Power Supply Funky issue with Dell 330w and HDPLEX 400w

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
It's not that big of an issue or maybe it's catastrophic.

But whenever I plug in my dell power brick there's only a 1 in 10 chance that the HDPLEX's power LED will stay orange more than just the one second before turning off. Is there any reason for this or is my Dell power brick faulty? My system is fine when the HDPLEX works after this initial ritual of plugging and doesn't short at high loads.

help

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
Update, only when I have it plugged in (the dc output of the Dell and the dc input of the hdplex) and I connect the disconnected AC input plug (the three prong thing) will the HDPLEX stay on. It seems like I can't plug the dell power brick directly into the hdplex but instead do a more complicated process.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Is it a genuine brick? There's been a bunch of reports of knock-off dell bricks that have had similar issues :/

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
Bought mine from Amazon, one day shipping and 4k ratings seller. I haven't done anything crazy like run cinebench or render video on it (gtx 1060 build btw), neither used the multimeter. I do not know the usual issue signs of a knock-off dell brick, unless your talking about my way of connecting the three prong plug with it plugged in. But we can figure this out with the description of it.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dell-330w-brick-problem.3671/
I have right now one of the two power bricks featured in a comment of this guy's post. It is the EXACT one he has, with the dell logo in some default crappy font and "Delta Electronics Inc." at the bottom left. The plug also has the same eight ridges on it with no ring led, and the "DP/N" is 0XM3C3. I feel trolled though as the only thread (that one) has the answer and I can't tell whether the top or bottom dell brick is genuine, they didn't describe which clear enough lol. Tell me if this is a known knockoff, one I actually know is the "Replacement AC Adapter" sticker one.

My budget is a shoestring but also used right so I don't know about ebay (my friend is buying the fifty dollar one lol) and directly from dell's site either.

Here is my power brick as described, and I could honestly keep using it if I didn't stress my system but I want the right one;

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
I’m beating a dead horse, but if someone with a known good one could just flip their dell 330w and see the sticker if its the same as mine, it would be cool. And also recommend some good sources for the brick... maybe I should return this amazon one and stretch my budget :/

EDIT: I got a legit power brick from ebay for much cheaper, and it doesn't have the crappy issue, all in life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: confusis

Mansouri

Cable Smoosher
Feb 8, 2018
Hey @ferdiptsy I am having the same exact issue
it worked the very first time then i turned it off and after about 30 minutes I connected the brick to my build and nothing happened. It seems like if the brick is tripping due to higher draw. I disconnected my GPU and tried again and nothing happened (1080 mini).

Is there anything different between the brick which picture you posted here (coz it looks exacly like mine) and the one you got off ebay?

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
Hey,

So your brick can't handle the initial startup? Right. Same problem, bloop and no light.

Honestly there's a crapton of different models fake and real in the power brick ecosystem and mine from ebay was working fine. By the way, I have a gtx 1060 and 65watt cpu, therefore I can't truly stress test it unless I overrun the system. Therefore your problem wasn't the gpu's fault.

Yeah with the ebay brick there is definitely a gentle static pop (not a bad sign) or the sound of electricity going through initially when I connect my dell power brick to the HDPLEX, the fake one was silent. Also, my ebay brick was "pre owned" which is in my opinion better than the refurbished sellers. Get your power brick from that random joe with 200 ratings over 10 years...

You see, it's well worn!

Mansouri

Cable Smoosher
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for the fast reply! Yep that brick shows character with all the worn bits :)

I'll do that, maybe hit the forum here first, i've seen some of them pop up now and then

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Is that "pop" from plugging in the Dell 330w brick a good thing or a bad thing? Is it indicative of a fake brick vs a real one?

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
This particular pop is pretty subtle and discreet, I wouldn’t even call it that rather more just electrical contact. You can't even really hear it when you plug it in the HDPLEX's dc in. Now I’m a little worried myself, ayyy lmao devil’s advocate. But it's not like a frickin'... full-blown spark or anything. If anyone else has the "pop" as it's called let the thread know, but I'll go with the proverbial "it's gon' be alright".

You know it's strange that I never heard it from the amazon power brick. Lol.

Ah yes, here it is, it's the grounding pin, or loose electrical contacts. Whatever it is the HDPLEX is ready to go when it's plugged in.
https://superuser.com/questions/338263/is-it-normal-for-the-laptop-charger-to-spark-when-plugging-in

Last edited by a moderator: