Hobbiest 3D printing/CNC/Vinyl on a budget advice

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Hello people know I am something of a stranger but honest, I am still plodding on with SFF and SBC (blew up an SBC only last night, so still on top of my game).

Anyway, a general question, I have about £400 to spend- maybe more but I also want to upgrade my AMD Ryzen (another thread and it isn’t SFF so I will have to be careful here). I fancy three things; I realise they are all out of budget but I will throw myself on you anyway. I quite like the idea of a 3D printer; this would save me a lot of metal engineering work and give some of my finishes a more professional look- it is also an easier sell to the wife as my 10-year-old can use it. Much of what I would be making would be based on what you guys upload here, brackets often enough.

Any recommendations realise I don’t want to have to order for months in advance and so China worries me a bit.

Then there is CNC, I realise here I would be looking at copper, aluminium, probably no more than 2mm thick? Again, this could really help with case finishing and of course brackets and so on.

And finally, a vinyl plotter/cutter for logos, ideally maybe it can cut really thing metal (like foil not 2mm). I end up paying for logos at the minute and I’ve seen machines for £250-300. Logos take ages by hand and are limited by hand.

I think the order I’ve put them in makes sense as to what use I would get. The logo/vinyl I would probably try and sell stickers and so on, won’t make any real money but would justify it. The 3D printer has genuine uses both for my son and myself and the CNC is probably the least likely to happen as I doubt, I have anything like a budget. I’d stick to Perspex, aluminium and wood but it must have some structural ability.

Can anyone recommend any models I should be looking at, in general Sterling works out the same as $ when it comes to prices so the exchange rate isn’t a big issue just yet. The CNC would be great for some logos as well, I think? I’ve had some minor interest doing T-Shirts, again I won’t get rich but people bought them but I was doing them old school using a conventional printer.

Just some ideas really, what to watch out for, where not to waste money and so on. I’m not turning this into a business as such but being able to say do a front panel for a SFF would be great so I think I am looking at a certain size. The cases themselves I fold up using tools I already have, or modify cheap cases.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, I am Googling but drowning a bit.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Well I have a vinyl plotter/cutter. I was browsing Facebook marketplace when I come across a relatively popular (being sold on eBay it must be said) version. List on eBay is around £250, the vendor wanted £200, I paid £100. They were desirous of a quick sale, based on the smell of cannabis in the house I think I understood why All done and dusted in an hour as they only lived 2 miles away.

Now I have only ascertained that it switches on and looks like it works, based on YT there is a knack with these made in China jobs, so I expect some frustration. They threw in some vinyl and spares;
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZPcUEG5aL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I couldn’t do a full test as firstly I don’t know how to use it, and secondly it was loud, and they had two young kids in bed (sleeping well enough I hazard a guess).

I does mean I still have at least an option on a 3D printer, but first I need to master this. The (vendor's) wife was able to show me a font size printed down to about 10mm cleanly which is impressive to me. I will need to get a book and the user manual, and it seems there is a bit of a dark art to this one anyway but given the size it should be able to do a ‘full wrap’ on an ITX board, I think. This has lots of value to me as I can’t really do spray painting much now (because cancer). I will also need to learn some software, but hey ho, same as it always was.

Still interested in anyone’s thoughts should they have anything to add.

EDIT: I see I am now cable tie ninja, funny enough I just spent the last two hours with cable ties, outdoors running ethernet though. I couldn’t be bothered to do it properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal