SFF PC vs ATX Tower

IanWells

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Hey lads , for the past two years I have been using a laptop with the following specifications
i7 6700HQ
gtx 970m
16gb of ram
It is sufficient for some games but it's not really ideal for anything more medium-high , so I have decided to acquire a new system , buildapc discord recommended me a value optimised atx tower which I frankly dislike , it had the following specs
i5 8400
1060 6gb
16 gb ram
Instead I'd like the new Hades canyon NUC system with the 8809G APU with vega m GH , would such NUC be enough for 1080p60 high/ultra , given a decent overclock ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey lads , for the past two years I have been using a laptop with the following specifications
i7 6700HQ
gtx 970m
16gb of ram
It is sufficient for some games but it's not really ideal for anything more medium-high , so I have decided to acquire a new system , buildapc discord recommended me a value optimised atx tower which I frankly dislike , it had the following specs
i5 8400
1060 6gb
16 gb ram
Instead I'd like the new Hades canyon NUC system with the 8809G APU with vega m GH , would such NUC be enough for 1080p60 high/ultra , given a decent overclock ?

NUCs are terrible valuable unless you absolutely adore how small it is.

Swap the PSU for an SF450, and motherboard for ITX one, and build in something like:
Node 202
SG13
Cougar QBX
Define Nano S (a bit big)​

Reactions: loader963

IanWells

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 26, 2018

NUCs are terrible valuable unless you absolutely adore how small it is.

Swap the PSU for an SF450, and motherboard for ITX one, and build in something like:
Node 202
SG13
Cougar QBX
Define Nano S (a bit big)​
Certainly however I could order a fully prepared Nuc with 3 year warranty from SIMPLY NUC which would be smaller lighter and plug and play , and if something goes wrong I can always consult Intel vs having to diagnose a custom system myself , I know this may sound cheesy , but 2 years ago I wanted a NUC too (gaming NUCs back then weren't that good sadly ) .And my only question is whether the Hades Canyon has any major flaws that aren't reported on by reviewers.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Certainly however I could order a fully prepared Nuc with 3 year warranty from SIMPLY NUC which would be smaller lighter and plug and play , and if something goes wrong I can always consult Intel vs having to diagnose a custom system myself , I know this may sound cheesy , but 2 years ago I wanted a NUC too (gaming NUCs back then weren't that good sadly ) .And my only question is whether the Hades Canyon has any major flaws that aren't reported on by reviewers.

The only issue I see is driver support may not be as fast as desktop models.

Otherwise most people have said it is a pretty good unit minus the price point.

Here is another good thread on the same subject.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/hades-canyon-as-primary-pc.7872/

Last edited:

Silly Cone

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
Also it was reported that one better should replace the termal paste with a decent one, however this already has been covered in reviews (such as the one on Tom's Hardware https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-hades-canyon-nuc-vr,review-34274-2.html). I know you specifically didn't ask for stuff already covered in the reviews however it kind of contradicts the "plug and play" experience you are looking for if caring for noise and/ or OC (you were talking of OC).