CPU Hades Canyon as primary PC

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Hi I'd like to buy myself a new PC for my birthday on the 17th of this month , I'm really impressed by the Hades Canyon with the 8809G chip , I'd like to use it as my daily driver (would there be any major issues with that?) . I mostly surf the web write emails and play games like prison architect / Minecraft and hearts of iron 4 , though I'd like to play some AAA games like fallout 4 battlefields etc . My OS of choice is KDE NEON (I find linux easier to use) .For my SSD and ram I'd use a 500 gb 970 evo with 2 x 8 gb sticks of ram .Am I good to go and is the NUC good for my use case ?

Reactions: DarekLogic

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome!
Hades Canyon is really a very good platform.

No issue to use it as your main setup. Hades Canyon proved to be very efficient and cooling solution is pretty robust versus its predecessor (skull canyon).

Reactions: SmithyBoy

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Welcome!
Hades Canyon is really a very good platform.

No issue to use it as your main setup. Hades Canyon proved to be very efficient and cooling solution is pretty robust versus its predecessor (skull canyon).

Thanks mate I'm new around here so sorry for any mistakes I may make also synthethics show that the vega m gh is on par with a 1060 max q whilst in gaming it's around a 1050 ti in games , could drivers iron this out?Also how's Intel's QC/build quality?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks mate I'm new around here so sorry for any mistakes I may make also synthethics show that the vega m gh is on par with a 1060 max q whilst in gaming it's around a 1050 ti in games , could drivers iron this out?Also how's Intel's QC/build quality?
That's story of AMD gpu life : more raw power than Nvidia but less optimised than Nvidia in general.

A lot of hope has come with new API (DirectX 12 and Vulkan), but too few studios followed that path.

However, don't be lured by benchmarks (fps, etc). What is important is user experience...and definitely hades canyon is matching GTX 1060 gaming experience....especially if you are using free sync screen (where g sync monitor are just too pricey)

Reactions: Soul_Est

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
That's story of AMD gpu life : more raw power than Nvidia but less optimised than Nvidia in general.

A lot of hope has come with new API (DirectX 12 and Vulkan), but too few studios followed that path.

However, don't be lured by benchmarks (fps, etc). What is important is user experience...and definitely hades canyon is matching GTX 1060 gaming experience....especially if you are using free sync screen (where g sync monitor are just too pricey)

Thanks man , I'm coming from a ps 4 so I want something to beat a ps 4 , if worst comes to worst down the road (a year from now for example ) I can always 1 UP my NUC with an external Nvidia gpu right ?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well Hades Canyon is around performance from a PS4 pro (but far smaller and noisier..;))...so it could handle most games at 1080p 60+fps with pretty good quality settings.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I've also thought about using a Hades Canyon as a main PC and a portable/travel one vs getting a laptop. I plan on just waiting another year until my laptop is dead to decide.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Just as an alternate opinion, although the hades canyon seems quite good (and even supports an EGPU for more future proofing) for about the same price, you could get a full built laptop with a gtx 1060 and a quad core intel. If it was my money, today, I would probably go the laptop route, and maybe spend the extra money I would have on ram/ssd on a docking station for a desktop experience.

As for linux driver support, I'm afraid I don't have much experience with that.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Just as an alternate opinion, although the hades canyon seems quite good (and even supports an EGPU for more future proofing) for about the same price, you could get a full built laptop with a gtx 1060 and a quad core intel. If it was my money, today, I would probably go the laptop route, and maybe spend the extra money I would have on ram/ssd on a docking station for a desktop experience.

As for linux driver support, I'm afraid I don't have much experience with that.
What you mention is true.
Now hades canyon is different on usage than laptop.

Personnally I was even a reviewer of portable gaming laptop for french press, but after several years, I was too frustated not to be able to use best monitor, keyboard, mouse...and all those "gaming" laptop are not that easy to transport (big external psu, external mouse, mouse pad, notebook cooler, lack of upgradibility)....Thus I swicthed for gaming SFF where I can setup best suited components and peripheral devices...

For me, worth laptops are ultrabook like..;) Now my headaches could start again as egpu is becoming more and more a robust gaming solution...:)

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I prefer a NUC beacause I just trust Intel more as a company than someone like lenovo / dell , which might contain some useless/possibly malicious even software Also with a laptop I'd get some OEM parts which are likely inferior to something like a wd black/970 evo (Marc pls help me choose ) but that's just my opinion. Another major deal breaker for me is that a thin laptop like a razer blade has it's gpu and cpu located directly under the keyboard which can cause discomfort during gaming , also the NUC can be easily placed under my desk / somewhere else which can help with noise , Linux support is a mixed bag too , whilst some OEMs support it , some don't which can be an issue , however a full 1060 will almost always beat the NUC , unless the drivers are optimised(it can beat a 1060 max q under ideal conditions ). At the end of the day though for 90% of the people a laptop will be vastly superior , but for me the NUC wins hands down ,I like grand strategy games which heavily tax the cpu (the NUCs cpu is vastly superior to a 7700HQ and maybe an 8750H on single core perfomance ) and grand strategy generally feels better on a large screen.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
wd black/970 evo (Marc pls help me choose )
Lol Samsung 970 evo versus last SSD WD/sandisk black....joker...both are great definitely..I own both brand SSD and I can't complain about any of them.
My only advice is to have only one SSD brand on one machine to avoid several software (samsung magician or sandisk/WD dashboard)

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Lol Samsung 970 evo versus last SSD WD/sandisk black....joker...both are great definitely..I own both brand SSD and I can't complain about any of them.
My only advice is to have only one SSD brand on one machine to avoid several software (samsung magician or sandisk/WD dashboard)

Thanks I'll just flip a coin I guess also 2 more questions
1.Is intel optane worth it with an nvme ?
2.Since the NUCs just started shipping out (April for preorders I think ) could the drivers get better and give us better perfomance?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks I'll just flip a coin I guess also 2 more questions
1.Is intel optane worth it with an nvme ?
2.Since the NUCs just started shipping out (April for preorders I think ) could the drivers get better and give us better perfomance?
Forget Optane 905p or hybrid version for now...it's only worth for data center (for pure optane 905p)..:)

Nuc GPU driver are based on AMD driver...so you will receive similar upgrade as base AMD driver, but I don't on which frequency...;)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
My portable system is actually a NUC, (one of the i5 kaby lake model). And I too like to choose my own portable display, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I even got a MAXOAK battery pack to make it portable/battery powered with DC/DC connection.

SO it can be a lot of fun, but for overall performance/value it isn't quite there, but it seems like you have other things you value more (cooling quality, build quality etc.) so can't fault you for that.

Reactions: SmithyBoy

SmithyBoy

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
My portable system is actually a NUC, (one of the i5 kaby lake model). And I too like to choose my own portable display, keyboard, mouse, etc.

I even got a MAXOAK battery pack to make it portable/battery powered with DC/DC connection.

SO it can be a lot of fun, but for overall performance/value it isn't quite there, but it seems like you have other things you value more (cooling quality, build quality etc.) so can't fault you for that.
Also if I may ask how's Intel's visual bios?