How 'big' is small form factor?

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
I guess impossible to be definitive on this - but I thought it might be worth a discussion. Maybe collate some disparate information and come up with some rough estimates which could be useful for designers and leverage in discussions with manufacturers. (Apologies in advance if this has been asked before…) Maybe I am also being a bit 'green' - as perhaps the info might be considered commercially sensitive and not in the public domain.

Some of you on the Forum - may also have better 'lines of communication' to some of the major manufacturers?

Starting with Motherboards - as they really define the build
Apparently, ASUS has the largest global market share for motherboards… but do we know (or can we find out) the relative % splits for each form factor of mobo that is produced? (ideally knowing what the other major/leading manufacturers ship as well). This info would be good to track over time - and to see if SFF is growing/declining. Another obvious and useful 'cut' of this data - would be cpu socket + AMD vs. Intel. It would also be interesting to see if one manufacturer favours SFF mobo in terms of R&D and speed to market.

Major case manufacturers - who produce the full gamut of case sizes…
Again - knowing % splits of form factor would be of interest. More of them are creating more SFF cases. Some are creating small pre-built PCs too - but how many are being bought?

PSUs - (in some ways linked to cases really…)
nos. of Small PSU vs. larger + DC-ATX and external power bricks etc.

PSUs and perhaps knowing market share of Low Profile RAM (typically required for our builds) is maybe going too far - as mobos and case size are the key parameters?

Anyway - hoping this is not a completely stupid question - but I thought I would ask. I am keen to see if the information might be especially useful leverage for the designers of low profile coolers… and also encourage manufacturers to cater for this sector. SFF LAB would - I guess - be interested in the data too ;)

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Great questions, but all of them are really hard to answer. Here is just some of mine personal opinions:
1. ATX has the biggest share at around 60%, ITX is around 20%, while the rest is Micro ATX, STX and NUC form factors. Intel holds at least 60-70% of the market. Ryzen is a great, but Intel has dominated for serval years so it has a huge costumer base.
3. I believe that Lian Li is the biggest player in the SFF case space. It is with their own cases, plus the Kickstarter projects like NCASE M1 and Dan A4-SFX.
2. PSUs... SFX is dominant, Flex-ATX and 1U in the server space., AC-DC and DC-DC follow. I will update this part with more info on Monday.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting info but it is only as valuable as its source. Is this from market research that can be verified ?

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
No, as i said it is based on my own opinion and what i am seeing in the forums in therms of builds, troubleshooting etc. Just browsing thru the forums can reval quite a bit of information. It is basicly a huge pile of info that comes to me. Keep in mind that i may be wrong.

One thing i am certant about is the dominance of the SFX psus. AC-DC is kind of niche...

Reactions: Phuncz

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for replies so far…
I have done a little 'digging' for potential info sources - I thought company Annual Reports would be useful - that was based on an optimistic 'european-centric' view where typically 'Reviews of the Year' are a bit more communications-led and information rich.

Then there are the PC 'reference/info' websites - like Tom's Hardware etc. - they occasionally have 'top line' articles - no great depth/stats - but they often reference DigiTimes - which is a subscribed service - anybody on the SFFForum a subscriber?
http://www.digitimes.com/index.asp

Is an example article that is available to non-subscriber
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170913PD206.html

I also came across this Global Report… but it has a rather hefty price… again any chance a SFFForum member has access to via their 'day job'?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3464958

Suggestions for other possible curated sources we could tap into?

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I believe research company such as Gartner and IDC collects these informations. I used to work for a certain computer component vendor, we don't have much data to work with outside what our distributor told us and from plotting our own aggregate sellout data. Obviously, since my solution is not so picky about case size, I don't have any data about case preference. However, I have friends who work at various PC case distributor, and suffice to say, SFF isn't popular. Even though most PC users locally didn't use more than 2 PCI-E slot, mostly went single slot even, customization via RGB or fancy custom water cooling is most preferred.

Personally I peg in SFF computers at 10% market share in my country, and that putting it generously.