News HDPlex 200W AC-DC - I'm surprised nobody is talking about this

[URL='https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html']https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html[/URL]

or this:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-200w-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Gosh, i'm HYPED AS FUCK!!!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Normal I guess. I'm pulling 180W from the wall with my current setup (peak artificial load). When I get my hands on a 1650 I'll be pulling close to 200W, will be reporting back. But don't count on it being this year haha

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Here's a brickless 1650 build in the s4m with the new units. One thing to watch out for is that the plugin unit has tall heat sinks which rub up against the case -- making it somewhat difficult to close the case.

Very nice! Mind if you could mention which manufacture's GPU model is? Also which CPU?

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Very nice! Mind if you could mention which manufacture's GPU model is? Also which CPU?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
Motherboard: ASRock B450 itx
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB DDR4-3000
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB WINDFORCE OC

So well within the 200w budget. One could easily sneak in a 95w cpu if they so desired.

Reactions: A415Hz

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
So well within the 200w budget. One could easily sneak in a 95w cpu if they so desired.

Thanks for responding. Very appreciative!

With regard to 95w TDP CPU, I am sure it depends ultimately. Perhaps, something as demanding as 9900K maybe difficult for HDPLEX 200w unit with 75w TDP graphics card, when I read power consumption of 204.6w from torture test like this one: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html.

Nevertheless, I am guessing most 95w TDP CPU, even including 8700K, is still fine according to KMPKT from this thread, with his kind sharing of 8700K (95w TDP) and P2000 (75w TDP) drawing about 170w without needing to undervolt.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

I ordered the 200W bundle and received it today very happy about it fitting inside the FX 4.7L. The R9 Nano @600Mhz draws 125W in Furmark. R5 3600 @49W PPT draws 50W in Prime. Nice side effect is the silence... both coolers are handling the reduced power draw very good.
Awesome! I think this may be the first time I've finally seen someone put an AC/DC-DC/DC power supply in a mini-sandwich case in place of the FlexATX. Now, just figure out how to get a 300w or 400w brick in there... :)

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Awesome! I think this may be the first time I've finally seen someone put an AC/DC-DC/DC power supply in a mini-sandwich case in place of the FlexATX. Now, just figure out how to get a 300w or 400w brick in there...

The dream for me is still a plug in 300W/400W unit in smaller form factor, but Rome was not built in a day!

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
hey guys, does anyone know if the HDplex 200w AC-DC unit can be used to power a HDplex 400W DC-ATX (up to the 200w limit, of course)?

In other words, does the plugins fit with backwards compatibility?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Older HDplex 160W ac-dc and dc-atx combo had 4 pin connector.

Meanwhile 300W and 400W combo consecutively had 6 pin connector. It's just 19VDC at the top (the side with the tab lock) and GND at the bottom, so it is compatible. You'd just have one pair of pins not mated.

Looking at the new 200W dc-atx, it's got 6 pin input but the 200w ac-dc still got 4 pin markings on its casing. Doesn't change a thing about compatibility though.

Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016

Meanwhile 300W and 400W combo consecutively had 6 pin connector. It's just 19VDC at the top (the side with the tab lock) and GND at the bottom, so it is compatible. You'd just have one pair of pins not mated.

Looking at the new 200W dc-atx, it's got 6 pin input but the 200w ac-dc still got 4 pin markings on its casing. Doesn't change a thing about compatibility though.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
I bought the 200W AC-DC adapter after my 160W AC-DC adapter from HD-Plex suddenly died on me, and have mixed feelings of the product and service. I did not receive any warranty on the 160W adapter because it was 'a stolen batch' offered on eBay, which apparently also was defective. Money gone.

So the shiny new 200W adapter arrived last week.

First of all it arrived pretty dented on one side. But besides that my DC-ATX PSU has a 4-pin power input and as all the pictures AND the specifications illustrated and stated, the 200W adapter should have a 4-pin DC output. It has six.

First, Larry flat out denied: we only produce a 6-pin output. Only after I send him a screenshot of the stated specs and pictures on the website showing 4 wires did he admitted that was a mistake and told me bluntly if I didnt like that I was welcome to return it.

Too bad there aren't many comparable alternatives and I wanted my machine back running asap or I would have returned the item.

I could cut the 6-pin to a 4-pin output to connect it and got it working, but what a prick. NOT recommended.

Last edited:

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017

that's incorrect info on the website, it's got a 6 pin output. He adjusted the spec page but it still got the wrong pictures.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I bought the 200W AC-DC adapter after my 160W AC-DC adapter from HD-Plex suddenly died on me, and have mixed feelings of the product and service. I did not receive any warranty on the 160W adapter because it was 'a stolen batch' offered on eBay, which apparently also was defective. Money gone.

So the shiny new 200W adapter arrived last week.

First of all it arrived pretty dented on one side. But besides that my DC-ATX PSU has a 4-pin power input and as all the pictures AND the specifications illustrated and stated, the 200W adapter should have a 4-pin DC output. It has six.

First, Larry flat out denied: we only produce a 6-pin output. Only after I send him a screenshot of the stated specs and pictures on the website showing 4 wires did he admitted that was a mistake and told me bluntly if I didnt like that I was welcome to return it.

Too bad there aren't many comparable alternatives and I wanted my machine back running asap or I would have returned the item.

I could cut the 6-pin to a 4-pin output to connect it and got it working, but what an incredible asshole. NOT recommended.

that's incorrect info on the website, it's got a 6 pin output. He adjusted the spec page but it still got the wrong pictures.

Larry doesn't ever see the units he sells for the most part. The factory ships to a warehouse, the warehouse ships to you. If it is factory error, you can't blame larry for that, really. Also, you can still plug the 6 pin into the four pin, it won't make a difference, so you should be good. You shouldn't have had to cut it.

And the fact that he offered return/replacement is good, not bad. Larry is most definitely not a donkey-hole, having catered to this forums whims for years now. Every time I've had an issue with his products, he's done everything he can to get me up and going again.

Please remember that people like him are for the most part a one-man show, and it's not easy being engineering and customer support simultaneously.

We're all human; mistakes happen! And that's OK!

:)

Reactions: 6FeaT and rfarmer

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
Larry doesn't ever see the units he sells for the most part. The factory ships to a warehouse, the warehouse ships to you. If it is factory error, you can't blame larry for that, really. Also, you can still plug the 6 pin into the four pin, it won't make a difference, so you should be good. You shouldn't have had to cut it.

And the fact that he offered return/replacement is good, not bad. Larry is most definitely not a donkey-hole, having catered to this forums whims for years now. Every time I've had an issue with his products, he's done everything he can to get me up and going again.

Please remember that people like him are for the most part a one-man show, and it's not easy being engineering and customer support simultaneously.

We're all human; mistakes happen! And that's OK!

:)

He DID NOT offer a repacement item! Take it or leave it.

Of course I understand he doesnt see the items shipped but when I report an issue regarding a damaged item I'd expect it to be exchanged for an undamaged one. Which shop refuses to replace a damaged item you paid full price for?

Second, how nice of you to tell me it will fit! Thanks for the tip but I would hope you'd expect me to have tried that. Maybe there could be a capacitator blocking the 2 addtional pins?

Third, he posts wrong info on his website yet acts as if I'm the one in error.

These aren't 'mistakes'. This is unacceptable behaviour frankly and I would expect people here not to whitewash valid complaints.

Last edited:
Reactions: laiv