the new Ryzen as long as it hasn’t depreciated performance from permeation and/or pump fatigue. You might not turbo as high as a more powerful cooler. For reference I ram a 5600X on an L9A and L12 Ghost, and currently run a 5950X on an L12S with a slight undervolt. These are less effective coolers than the H50.

3. DDR4-3200 CAS 16 should be fine. I run it with my 5950X.

All your other parts looks compatible.

My personal bias: I hate Silverstones current ITX lineup. If I were you, I would upgrade to something else. Cooler Master NR200 is popular. Mechalicous is also good. Ncase M1 is legendary.

Reactions: GerryMz and rfarmer

Kaiso

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Yes it will be a substantial upgrade. However, the 5800X is the worst price to performance of the new Ryzen while using basically the same power. The 5900X would be a better choice.

1. 450 Watts is fine for those specs. If you substantially upgrade the GPU you’ll need to upgrade.

2. The H50 will work fine on any of the new Ryzen as long as it hasn’t depreciated performance from permeation and/or pump fatigue. You might not turbo as high as a more powerful cooler. For reference I ram a 5600X on an L9A and L12 Ghost, and currently run a 5950X on an L12S with a slight undervolt. These are less effective coolers than the H50.

3. DDR4-3200 CAS 16 should be fine. I run it with my 5950X.

All your other parts looks compatible.

My personal bias: I hate Silverstones current ITX lineup. If I were you, I would upgrade to something else. Cooler Master NR200 is popular. Mechalicous is also good. Ncase M1 is legendary.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll take a look at your component suggestions. I'm in no rush as I can't touch this machine till I finish my current job/project in about a month.
Lastly, what is the recommended power overhead for a system assuming no overclocking? 5%,10% , 15%.....?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll take a look at your component suggestions. I'm in no rush as I can't touch this machine till I finish my current job/project in about a month.
Lastly, what is the recommended power overhead for a system assuming no overclocking? 5%,10% , 15%.....?

I look at it more in watts. I like to have 100-200 more watts than my components consume.