Hi from USA

I've been trying to make a very tiny computer. I've made a mini ITX Node202 build, but want to try for smaller! Have heard micro atx has noisy power supply, and I've crashed my laptop often enough I want upgradeable parts and a desktop level of processing with other parts, looking forward to all the things I have to learn! :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I've been trying to make a very tiny computer. I've made a mini ITX Node202 build, but want to try for smaller! Have heard micro atx has noisy power supply, and I've crashed my laptop often enough I want upgradeable parts and a desktop level of processing with other parts, looking forward to all the things I have to learn! :)

Hello, welcome to the forum!

MicroATX is a motherboard, not a power supply. By default a motherboard has no moving parts (although lately higher-end motherboards do have a small fan on the chipset). In general you can use any type of power supply with a any type of motherboard.

When you mentioned noisy power supply, it's probably FlexATX PSU. It has a small fan (40mm). Compared to an ATX or SFX PSUs with a larger fan (say 92mm or 120mm), FlexATX's small fan has to spin faster in order to generate the same airflow / pressure. That's the root cause of the problem.

Reactions: Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Since you've been using Node202, I assume you already have a SFX PSU. That's a good start.

Well Node202 itself is already pretty small, so next step is just to find how small further you want to go & understanding what trade off need to be taken.

You got anything in mind?