Help S4M build

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
Hi guys,

Looking for advise with my 1st mid-range SFF build. Any Feedbacks would be most appreciated

Case: skyreach 4 mini
CPU: i7-8700k |||| AMD ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: ASUS z390-I |||| GIGABYTE A520I-AC MINI ITX
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1660 SUPER TWIN FAN 6GB GDDR6 192BIT GRAPHICS CARD (ZT-T16620F-10L)
RAM: 16GB(2x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX BLACK DDR4 3600MHZ C18
SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD
PSU: HDplex 400W PSU with HDPlex 400w Internal AC/DC adapter
FAN: Noctua NH-L9i |||| IS-47K

I have to order this parts abroad and I'm not that confident with my engineering skills that's why I want to take into account the ease of assembly

Thanks for any feedback!

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2017
Sounds like it's going to be a nice build!

I'm not 100% sure but from my previous build with a 1070 mini there was just about no space between the 400w AC-DC unit and GPU PCIe power connector. I would highly recommend picking up one of these right angled PCIe adapters, even if there is enough space, they won't go to waste since it'll clean up the cable routing quite nicely

Reactions: arkzdj

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
Thanks for the advise!
I'll probably get 1. I'm having some trouble with the 8700k, people are saying it's gonna mess up the temp bad , but it's what i Currently have on hand and wanted to use it.. Is the temp going to be an issue with the 8700K and will the z390-I be a good fit in the s4m?

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
Sounds like it's going to be a nice build!

I'm not 100% sure but from my previous build with a 1070 mini there was just about no space between the 400w AC-DC unit and GPU PCIe power connector. I would highly recommend picking up one of these right angled PCIe adapters, even if there is enough space, they won't go to waste since it'll clean up the cable routing quite nicely
What's the difference between the 8pin A and 8pin B?

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for the advise!
I'll probably get 1. I'm having some trouble with the 8700k, people are saying it's gonna mess up the temp bad , but it's what i Currently have on hand and wanted to use it.. Is the temp going to be an issue with the 8700K and will the z390-I be a good fit in the s4m?
I had a 8700K(delidded) being cooled by a Noctua L9i - One weird observation in terms of temps were that the CPU ran significantly cooler (10 degrees cooler) when RAM XMP was disabled. It's defintely not the easiest CPU to keep cool under these conditions but it can be done.
You should play around with it though, try undervolting or in a more extreme case have your CPU delidded

What's the difference between the 8pin A and 8pin B?
If you look closely at the pins you can see which way it will be plugged in.
8pin A is angled so that the female connector will be positioned above the GPU backplate when plugged in
8pin B is angled so that the female connector will be positioned above the fan shroud when plugged in

Hopefully the explanation is clear enough, I'm sure the connectors could be different from card to card but from the diagram on Zotacs website those are how the options will work with your card

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have a delidded 8700k in a Ghost S1 cooled with a Nh-L12 Ghost Edition and temps are very good but like @Ibraah3m said it will run hotter with XMP enabled. If your 8700k isn't delidded I wouldn't even try to cool it with a NH-L9i, stock the 8700k is a notoriously hard CPU to cool.

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
I had a 8700K(delidded) being cooled by a Noctua L9i - One weird observation in terms of temps were that the CPU ran significantly cooler (10 degrees cooler) when RAM XMP was disabled. It's defintely not the easiest CPU to keep cool under these conditions but it can be done.
You should play around with it though, try undervolting or in a more extreme case have your CPU delidded

If you look closely at the pins you can see which way it will be plugged in.
8pin A is angled so that the female connector will be positioned above the GPU backplate when plugged in
8pin B is angled so that the female connector will be positioned above the fan shroud when plugged in

Hopefully the explanation is clear enough, I'm sure the connectors could be different from card to card but from the diagram on Zotacs website those are how the options will work with your card
Damnnnn i forgot about that! That's the reason i was gonna sell my 8700k because I'd have to delid it if I was going for it...
Someone said delid and use the is-47. But i have zero experience delidding and im freaking scared of doing it... would i have thermal problems with the ryzen 5600x
And which of the fans do you think would be better?

Thanks!

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
I have a delidded 8700k in a Ghost S1 cooled with a Nh-L12 Ghost Edition and temps are very good but like @Ibraah3m said it will run hotter with XMP enabled. If your 8700k isn't delidded I wouldn't even try to cool it with a NH-L9i, stock the 8700k is a notoriously hard CPU to cool.
Yah... i forgot the thermal problem :( but zero experience delidding :(

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You would have a lot better chance with the 5600x, from what I have read it is a pretty cool running CPU even better than the 3600. I would use the NH-L9a with it.

Reactions: Ibraah3m and arkzdj

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
You would have a lot better chance with the 5600x, from what I have read it is a pretty cool running CPU even better than the 3600. I would use the NH-L9a with it.
Thanks.... i really forgot about the thermal issues. Will probably just sell the 8700 and move on to amd
Thanks!!!

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I don't have much experience with Ryzen but you might want to check out this new video from Optimum Tech where he does some underevolting with Ryzen 5000 series using PBO.

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
I don't have much experience with Ryzen but you might want to check out this new video from Optimum Tech where he does some underevolting with Ryzen 5000 series using PBO.

Thanks so much!
Can I ask another question? (Sorry) What fan would you suggest I get?