Cooling Has anyone tried a Noctua L12S with a 140mm fan strapped on top?

bholenath

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
As the title says.

Has anyone tried a Noctua L12S with a 140mm fan strapped on top? (And or without a 120mm slim fan underneath)

I'm trying to find the best compromise for a build/case that I am planning and would like to use a 5900/5950x with Air Cooling. Ideally I would have used a Noctua C14S since the reports state that that is adequate for those parts, but it's quite big and would make the sandwhich a bit tooo fat.

TIA

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
My gut feeling would be that it actually could perform worse than a 120mm fan because there is no frame that forces the air through the radiator. Air is mostly being blown out at the end of the blades so you could be blowing most of it next to the radiator rather than through it.

Reactions: rfarmer

bholenath

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
My gut feeling would be that it actually could perform worse than a 120mm fan because there is no frame that forces the air through the radiator. Air is mostly being blown out at the end of the blades so you could be blowing most of it next to the radiator rather than through it.

Thanks,

do you think it would help at all if I were to use it in sort of a push-pull configuration? I.E. Use the L12S as intended but add a 140 or even a 120mm FAN on top. This was I'm still saving 20mm over a C14S with the fan under the heatsink.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Sorry I did not see your post until tonight. I tested the Arctic P14 against a number of 120mm fans at:

Regards,