How are these temps; could I gain anything with a water-cooling rig in this system?

simmtuck

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I have a suppressor f1 with a noctua d15 installed on a i7-8700. space inside isn't as barren as when I had a little l9i on the processor, but with cable-management it's been pretty good.

Anyway, in my room (22c) I'm getting idles of 24c with near silent fans and under load I'm seeing mid 50c with what looks like 50% fans. I need to double-check this but this is what the last bench settings looked like.

Anyway, before I went with the D15 I wanted to try an AIO cooler but I already had the d15. I'm just wondering if based on any of this, if I would still see any gains by putting in something like a corsair h80 or something. I'm a newer builder and definitely have never used water cooling before, so I'm not entirely familiar with its capabilities, but my budget for a water cooler would only be about 100-125. thanks for any feedback.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Thermal throttling begins around 97C. If you only see mid 50s currently, then you are already fine. Lowering CPU temperatures further will not increase performance.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The D15 is one of the best air coolers on the market, if you check reviews you will see it cools as well as a 240mm AIO, 120mm AIO are more comparable to 120mm tower coolers. I would stick with the D15, especially with those temps.