Power Supply HDPlex 400w-DC/DC Turning off

Johnboy

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
I'm having an issue with the HDPlex 400.
I had some stuff laying around: An old 2600k (not overclocked), some memory and one ASRock Z77-E ITX. Assembled everything up inside a Silverstone SG08 with a brand new 1080 Mini and I was happy for about a month. It started yesterday, my setup just turns off when I start playing games. I'm using a Dell brick 330w ( I have two bricks because I have another HDPlex 160w in a basic setup). The HDPlex just turns off when the power drawn goes over 220/240w (measured with a Kill-A-Watt). The brick stays on for some seconds and then die too. I tested with the another brick and it's not different, same result. Anyone having the same issue? Any ideas what's the culprit? I'm tending to believe that's a HDPlex problem otherwise what are the odds 2 power bricks with the same trouble.
Thanks for any help.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Well, you can start by checking the TDP of your main components
2600K: 95W
1080 Ti: 250W
----------------------
Total: 395W

Your total maximum system draw is the lower of your AC-DC or DC-DC board. In this case, it would be your Dell 330W brick.

Now, the issue extends to beyond the fact that Nvidia and Intel rates their power as more of an average consumption in intensive scenarios. GPUs often times spikes in power use, that will not show up on a watt-meter.

So the likely cause is your game spikes in power usage, and the AC-DC brick trips its overcurrent protection. You should either tune your system for lower power consumption or change your hardware to match your usage.

You should also ensure that you are using genuine OEM bricks, and not a knock-off product. If you bought from Amazon marketplace or EBAY there is no verified sourcing for the bricks.

Johnboy

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Well, you can start by checking the TDP of your main components
2600K: 95W
1080 Ti: 250W
----------------------
Total: 395W

Your total maximum system draw is the lower of your AC-DC or DC-DC board. In this case, it would be your Dell 330W brick.

Now, the issue extends to beyond the fact that Nvidia and Intel rates their power as more of an average consumption in intensive scenarios. GPUs often times spikes in power use, that will not show up on a watt-meter.

So the likely cause is your game spikes in power usage, and the AC-DC brick trips its overcurrent protection. You should either tune your system for lower power consumption or change your hardware to match your usage.

You should also ensure that you are using genuine OEM bricks, and not a knock-off product. If you bought from Amazon marketplace or EBAY there is no verified sourcing for the bricks.
Thanks for your response.
Both power bricks I bought at Dell website, so it's genuine. You used the 1080TI in your calculations but I have a 1080 mini, so less consumption. But you still can be right regarding power draw. I'll run some testing this weekend with the another setup by installing the 1080 mini in a AsRock z270/ITX-AC along with the i7 7700 (non k) and see how it goes.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for your response.
Both power bricks I bought at Dell website, so it's genuine. You used the 1080TI in your calculations but I have a 1080 mini, so less consumption. But you still can be right regarding power draw. I'll run some testing this weekend with the another setup by installing the 1080 mini in a AsRock z270/ITX-AC along with the i7 7700 (non k) and see how it goes.

Try setting a power 80-90% power limit. Also double check you don't have automatic OC settings on your motherboard. Many "OC" motherboards do this.