Hard resets when gaming on new sff build

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Hi guys

I've been getting hard resets playing games on my SFF build with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700 + Noctua NH l9i
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING LGA1151
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GeForce GTX 1060 6gb SC GAMING Graphics Card
HDPlex 160W + Dell 330-Watt AC Adapter
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
Windows 10 Home

I thought the issue was that my GTX1060 was using too much power for the HDPlex since its factory overclocked, so I have been underclocking it using EVGA's precision XOC, setting the power target between 75-85%, but I can't seem to find a stable setting. It looks like there is a voltage setting as well but I haven't been messing with that.

Does anyone with more experience with this mobo/GPU/PSU/memory combo have some advice for me?

I don't play especially graphics intensive games... Just started playing Divinity 2: Original Sin and that lasted about two hours before the first reset. I've also gotten resets playing Overcooked 2, Starcraft 2, and BioShock Remastered. Been able to play Warcraft 3 with no issues. GPU temps seem to stay around 50 C.

Thanks for the help!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
160w to power a 7700 + 1060 (and other components) might be the issue. A rig similar than yours, but with an i5-6600k (not OC) and a reference GTX1060 (not OC), peaks at 210w while gaming.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Hi guys

I've been getting hard resets playing games on my SFF build with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700 + Noctua NH l9i
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING LGA1151
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GeForce GTX 1060 6gb SC GAMING Graphics Card
HDPlex 160W + Dell 330-Watt AC Adapter
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
Windows 10 Home

I thought the issue was that my GTX1060 was using too much power for the HDPlex since its factory overclocked, so I have been underclocking it using EVGA's precision XOC, setting the power target between 75-85%, but I can't seem to find a stable setting. It looks like there is a voltage setting as well but I haven't been messing with that.

Does anyone with more experience with this mobo/GPU/PSU/memory combo have some advice for me?

I don't play especially graphics intensive games... Just started playing Divinity 2: Original Sin and that lasted about two hours before the first reset. I've also gotten resets playing Overcooked 2, Starcraft 2, and BioShock Remastered. Been able to play Warcraft 3 with no issues. GPU temps seem to stay around 50 C.

Thanks for the help!

There are no guarantee's of a stable system with a GTX 1060 and HDPlex 160w (It's pushing it) there are micro voltage spikes that can for milliseconds push the HDPlex over causing lock ups or resets. Do you have another PSU you can test with such as an ordinary ATX PSU or SFF PSU?

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I don't have a different PSU I can use to test unfortunately...

Is there a better way to limit the power consumption on the rig?

Using the Power Target function on Precision XOC doesn't seem to be cutting it for me.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
MSI Afterburner is a popular program, it may be better at limiting power draw than Precision XOC. Also, does your BIOS have any settings to limit power draw by your CPU? I doubt the CPU is drawing too much power, but every little bit counts when you're this close to the design limits of the system.

Are you in Europe by any chance? @Kmpkt may have some Dynamo 360 in stock in Europe that I *think* you can use in combination with the HDPlex 160 and your current power brick (which is sized appropriately to supply power to the whole system).

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Is your OS Windows?
Try going to Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings (or just Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options)
Go to Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state and set a lower percentage and see if power throttling your CPU helps.

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
MSI Afterburner is a popular program, it may be better at limiting power draw than Precision XOC. Also, does your BIOS have any settings to limit power draw by your CPU? I doubt the CPU is drawing too much power, but every little bit counts when you're this close to the design limits of the system.

Are you in Europe by any chance? @Kmpkt may have some Dynamo 360 in stock in Europe that I *think* you can use in combination with the HDPlex 160 and your current power brick (which is sized appropriately to supply power to the whole system).

I heard about Afterburner. I could give that a try. I'll look to see if there's a power limit in the BIOS as well.

I live in the UK. What I have is actually the Dynamo Mini even though I purchased it from HDPlex. I had contacted @Kmpkt beforehand and he said the Dynamo Mini and the HDPlex 160W DC-ATX are the same unit and that HDPlex was selling his stock of the Dynamo Mini in its place because they had a temporary shortage.

He also said the 160W DC-ATX/Dynamo Mini should be able to run a 1060 without an issue as its actual peak operating wattage is 200W. But I'm not sure if anyone had tested the OC version.

If the Dynamo 360 would solve the issue then I might as well just get one of those.

Is your OS Windows?
Try going to Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings (or just Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options)
Go to Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state and set a lower percentage and see if power throttling your CPU helps.

Cool, I'll give this a try too.

Thanks guys, I'll report back.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I heard about Afterburner. I could give that a try. I'll look to see if there's a power limit in the BIOS as well.

I live in the UK. What I have is actually the Dynamo Mini even though I purchased it from HDPlex. I had contacted @Kmpkt beforehand and he said the Dynamo Mini and the HDPlex 160W DC-ATX are the same unit and that HDPlex was selling his stock of the Dynamo Mini in its place because they had a temporary shortage.

He also said the 160W DC-ATX/Dynamo Mini should be able to run a 1060 without an issue as its actual peak operating wattage is 200W. But I'm not sure if anyone had tested the OC version.

If the Dynamo 360 would solve the issue then I might as well just get one of those.

Cool, I'll give this a try too.

Thanks guys, I'll report back.

Definitely a power delivery issue.
Good luck!

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
I also thought I might be able to limit the power draw of my graphics card so I could run my SFF build with the hdplex 160w, but it wasn't cutting it. I didn't want to damage it over time either so I decommissioned it in favor of the 400w hdplex unit instead. things seem to work fine now with the same dell 330w brick! Running a ryzen 7 1700x and an rtx 2060 both either stock or power limited.

the 400w hdplex is a beauty!

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I also thought I might be able to limit the power draw of my graphics card so I could run my SFF build with the hdplex 160w, but it wasn't cutting it. I didn't want to damage it over time either so I decommissioned it in favor of the 400w hdplex unit instead. things seem to work fine now with the same dell 330w brick! Running a ryzen 7 1700x and an rtx 2060 both either stock or power limited.

the 400w hdplex is a beauty!

Hmmm would I be better off getting a Dynamo 360 to chain with the Dynamo Mini, or should I just get the HDPlex 400 to replace it? It's only a difference of $20.

I like that the Dynamo seems to use fewer cables so wouldn't clutter up the inside of the chassis as much, but it's out of stock on sfflab right now...

Last edited:

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
Hmmm would I be better off getting a Dynamo 360 to chain with the Dynamo Mini, or should I just get the HDPlex 400 to replace it? It's only a difference of $20.

I like that the Dynamo seems to use fewer cables so wouldn't clutter up the inside of the chassis as much, but it's out of stock on sfflab right now...

i guess it depends on:
- your actual case: how much room it has, how well-suited it is for either case
- your budget: 20$ more
- the time you are willing to wait for a replacement: hdplex is available and ships quite fast in my personal experience

the hdplex 400 is a complete DC-DC unit, unlike the Dynamo duo thing. if you buy the hdplex 400, you have a spare complete DC-DC unit that is the Dynamo mini, in addition to a complete more powerful unit. with the Dynamo 360, you end up with only one complete unit still. lots to think about :)

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
160w to power a 7700 + 1060 (and other components) might be the issue.

Fully agree here, I would put my money on it being the HDPlex 160.

There are no guarantee's of a stable system with a GTX 1060 and HDPlex 160w (It's pushing it) there are micro voltage spikes that can for milliseconds push the HDPlex over causing lock ups or resets.

Unfortunately @hyperborea, your PSU just wont cut it for that rig. Some folks can drive similar set-ups but it is highly variable with the HDPlex in general. I tried to run an i5-6500 and 960 (same TDP targets) with 2 different 160w units from HDPlex and whenever loading up the GPU it always shut itself down. Tested on other power supplies without issue. You will need to change that, the 330w brick will not help you with the 160w unit. Fortunately, @hdplex has such great service, you may be able to just swap it out for a higher wattage model and just re-purpose your 330w brick since you already have it!

I just get the HDPlex 400 to replace it?

1000% yes. Let us know how it goes!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

@Kmpkt has stated on these forums he still has some units left in Europe (not through SFF labs) I think you need to contact him directly. Not sure on pricing or if they are still availble.

I'd say if you have the space the HDPlex400 is probably a good choice to purchase as you can repackage your current 160. But, packaging is significantly different as you get the awful 24pin cable back!

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
@Kmpkt has stated on these forums he still has some units left in Europe (not through SFF labs) I think you need to contact him directly. Not sure on pricing or if they are still availble.

I'd say if you have the space the HDPlex400 is probably a good choice to purchase as you can repackage your current 160. But, packaging is significantly different as you get the awful 24pin cable back!

Waiting to see what @Kmpkt says. Does he check these forums regularly?

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Just ordered an HDPlex 400W. Larry already found someone who needs a replacement 160W so it should be painless swap.

Reactions: smitty2k1