I built a wall mounted case.

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
Cool. You must get good temps, although high on the wall could be a bad arrangement depending on the heating in your house.

Yes, cable management leaves a lot to be desired. Would be great to have that stuff running through the wall!

Also, I especially like your safety shoes.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nicely done, but the ATX board stands out with all but one empty slot :p
It seems like at some point you decided to put the GPU on the board instead of next to it. Was it due to length of the heatsink ? Because the Radeon Fury X might solve that problem for you, that way you could use a PCIe extender.

EDIT: ah never mind, I didn't look at the board and card's orientation correctly.

inflated_waffles

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah I had those on because I was just doing some filing on the cut outs to smooth them. I would like to do some more cable management, but this is a work in progress and will probably be replaced in a few months time with a better one anyway.

inflated_waffles

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Nicely done, but the ATX board stands out with all but one empty slot :p
It seems like at some point you decided to put the GPU on the board instead of next to it. Was it due to length of the heatsink ? Because the Radeon Fury X might solve that problem for you, that way you could use a PCIe extender.

I had a PCI extender, but it wound up being too short and wasn't shielded so I just stuck the card back on the board for now. I'm planning out another build of basically the same thing, but more refined. This was more of a version 1.0 test build.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah I had those on because I was just doing some filing on the cut outs to smooth them. I would like to do some more cable management, but this is a work in progress and will probably be replaced in a few months time with a better one anyway.

I would highly recommend taking a lot of time to consider how you will route cabling, if you make alterations or redo it. I like the orientation of your components on the board a lot, but what separates good wall-mounted builds from really great ones (IMO) is the mastery of keeping the visual focus on the components. Big cutouts and strewn braids of wires tend to distract, and (thus) detract from that.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
@iFreilicht has done some testing with PCIe extenders so he'd probably have a recommendation for you.

They're not cheap (but not super expensive) but I've tested some extenders from Ameri-Rack and they worked well: http://www.ameri-rack.com/PCI-EXPRESS.htm

Here I am! I can highly recommend the LiHeat risers. They are taiwan-based but are selling through ebay, if you search for liheat48 you'll find them. They make beautifully shielded cables in black, I personally tested the 200mm version and it works just fine. Apparently someone tested two of their 50cm risers daisychained and still got the card to run with close to no performance impact, quite impressive stuff.
Link to my post with pictures.

Also nicely done for a first build, but cable management and GPU placement have to be revised for the next version. mITX would also be advisable if you're just using a single GPU. We don't want to waste any space, eh? ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
100cm of PCIe extender with minimal performance loss ?! Impressive indeed.

inflated_waffles

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Here I am! I can highly recommend the LiHeat risers. They are taiwan-based but are selling through ebay, if you search for liheat48 you'll find them. They make beautifully shielded cables in black, I personally tested the 200mm version and it works just fine. Apparently someone tested two of their 50cm risers daisychained and still got the card to run with close to no performance impact, quite impressive stuff.
Link to my post with pictures.

Also nicely done for a first build, but cable management and GPU placement have to be revised for the next version. mITX would also be advisable if you're just using a single GPU. We don't want to waste any space, eh? ;)

Thank you so much for the recommendation. The only one's I've been able to find thus far are 3m ones with silver shielding.

I'm working out the design to have a bracket system and have the motherboard more recessed into the wood somehow. I will be working out a ATX/mATX version and an ITX version. I wish I could find a co-founder with some CAD skills. That would be great. I feel I have good experience with design and execution and I have been working with product packaging for 6 years now. That's why I've been using Google Sketchup (I'm trying to use Fusion 360 but it keeps crashing on me)