Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

I've lurked around reading the site for quite some time; registered almost 2 years ago to ask a quick question and thank someone for a solution, but didn't properly introduce myself.

Haven't had a PC for over 15 years now, but tinkering with laptops - currently running a Clevo N141ZU with i7-8650U and an external RTX 2070 via M.2 slot - love the mobility of a laptop, but decent gaming performance when I'm at my desk.

After so much time replacing pretty much a whole laptop every time I need an upgrade (even with customs you usually have to buy basic RAM and SSD or you're limited to what a reseller is offering), I've been thinking about a custom "laptop" project based on SFF parts. I started designing the concept in TinkerCAD, but I still have to iron out a few details and post something more complete.

Looking forward to putting something together, I'm hoping for a design others can replicate more or less easily.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A late welcome to the forum ! There are a few custom laptop builds here, it's good to take a look at it as there are a few quite difficult bits to figure out (battery with charging is one of them).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Welcome!

There are a few attempts, if I remember correctly

Not sure which ones are done or stalled or still on progress tho.

Reactions: Phuncz

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
hi @Phuncz , @ignsvn ,

Yeah, I'm expecting the battery to be the proper pain, probably 3 or 4 Li-Ion cells, boost to [voltage at max load] x [number of cells] and buck, but switching from the charger to battery without interruptions (+ charge the battery) definitely won't be easy.

Huge thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
hi @Phuncz , @ignsvn ,

Yeah, I'm expecting the battery to be the proper pain, probably 3 or 4 Li-Ion cells, boost to [voltage at max load] x [number of cells] and buck, but switching from the charger to battery without interruptions (+ charge the battery) definitely won't be easy.

Huge thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out!

Oh battery? Hold my beer.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Haha, nice. Thanks.

I was thinking about 3 or 4 Li-Ion cells (for 12V), boost to [voltage at max load] x [number of cells] and buck, Pico UPS from that links looks insane! Will definitely come in handy :)

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Haha, nice. Thanks.

I was thinking about 3 or 4 Li-Ion cells (for 12V), boost to [voltage at max load] x [number of cells] and buck, Pico UPS from that links looks insane! Will definitely come in handy :)

No worries. @Choidebu's project is one of the few examples of battery-powered PCs.

It's not an easy task tho: first you need to source for power efficient components. Next, find the right battery pack & any additional circuitry/PCB needed. Finally, you may need to be less picky about your SFF enclosure.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
No worries. @Choidebu's project is one of the few examples of battery-powered PCs.

It's not an easy task tho: first you need to source for power efficient components. Next, find the right battery pack & any additional circuitry/PCB needed. Finally, you may need to be less picky about your SFF enclosure.
Yeah, it's a pain. Going with 12v makes it easier - plenty of 12v batteries for RC. PicoUPS looked great, but it supplies max. 120W - not enough :/ DC-DC converters up to 200W are small enough, but I'll have to figure out how to charge the PC and the battery at the same time and switch between them without interruptions. Battery is not a priority, so worse case scenario I'll have a manual switch to start with.

I started designing and putting together the parts in this thread. Thanks for the links, they definitely came in handy!