Hi there, just getting into SFF : NCASE M1 - AsRock X570 ITX/TB3 - 3900X

Hi

I haven't built a desktop PC in almost 15 years I think, switched to laptops mostly for the convenience of it, and because I don't (didn't) game on PC.
But now I'm starting to look into building a Ryzen 9 workstation - wanted a high CPU cores count for video encoding mostly - and SFF looks like the way to go.

I've now got an AsRock X570 ITX/TB3 mobo (need TB3) & NCASE M1 V6 on order.
I'm probably going to go for a 3900X, and I'm still looking at cooling solutions, knowing that the AsRock makes it a bit more difficult apparently due to the slightly cramped clearing space.
Haven't looked into GPUs yet, but I'm definitely not going for anything top of the line.

Cheers

Reactions: Phuncz

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
Hello!

Definitely a great choice of case. Maybe check out the RTX 2060 KO for your gpu? Supposed to be unusually good at workstation tasks. If you don't game at all on PC then you could also take a look at Nvidia's Quadro gpu options. Consider creating a build log about your journey into SFF in the 'Builds' section of the forum!

Last edited:

Logurhythm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 30, 2020
I've built in this case before and it amazing if you don't intend to do anything crazy with it. I can accommodate a variety of air and aio liquid coolers to keep the 3900x in check.

My current build is running the AsRock x570 w/ a 3950x and a RTX 2060 KO and it rips through most of my content creation tasks. A bit of undervolting and it keeps quiet and cool as well.

I'd note I have been having issues with the TB3 functionality. I can't seem to get any of my TB storage drives to be seen using a thunderbolt cable. It only seems to notice them over USB-C.