how can i mount a radiator to a tophat i am designing for SGPC K55?

Noahf342

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2019
i am unfamilair with radiators and i have no knowledge of how the mounting system works. how can i mount a radiator inside of a tophat? i don't know whether i will remove the top panel or not, i probably will so the radiator can't just sit on the top of the panel.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think you can re-use the K55's top panel as the top panel for the new tophat. I mean, the tophat will basically be a rectangular ring style device, with its bottom sitting on top of the K55 (with top panel removed) with screw key holes matching the existing screws. The top hat will use the existing top panel to attach the 240 fan-rad.

SGPC K99 is so similar to K55 but it is just taller to allow a 240 fan-rad at the top. You can watch this video (especially beginning around 5:00) and get inspired to mod the existing top panel to receive the 240 fan-rad. Basically, you just need to have some screw holes at the right position to screw on the fan-rad.

Or, if you have not bought the K55, maybe you just buy the K99 and skip the tophat part to call it a good day.

Noahf342

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2019
I think you can re-use the K55's top panel as the top panel for the new tophat. I mean, the tophat will basically be a rectangular ring style device, with its bottom sitting on top of the K55 (with top panel removed) with screw key holes matching the existing screws. The top hat will use the existing top panel to attach the 240 fan-rad.

SGPC K99 is so similar to K55 but it is just taller to allow a 240 fan-rad at the top. You can watch this video (especially beginning around 5:00) and get inspired to mod the existing top panel to receive the 240 fan-rad. Basically, you just need to have some screw holes at the right position to screw on the fan-rad.

Or, if you have not bought the K55, maybe you just buy the K99 and skip the tophat part to call it a good day.
i was thinking of doing my own custom top panel of the tophat to match the custom side panels i am getting done, the pattern on the custom side panels doesn't match the existing top panel. i already own the sgpc k55

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
i was thinking of doing my own custom top panel of the tophat to match the custom side panels i am getting done, the pattern on the custom side panels doesn't match the existing top panel. i already own the sgpc k55
No problem.

As shown in the video link, fans are screwed onto a rad while the rad will be screwed onto a support frame. This support frame can be the new top panel of the new tophat. For your situation, you can follow the video above and make sure the new top panel will have screw holes positioned at the right location to match the screw holes of the rad. Very simple.

Noahf342

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 5, 2019
No problem.

As shown in the video link, fans are screwed onto a rad while the rad will be screwed onto a support frame. This support frame can be the new top panel of the new tophat. For your situation, you can follow the video above and make sure the new top panel will have screw holes positioned at the right location to match the screw holes of the rad. Very simple.
Welp, researching this has been a waste of time as the sgpc k55 is about 2mm too narrow for a radiator so a tophat wouldn’t work. Thanks for the help anyway! I might just go open-air with the radiator