Log Help cooling system: Dan case 10900k rtx 3070: am I crazy?

CastoroAzzurro

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
I am completely new to PC building and planning, but after some researches, I understood that one of the most important things is a good cooling system and I need your help.

Here the plan:

Case: Dan Case A4-SFX v4
MB: Z490 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/TB3 (SOCKET LGA 1200) DDR4 MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARD
CPU: I9 10900k
GPU: RTX 2080, (possibly ti) or RTX 3070
RAM:
VIPER STEEL 64GB (2X32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT (PVS464G360C8K) (unless anything better / more suitable is recommended)
Power: Corsair SF600 600 Watt Fully Modular 80+
CPU Cooler: Here the question. I would like a Asetek 645LT AIO w/ Noctua A9x14 but it seems impossible to find it in UK. could you recommend me an equally suitable option (or even better)?
Budget is a problem up to a certain point for now, I am building a computer for work and I just want to make sure it can perform as I need. I also would downgrade some other components, but I want to forget about temperature problems
:p

STORAGE: Probably a 2tb Samsung M2 (would you recommend me to have two separate ssd?)
FANS: I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Many thanks for now
:D

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
A 2080Ti can pull 300W, a 10900K will pull 250W for the first 12 seconds of heavy workloads. This means that you might trip the PSUs protection (on a 600W model) when doing a heavy CPU+GPU task (had that happen with that exact combo).
Unless you need the TB3 support, I think the Aorus Z490i by Gigabyte is a better choice for motherboard.
For RAM, pick an amount that you actually need, perhaps your workloads only requires 32GB.

What are you going to use the system for? For a first system it's not the easiest build to have such a power hungry system in a tight case, you might have to undervolt and/or power limit the CPU to keep noise levels acceptable.

Reactions: CastoroAzzurro

CastoroAzzurro

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
A 2080Ti can pull 300W, a 10900K will pull 250W for the first 12 seconds of heavy workloads. This means that you might trip the PSUs protection (on a 600W model) when doing a heavy CPU+GPU task (had that happen with that exact combo).
Unless you need the TB3 support, I think the Aorus Z490i by Gigabyte is a better choice for motherboard.
For RAM, pick an amount that you actually need, perhaps your workloads only requires 32GB.

What are you going to use the system for? For a first system it's not the easiest build to have such a power hungry system in a tight case, you might have to undervolt and/or power limit the CPU to keep noise levels acceptable.
Many thanks for your answer!

I am going to use it for realtime rendering for digital audio-visual installation.

The system I had before was running a i9 9900k, RTX 2080 and 64 gb RAM. It was working decently (in a laptop case), however I had to return it because a faulty motherboard (and an horrible customer service). Hence I thought to build my own laptop.

Is undervolting an hard task? I am really keen to 64gb as I will have to run multiple softwares at the same time.

Can I ask you why would the Aorus Z490i by Gigabyte a better option?

Maybe I should go for a 65 TDP processor such as Intel Core i9-10900 or Intel Core i9-10900F?

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
I chose the Gigabyte because of its slightly better power delivery (probably won't matter unless you want to overclock) and the Asrock board has some clearance issues with certain CPU coolers. Undervolting isn't hard, setting a lower power limit is simpler and won't cause potential instability.

I'm not familiar with a realtime rendering workload like that, but it might be worth looking at an AMD Ryzen 5000-based build as well. Those CPUs are faster/more power efficient. Also the B550 motherboards are cheaper compared to Z490.

CastoroAzzurro

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021

Many thanks for your answer!

I am going to use it for realtime rendering for digital audio-visual installation.

The system I had before was running a i9 9900k, RTX 2080 and 64 gb RAM. It was working decently (in a laptop case), however I had to return it because a faulty motherboard (and an horrible customer service). Hence I thought to build my own laptop.

Is undervolting an hard task? I am really keen to 64gb as I will have to run multiple softwares at the same time.

Can I ask you why would the Aorus Z490i by Gigabyte a better option?

Maybe I should go for a 65 TDP processor such as Intel Core i9-10900 or
I chose the Gigabyte because of its slightly better power delivery (probably won't matter unless you want to overclock) and the Asrock board has some clearance issues with certain CPU coolers. Undervolting isn't hard, setting a lower power limit is simpler and won't cause potential instability.

I'm not familiar with a realtime rendering workload like that, but it might be worth looking at an AMD Ryzen 5000-based build as well. Those CPUs are faster/more power efficient. Also the B550 motherboards are cheaper compared to Z490.

I will have a look at Ryzen build.

Would you recommend me to go for the 750w power supply just to be sure or would that be overkill?

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
The A4 is a great case, however slightly limiting in cooling certain components.
the Cryorig C7c or C7g with a Noctua NF19x14 fan swap can perform quite well and are readily available, i cooled a 3950x in eco mode with one in the A4, however, i would check CPU benchmarks related to your specific workloads, whilst people have recommended a switch to ryzen, some apps still prefer intel, so make your choice based on application usage. if that application requires raw clock speed then a lower TDPpart may not fit the bill, if it's after cores, not clocks then a lower TDPchip would be better suited to the case.
power supply wise, 600w should be plenty, but I am not an intel user, so cannot comment on these 250w load spikes mentioned above, but 600w is fine for my 3950x 6900xt system.

as for SSD, opt for a motherboard with dual m.2 slots, and get a smaller boot drive and larger secondary, also look at the ADATA SX series nvme ssds i find them to perform on par with the Samsung for a much lower price.

additional cooling: rear-mounted nvme drive suffer in the A4 due to its lack of airflow, I ran a 40mm Noctua fan at the top of the case pulling air up behind the motherboard, this greatly reduced my rear nvme temps (i also had a 1.5mm alloy plate stuck tot eh nvme to act as a small sink.
you can add a 92mm intake fan below the psu, but honestly, this had almost zero difference to my overall system temps, i believe newer revisions of the dan case now allow for a 92mm slim fan under the motherboard, this would probably eliminate the need for the 40mm fan to cool the rear nvme, i would recommend larger case feet though if using a bottom intake.
Oh, and blower-style gpu's whilst noiseier I found going from a twin fan gpu to a blower fan card my overall system temps dropped on average between 5-10c on components, but the outside of the case got hotter due to the sinking from the rear IO of the gpu to the case material.

If you do not need to go as small as the A4, look at other options like the S1 or M1, the latter offering much better cooling, the former allowing for better cpu cooling at least.

my 2c: the A4 is a great case but is much more suited to mid-range or more so, lower TDP builds that require portability over performance. whilst high performance is possible it's not necessarily practical, and only slightly larger cases may suit your requirements a tad better. in any case please share your build with us once it is underway.

CastoroAzzurro

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
The A4 is a great case, however slightly limiting in cooling certain components.
the Cryorig C7c or C7g with a Noctua NF19x14 fan swap can perform quite well and are readily available, i cooled a 3950x in eco mode with one in the A4, however, i would check CPU benchmarks related to your specific workloads, whilst people have recommended a switch to ryzen, some apps still prefer intel, so make your choice based on application usage. if that application requires raw clock speed then a lower TDPpart may not fit the bill, if it's after cores, not clocks then a lower TDPchip would be better suited to the case.
power supply wise, 600w should be plenty, but I am not an intel user, so cannot comment on these 250w load spikes mentioned above, but 600w is fine for my 3950x 6900xt system.

as for SSD, opt for a motherboard with dual m.2 slots, and get a smaller boot drive and larger secondary, also look at the ADATA SX series nvme ssds i find them to perform on par with the Samsung for a much lower price.

additional cooling: rear-mounted nvme drive suffer in the A4 due to its lack of airflow, I ran a 40mm Noctua fan at the top of the case pulling air up behind the motherboard, this greatly reduced my rear nvme temps (i also had a 1.5mm alloy plate stuck tot eh nvme to act as a small sink.
you can add a 92mm intake fan below the psu, but honestly, this had almost zero difference to my overall system temps, i believe newer revisions of the dan case now allow for a 92mm slim fan under the motherboard, this would probably eliminate the need for the 40mm fan to cool the rear nvme, i would recommend larger case feet though if using a bottom intake.
Oh, and blower-style gpu's whilst noiseier I found going from a twin fan gpu to a blower fan card my overall system temps dropped on average between 5-10c on components, but the outside of the case got hotter due to the sinking from the rear IO of the gpu to the case material.

If you do not need to go as small as the A4, look at other options like the S1 or M1, the latter offering much better cooling, the former allowing for better cpu cooling at least.

my 2c: the A4 is a great case but is much more suited to mid-range or more so, lower TDP builds that require portability over performance. whilst high performance is possible it's not necessarily practical, and only slightly larger cases may suit your requirements a tad better. in any case please share your build with us once it is underway.
Wow, many thanks for taking the time to reply. It is really helpful!

I want a case that is portable, but if you consider that few cm can make a difference regarding cooling I will definitely consider other cases. I also saw a kolink rocket case that is slightly taller than the A4, what do you think about tha one?

Regarding GPUs, I did not know that blower card exists, unfortunately it is so hard to buy a 3070 in uk at the moment that I might just take what I can... even tho it looks like a blower fan can be so much better!

memory-wise I will check the ADATA u mentioned and I will buy 2 of them. What do you think about 500gb for the operating system and 1/2 TB for the rest?

Some question may result stupid or basic, but I have no experience with pc-building and I am completely new!

Thanks everyone for the help provided so far :)

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
i have 9900KS inside DAN A4 with Asetek 645LT and barely manage to cool it down at stock 5GHz with half of 10900K TDP
The new Gigabyte Z590i Vision D have potential with its 10+1 VRM's, you may get slightly lower temps compared to other boards, but still its gonna be beyond the 645LT possibilities...

EDIT: its possible to run the 10900K, but only on 10 cores with Hyperthreading disabled with Gigabyte Z590i Vision D as the best option for this case/cooling

My PC: i9-9900KS with RTX3090 in DAN A4

Last edited: