Enclosure Horizontal sandwich case (or ~150mm height console case)

shleepy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2023
The problem/puzzle:
I have a small-ish shelf under a TV (~152mm tall, 317mm deep, and very wide). Given that a PS5 fits in that space comfortably, I figured that a decently-performing air-cooled SFF PC should, too. However, the only reasonable cases that accommodate this space without being too deep (to leave room for cables and SOME air in the back of the shelf) with the smallest RTX4070 (226mm x 123mm x 40mm) and an SFX PSU are sandwich cases- e.g., METALFISH S3 Plus and Geeek A4 v3.2.

With the GPU power cable making that 123mm width requirement actually a bit wider, I don't think that there are sub-150mm high/wide "classic" or "console" layout cases that can really fit a modern GPU. The best case I found in the SSF case master sheet is the REVOCCASES RCC-DTC1, which is a prototype, and which probably can't quite fit the RTX4070, anyway.

Perhaps I'm not the best at scouring the interwebs, but I only found one good example online of a person rotating an ITX sandwich case 90 degrees and using it "horizontally" (i.e., like a console layout) - with the motherboard facing down and the video card facing up or vice-versa. Would that really be such a bad idea, if adding a couple of glue-on feet to raise the case a little bit, from what was formerly the side of the case?

I don't like the fact that Geeek A40 is mostly acrylic, but the bottom/top fans could function as a side intake/exhaust fans when rotated, for example. The part on the bottom would have worse cooling, presumably, but video cards are arranged this way in a traditional tower case, anyway.

Is this a bad idea, and why or why not? Note: I've already pretty much given up and will likely be building a system on top of this media cabinet, instead of in the shelf. But I'm curious if there are some examples of people trying such a build in a shelf or other vertically-limited space!

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

Did you see this in the forums? With all the intake at the top, it should work just fine. The only issue with a shelf is the back; it needs to be open OR you need an active fan pulling air out of the shelf. An enclosed entertainment center only open at the front will turn your PC into an oven.

Reactions: Phuncz and k0n

shleepy

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 31, 2023
Thanks @scatterforce & @princess_daphie!
All interesting options, with the dual HDPlex 250W possibility in k3.93L being particularly nifty. And I did see and consider the K59 early in my search. However, I'm not a fan of Flex ATX PSU's (and their 40mm fans), and cornered myself into an SFX PSU. So, my dream case would be something like a Sliger CX3151x that is a bit smaller in most dimensions and a LOT less deep.

And yes, with the back of the shelf being mostly-closed (just a hole for cables in the back), it would make sense to reverse the airflow with that kind of layout. With the horizontal sandwich case idea, I figured that side-fans would be better than nothing, given that there's plenty of horizontal space to work with in the shelf, but it wouldn't be ideal.

Anyway, I'll have my build on top of the cabinet, for now, and will probably check in on whether any new cases fit my needs in the next upgrade cycle in X years.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The problem/puzzle:
I have a small-ish shelf under a TV (~152mm tall, 317mm deep, and very wide). Given that a PS5 fits in that space comfortably, I figured that a decently-performing air-cooled SFF PC should, too. However, the only reasonable cases that accommodate this space without being too deep (to leave room for cables and SOME air in the back of the shelf) with the smallest RTX4070 (226mm x 123mm x 40mm) and an SFX PSU are sandwich cases- e.g., METALFISH S3 Plus and Geeek A4 v3.2.

You'll choke it putting it all in a small space with no space around it to vent and draw air.
Hot air will just build up in a confined space.
As you suspect a system on top of your media cabinet is the way to go here !!!