News HDPlex 200W AC-DC - I'm surprised nobody is talking about this

[URL='https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html']https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html[/URL]

or this:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-200w-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Gosh, i'm HYPED AS FUCK!!!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
He DID NOT offer a repacement item! Take it or leave it.

Of course I understand he doesnt see the items shipped but when I report an issue regarding a damaged item I'd expect it to be exchanged for an undamaged one. Which shop refuses to replace a damaged item you paid full price for?

Second, how nice of you to tell me it will fit! Thanks for the tip but I would hope you'd expect me to have tried that. Maybe there could be a capacitator blocking the 2 addtional pins?

Third, he posts wrong info on his website yet acts as if I'm the one in error.

These aren't 'mistakes'. This is unacceptable behaviour frankly and I would expect people here not to whitewash valid complaints.

I am not "whitewashing" anything. Your complaints are most certainly valid, but directing them at Larry is not valid. When he said return it, he quite possibly meant return it for a new one. I've interpreted it this way in the past, and I've sent it back, and got an new one in the mail a few days later.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not about just plugging the thing in, but there is no way a capacitor is blocking it, as DC-out on the ac-dc and DC-in on the DC-ATX both have connector attached to a length of wire.

No possible way a capacitor could get in the way. Perhaps you were trying to plug the DC-in cable from the AC-DC into the GPU power connector?

It's not necessarily wrong information on the site, you're probably a victim of factory error.

These are mistakes, and not all of them are larry's fault.

Hope that clears something up! :)

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
I am not "whitewashing" anything. Your complaints are most certainly valid, but directing them at Larry is not valid. When he said return it, he quite possibly meant return it for a new one. I've interpreted it this way in the past, and I've sent it back, and got an new one in the mail a few days later.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not about just plugging the thing in, but there is no way a capacitor is blocking it, as DC-out on the ac-dc and DC-in on the DC-ATX both have connector attached to a length of wire.

No possible way a capacitor could get in the way. Perhaps you were trying to plug the DC-in cable from the AC-DC into the GPU power connector?

It's not necessarily wrong information on the site, you're probably a victim of factory error.

These are mistakes, and not all of them are larry's fault.

Hope that clears something up! :)

Wow you make so many wrong assumptions! And continue to misread what I write. Those are frankly very annoying traits.

1. No he specifically refused to exchange it. This is not a factory error nor a mistake in judgement.

2. I don't use that HDPlex DC-ATX PSU but another one altogether.

3. The 200W AC-DC unit has 6 connectors. The spec sheet and images on the website were cq are wrong This is not a factory error.

I think I made my points and you refuse to accept them at face value so it seems. Fine. This is very tiresome so I will leave it at that. Potential buyers should be warned!

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
It's a newly designed product, like I said, so it is bound to have some discrepancies on the page and actual production unit etc.

Can you post pictures of your current ac-dc unit and dc-atx unit?

With your replies so far I assumed you've got the new 200W ac-dc, with 6 pin output, while you've got the older dc-atx 160W, with 4 pin output.

Also you should also have an intermediary male to male cable (usually yellow-black one) that goes between the two input and output, since both are females.

Can you post pics of that as well?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
@parlinone , I know you're angry but we're here to help you. @Windfall hasn't said anything rude, he's just clarifying things.

If you find larry to be unlikeable you're free to do so and I won't contest that nor do I have the power to do so.

But you don't want to stuck with unusable hardware, so let's try and fix that, shall we?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Forgive me to dig out your old posts, but I think I saw your problem now.

This is you dc atx unit, am I right?
Now is the bottom right corner, 4 pin molex port the input?

If it is so then I can see the probability that the capacitor right next to it would block a 6 pin insertion.

Problem is, hdplex ac dc units came with female sockets.

I can't remember if the intermediary cable comes with the ac-dc or dc-atx, but assuming you have it, I'll say it is safe to cut it off, just the part that hits the capacitor.

Make sure to insulate the cut cables individually to not short out or touch anything else on your case.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
damn-it-karen-5c2a35.jpg
Seems appropriate to the situation. If you want help, sympathy or positive interest maybe you could have started with:
Images of the defective unit

Images of the hdplex

More specificity, nobody has a clue in hell as to what you're talking about because the hdplex is made of two parts, generally referred to by the same/similar names (you said dc-atx, but seem to actually be referring to a dc-dc unit)

Reactions: Choidebu

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Chill y'all.

@parlinone Yelling at a member trying to be helpful isn't going to solve anything - all it does is make me have to respond to reports and I hate dealing with reported posts. Don't be a dick. Windfall was trying to clarify the situation and offer an opinion, not become HDPlex's customer support.

Resume normality.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Wow you make so many wrong assumptions! And continue to misread what I write. Those are frankly very annoying traits.

1. No he specifically refused to exchange it. This is not a factory error nor a mistake in judgement.

2. I don't use that HDPlex DC-ATX PSU but another one altogether.

3. The 200W AC-DC unit has 6 connectors. The spec sheet and images on the website were cq are wrong This is not a factory error.

I think I made my points and you refuse to accept them at face value so it seems. Fine. This is very tiresome so I will leave it at that. Potential buyers should be warned!

I would like to see screenshots of larry refusing a replacement, as that would be a shock to everyone on this forum. If you bought it from HDPlex, or their amazon/ebay stores, he will replace it no questions asked.

Secondly, if you are trying to use another brand's DC-ATX unit, Larry is in no way obligated to support you, and you should be prepared to make custom cables.

Third, I don't see any images of the molex connection in pictures on the site, and all mention of it says that it is 6-pin. There is no indication of a 4-pin molex connection. There was on the HDPlex 160W, but not the 200W. Just because there are four output wires is irrelevant, as they are jumped from connector to connector, like how two pins are jumped to four on the HDplex 80W.

I have seen your points, and acknowledged them. Multiple times, I think. Regardless, please, continue this discussion. Talking about these issues and reaching a consensus is what makes this community stronger as a whole.

I appreciate you taking your time to add another perspective for prospective buyers! :)

It's a newly designed product, like I said, so it is bound to have some discrepancies on the page and actual production unit etc.

Can you post pictures of your current ac-dc unit and dc-atx unit?

With your replies so far I assumed you've got the new 200W ac-dc, with 6 pin output, while you've got the older dc-atx 160W, with 4 pin output.

Also you should also have an intermediary male to male cable (usually yellow-black one) that goes between the two input and output, since both are females.

Can you post pics of that as well?
@parlinone , I know you're angry but we're here to help you. @Windfall hasn't said anything rude, he's just clarifying things.

If you find larry to be unlikeable you're free to do so and I won't contest that nor do I have the power to do so.

But you don't want to stuck with unusable hardware, so let's try and fix that, shall we?

Yeah, @parlinone, let's get your machine working, first. If that capacitor is in the way, you should be able to cut it off!

Edit: "It" being the extra two pins on the cable, not your capacitor! XD

Chill y'all.

@parlinone Yelling at a member trying to be helpful isn't going to solve anything - all it does is make me have to respond to reports and I hate dealing with reported posts. Don't be a dick. Windfall was trying to clarify the situation and offer an opinion, not become HDPlex's customer support.

Resume normality.

I am ice cube:

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
If the guy got his old ebay bought hdplex 160w ac dc, wouldn't it come with the old yellow-black 4 pin male to 4 pin male cable?

Can't you just use that? Leave 2 pins on the new brick's side uninserted.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If the guy got his old ebay bought hdplex 160w ac dc, wouldn't it come with the old yellow-black 4 pin male to 4 pin male cable?

Can't you just use that? Leave 2 pins on the new brick's side uninserted.
It should work, larry told me they're backwards compatible!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Larry doesn't ever see the units he sells for the most part. The factory ships to a warehouse, the warehouse ships to you. If it is factory error, you can't blame larry for that, really. Also, you can still plug the 6 pin into the four pin, it won't make a difference, so you should be good. You shouldn't have had to cut it.

And the fact that he offered return/replacement is good, not bad. Larry is most definitely not a donkey-hole, having catered to this forums whims for years now. Every time I've had an issue with his products, he's done everything he can to get me up and going again.

Please remember that people like him are for the most part a one-man show, and it's not easy being engineering and customer support simultaneously.

We're all human; mistakes happen! And that's OK!

:)

Not trying to complain or anything - I don't have any experience with HDPlex good or bad.

I bolded a statement in the quote - HDPlex is absolutely 100% responsible for an error the factory made. They are selling a product branded as "HDPlex" it doesn't matter where it is made, if mistakes are coming out of the factory and not caught by HDPlex then it is a shortcoming of HDPlex's business model and lack of oversight or choice of factory/contractor.

Reactions: laiv and NateDawg72

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Not trying to complain or anything - I don't have any experience with HDPlex good or bad.

I bolded a statement in the quote - HDPlex is absolutely 100% responsible for an error the factory made. They are selling a product branded as "HDPlex" it doesn't matter where it is made, if mistakes are coming out of the factory and not caught by HDPlex then it is a shortcoming of HDPlex's business model and lack of oversight or choice of factory/contractor.

This is very true, but badmouthing Larry because of it is not valid, as you're expecting big-company support from a one-man small business.

And as I said, Larry will replace it unconditionally. I highly doubt he refused a replacement.

I do agree that this is HDplex's fault, but I don't agree that it merits badmouthing of Larry, and I won't until I see evidence that he refused a replacement.

Hope that clears up something, somehow!

:)

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
I wrote about the 200w AC-DC and DC-ATX combo in long-form where I called them almost perfect. But here's the gist:

Despite them being available as a combo, I recommend the DC-ATX plugin unit more than the AC-DC unit. The potential for noise from the AC-DC converter is too great, and can dampen the excitement of any build. The exclusion of a C6 inlet may put users / components more at risk than desired. I understand that HDPLEX is unable to cater their product to fit every niche, but I believe it is equally important for consumers to be aware of potential caveats.

The DC-ATX unit I can recommend with very little reservations. At the moment, it’s probably the highest quality DC-ATX plugin unit that is commercially available. The only reason to avoid the unit is if there is a clearance issue with either a CPU cooler that’s not 100% RAM compatible or slim cases with a sub-45mm cooler height. For builds, I’d pair the DC-ATX unit with a 240W slim 19v brick for a nice gaming machine (Ryzen 5 3600 + 1660 Super / 2060 Super + mod free S4M) or workstation (Ryzen 9 3900x + Scythe Big Shuriken 3 + Lone L5 or even a NH-U9S in a LZ7).

If only HDPLEX had two SKUs: a 12v AC-DC + DC-ATX plugin combo, and a 19v plugin unit + slim brick — then we’d be living in a perfect world.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
I actually wonder, if the 200w dc/atx with a decent dell ac/dc unit could run an 8th/9th gen i5 (non k) with the new 1650 super.

Btw, what a performance gap between 1650 and 1650S. Im running the pico psu 160xt/192W ac/dc currently. I'm fine with 75W gpus in general but it seems, the sweet spot of price to performance gpus seems to be at a gpu level that requires a 6pin (so max 120/150W gpus). I almost bought the 1650 but im really torn, seeing the 1650S.

Maybe its time to kind of upgrade to the HDPlex 200W dc/atx. I really dont know if i should wait a little longer for the rx5300 to see, if it manages to close the gap between 1650 and 1650S at (hopefully) 75W. On the other side, maybe the 1650 will now get a major msrp drop.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I actually wonder, if the 200w dc/atx with a decent dell ac/dc unit could run an 8th/9th gen i5 (non k) with the new 1650 super.

Btw, what a performance gap between 1650 and 1650S. Im running the pico psu 160xt/192W ac/dc currently. I'm fine with 75W gpus in general but it seems, the sweet spot of price to performance gpus seems to be at a gpu level that requires a 6pin (so max 120/150W gpus). I almost bought the 1650 but im really torn, seeing the 1650S.

Maybe its time to kind of upgrade to the HDPlex 200W dc/atx. I really dont know if i should wait a little longer for the rx5300 to see, if it manages to close the gap between 1650 and 1650S at (hopefully) 75W. On the other side, maybe the 1650 will now get a major msrp drop.
What are some of the real world power draws on the 1650S?

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
What are some of the real world power draws on the 1650S?

According to techspot/hardwareunboxed:
"Our test system is the same we use for most GPU reviews, a Core i9-9900K clocked at 5 GHz with 16GB of DDR4-3400 memory."
Their system power consumption while Crysis 3 (very high settings on 1440p) was at 221w and 64w on idle.

221w while gaming (well just Crysis 3 but better than no results!) with an i9-9900k at 5GHz is not that bad. That is what made me curious about how power consumption could look like with an i5 8th/9th gen non-k processor.

Reactions: Jello

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I've been retiring my prototype unit for a while, in favour of meanwell and/or battery for a good while now. But these past couple of days it's back in again and I noticed interference noise on audio output (with jack).

Anybody experienced this? Definitely wasn't there when I'm on meanwell or battery, problem is I've been using the hdplex for years but only ever used digital output (dp/hdmi or bluetooth) so of course no interference.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Has anyone tried this combo in the Velka 3 yet? I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to be a popular combo.