• Motherboards ATX

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Coolers - 120mm and greater towers

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • GPUs greater than 200mm long

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Power supplies - ATX

• Cases under or equal to 24L (covers a lot of M-ATX chassis)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Software - Windows, Games, etc

• 5.25" Bay devices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smartphones

• Cables

• None of the above.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
With the relatively scarcity of SFF news as of late, I was wondering if the community wanted to see news for 'larger' components/ non hardware stuff.

Vote above for news subjects that you would like to see. Vote as many as you like, Unless you vote for none of the above, then only select that.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A few topics that still are applicable to SFF:
- storage (M.2, U.2, SATA, USB, ...)
- network products (WiFi M.2 adapters, Ethernet adapters, NAS, ...)
- watercooling and other cooling gear (thermal interface material, heatsinks, fans, ...)
- SFF-related LAN and gaming gear (carrying cases, input devices, headsets, ...)

Since more than a few members seem to be highly educated and are a wealth of knowledge, maybe invite them to elaborate on subjects like physics (heat dissipation, airflow, structural design, ...) or less serious topics like that overclocking thread I started. No need to fill the site with LFF news when the SFF world is wide open !

Reactions: Vittra

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That make sense. I've been trawling the news sites as of late and some days are just LFF only! This thread was just finding the limits of what the community wished to see.

We do welcome user created content :)

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
A few topics that still are applicable to SFF:
- storage (M.2, U.2, SATA, USB, ...)
- network products (WiFi M.2 adapters, Ethernet adapters, NAS, ...)
- watercooling and other cooling gear (thermal interface material, heatsinks, fans, ...)
- SFF-related LAN and gaming gear (carrying cases, input devices, headsets, ...)

It seems to me that a lot of SFF owners also tend to have multiple systems, I'm not sure what to draw from that, but sometimes they perform specialized functions, maybe there's something in that? I use one old setup to connect to an ancient LTO-4 tape drive to backup the NAS. I know there are other places that focus on those elements, but bringing articles in now and then could be useful.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Voted for:

Coolers - 120mm and greater towers
Cases under or equal to 24L (covers a lot of M-ATX chassis)

Both have potential application to the SFF world in terms of inspiration and design ideas.

I think for the 120mm cooler option however, a height limitation should be imposed much like the 24L max of mATX option. In this case, I would say no taller than 145mm, such as the Cryorig H7 and Thermalright True Spirit 120M. While limiting the pool, it still provides context to SFF without going to far towards what other sites cover.

I should also mention that with reference to cases, they should be exceptional or interesting designs, rather than anything that meets the criteria of "24L or less".

Kip

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2015
www.facebook.com
I think one of the cool things about SFFF is the focus. I was about to vote up some of them but thought again. And I am a guy that would benefit from you publishing my news about bigger cases :) Keep it SFFF!

Reactions: confusis

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Ditto on keeping the SFF focus. If there's a day with no SFF-related news that's OK.

Reactions: Regack

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I wouldn't be adverse to small mATX cases. Even if mATX is used a lot more these days and a lot more options exist in the size, it still isn't completely mainstream, and there is a case for smaller cases.
The rest of the stuff probably doesn't fit as much, especially not ATX motherboards.

Have you thought about maybe doing low power/power efficient whatever?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If we didn't allow small mATX case news, a few forum staffers would have to find another place to promote their mysterious case :D

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Agreed, the focus of SFN is the main reason why I'm so active here. Close to every single topic that comes up is interesting in some way, and I think that all of the topics in the poll would shift the site away from that.

Nothing against mATX, but there are so many cases for that formfactor, and lots of them aren't built with size in mind, so why cover them?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The idea put forth wasn't to cover mATX in general, rather to cover mATX 24L or less.

The more I think about it though, the less I like the idea.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The passion in this community is amazing! Thanks for all the input guys - I'd rather know what you all want rather than testing it with articles and newsposts that nobody will read.

(Now I need to source a M-ITX board and SFX PSU since the ECS A960M-MV popped a VRM!... maybe early 2016.)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The idea put forth wasn't to cover mATX in general, rather to cover mATX 24L or less.

The more I think about it though, the less I like the idea.

Sorry poor wording. I was talking about how cases that aren't built with size in mind shouldn't be covered, because this site is all about downsizing your system. Personally, I'm not opposed to news about ATX cases if they are pretty darn small.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I share the sentiment of the others: I'd like to see things that are in the spirit of small form factor machines...systems and components for efficient and dense packaging.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
I share the sentiment of the others: I'd like to see things that are in the spirit of small form factor machines...systems and components for efficient and dense packaging.

Challenge of the month, 18L EATX.

Reactions: Kip

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Done that, quad sockets and all. Didn't get past prototype stage though (board died). My challenge for the remainder of this year is <14L ATX :)

ATX can be SFF - as long as it is under 19L - what's really the difference between a 18L ITX chassis and a 18L ATX chassis - except less internal airspace? :p

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
One of the original ethos (and a derivative of the original name) of the grandfather website to SFFn was Lots Of Stuff In A System (LOSIAS... was originally Lots of sh*t in a Sugo)

Stuffing a small sized case to the brim (even if it is m-atx, atx or e-atx) is more SFF than putting ITX in a mid sized (18-19L) chassis!

Reactions: Kip