News Hades Canyon NUC Reviews with Benchmarks

Embargo lifted today it seems, reviews are showing up everywhere.

Tom's Hardware

Anandtech

Tweaktown

PCPer

HotHardware

Clip of final thoughts from Tom's:

"Our first experience with Intel's NUC8i7HVK leaves us impressed. The company crams an amazing amount of functionality into a very compact form factor. As we've come to expect from fast PCs in small cases, you'll have to pay a premium for such an uncommon combination. And even after spending $1000 on the barebones platform, memory, storage, and an OS still need to be added.

Given the lack of affordable graphics cards right now, we set out to determine whether this system is a suitable substitute for building a gaming box at marked-up prices. For comparison, we paired a number of inexpensive CPUs with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (currently starting around $350). In some games, entry-level processors hold the GeForce back. And in those situations, Intel's NUC shows that it can compete. Other titles are inherently more graphics-bound, allowing Nvidia's card to walk away from the Vega GPU. Your experience will depend on what you're playing..."

Here's one of the better comparison charts that compares the RX560 and 1050 Ti from PCPer:

Last edited:

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
33dBa on light load? Well, that's a bit loud. Apparently the fans turn off when the CPU's below 50C though.
Edit: Just seen that the GH variant goes for 899€ here, so it should be an absolute no brainer when comparing current GPU prices.

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
In a vacuum, the NUC is interesting. However, when you factor in say a Zotac EN1060, it suddenly seems niche, over priced, and outgunned.

It's still a cool design though, and part of me would love to have one. Thank you to Intel for the rear audio ports.

riposte

Trash Compacter
Dec 9, 2017
Sorry, too lazy to create a thread because I think it's still relevant to the topic, Kaby Lake G.

promotion.chuwi.com/chuwi_HiGame_2018/
I never expect this brand will joining SFF market. I hope it's far cheaper than Intel NUC
I don't get it why placing TB3 on the front, it should be at behind. I hope they will re-engineering it.

articles
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Chuwi...me-mini-PC-with-Kaby-Lake-G-CPU.295884.0.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/243084/chuwi-prepares-their-higame-mini-gaming-pc-with-kaby-lake-g-cpu
https://liliputing.com/2018/04/chuw...ake-g-cpu-with-amd-graphics-crowdfunding.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
In a vacuum, the NUC is interesting. However, when you factor in say a Zotac EN1060, it suddenly seems niche, over priced, and outgunned.

It's still a cool design though, and part of me would love to have one. Thank you to Intel for the rear audio ports.

Yeah I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing it to the 7500T/1060 version of the Magnus. The NUC is about 100 bucks more, and I do like the styling and form factor enough to spend 100 bucks, but I want to know if the 7500T/1060 performs better. From the benchmarks comparing the NUC to the 1080 Magnus I think the NUC actually might outperform the Magnus.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Yeah I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing it to the 7500T/1060 version of the Magnus. The NUC is about 100 bucks more, and I do like the styling and form factor enough to spend 100 bucks, but I want to know if the 7500T/1060 performs better. From the benchmarks comparing the NUC to the 1080 Magnus I think the NUC actually might outperform the Magnus.
lol im a bit late to reply but i dont even mind if its not its so tiny I want it anyways and im on a mission to sell this rig ive got just to get my hands on one >.< i honestly forgot they had even came out and the deal i got on this tower with the monitor was a no brainer, but since its a gsync display i might end up swapping it off for its freesync brother if i can manage to do so..

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I got my hades nuc from someone on facebook, they won it at an intel event earlier last week.
First thing I noticed is the stock thermal paste is absolute rubbish.
Changing it for me was a must, was reaching 95c and throttling bad... now at full load i don't get more than 82c. So a huge improvement and Im not using anything special in terms of paste... just EK's non conductive paste they include with their water blocks.
Otherwise than this, if you guys want any specific benchmarks let me know and Ill be happy to run them for you.
I've got the HVK model.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@ 4.1 ghz it runs the same as a 6700k @ 4.0 ghz ! Not bad at all !!!
And all the temps you see below are after changing the thermal paste.

This last one is running CPU burner 8threads ..... 39 c idle / 83 c max load @ 4.1 ghz

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@ 4.1 ghz it runs the same as a 6700k @ 4.0 ghz ! Not bad at all !!!

So really the thermal paste application may have just been a poor spread from factory too. I’ve heard really good things about stock thermals but I might pick up some diff paste too if I end up getting one and having similar issues as you. It honestly seems like the go to machine for me for 1080p gaming. I only play stuff like over watch and a little PUBG. But from what I’ve seen the 8809g model runs PUBG just fine at least at like 70fps which is perfectly fine to me. The performance density of this thing is insane. I like the DeskMini gtx. But the slow arrival on the Z370i version is a let down and I’m tired of waiting quite frankly. And I mean hell I could stick the hades canyon in my back pocket I’m sure if I wanted.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah this little thing has some serious power. Has no problems running emulators, even RPCS3 runs absolutely fine.
I use XTU to drop it to 3.5 ghz max instead of 4.1 ghz and it runs whisper quiet.
The stock thermal spread was good. Full CPU and GPU die coverage, however ... the crustiness of it was really bad ! really bad compound. It got to a point where when i'd play Mafia III in 2560x1080 it would crash the system.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Yeah this little thing has some serious power. Has no problems running emulators, even RPCS3 runs absolutely fine.
I use XTU to drop it to 3.5 ghz max instead of 4.1 ghz and it runs whisper quiet.
The stock thermal spread was good. Full CPU and GPU die coverage, however ... the crustiness of it was really bad ! really bad compound. It got to a point where when i'd play Mafia III in 2560x1080 it would crash the system.
I’ll def upgrade paste then first thing. I’ve got some Noctua paste I think at home so that might do great stuff