Completed GxR-DIY Edition - a tiny 12V 600W load switch module - works with NUC, Deskmini, Pico-PSUs and more

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
final version of GxR-DIY is here...
  • extra slim and small design
  • bi-directional 12VDC input/output and control signal
  • DIY solder friendly
  • compatible with M.2 SSD heatsinks or attach it to your case with thermal pads
  • hand-crafted by G-UNIQUE, customized by REVOCCASES

Customize-able ready to use sets according to your needs, e.g. for DeskMini & Co.

Example:

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I already explained, it matters. You cannot just use SATA header, fan header, in all situations because they may be directly tied to the 12V rail.

You can trigger it if you use logic triggering from your plugin, but using a fan header is not logic, it is a power rail. You can't use power to trigger power, because then it'll feedback loop itself and latch in the 'on' state.

I don't want to argue, but if you don't understand it's okay. Just don't be surprised that it may not work in all situations.

This reminds me somehow of the discussion about material of my fan adapters we had some time ago when you said they wouldn't be stable enough and I had to to prove you wrong. Unfortunately I can not build a pyramid of water bottles this time.

I also don't want to argue and it's fine for me if you are not convinced. But just if you don't understand how our load switch module works doesn't mean that you are right. It's a little bit more than just a simple mosfet relay that you can buy off eBay or Aliexpress. I agree, these really do not work and you'll probably experience the issues you mentioned.

I'm happy to send you one if you want to see for yourself.

Last but not least we both just try to make stuff helpful for the community and i think @yuusou can confirm GxR-DIY was quite useful to realize his build.

Reactions: yuusou

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This reminds me somehow of the discussion about material of my fan adapters we had some time ago when you said they wouldn't be stable enough and I had to to prove you wrong. Unfortunately I can not build a pyramid of water bottles this time.

I also don't want to argue and it's fine for me if you are not convinced. But just if you don't understand how our load switch module works doesn't mean that you are right. It's a little bit more than just a simple mosfet relay that you can buy off eBay or Aliexpress. I agree, these really do not work and you'll probably experience the issues you mentioned.

I'm happy to send you one if you want to see for yourself.

Last but not least we both just try to make stuff helpful for the community and i think @yuusou can confirm GxR-DIY was quite useful to realize his build.

I understand perfectly how it works. I am an electronics technician. I have also designed one two years ago, Distro 400 with an LC circuit.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I understand perfectly how it works. I am an electronics technician. I have also designed one two years ago, Distro 400 with an LC circuit.

Seems this leads to nowhere but that's OK. We can agree to disagree. I don't need to convince you that the GxR load switch module does what it's supposed to do. For me and my customers projects it works just fine and same I suppose your Distro does for you and your customers. Finally thats all that matters.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you have some 12VDC "PICOPSU" / ATX PLUGIN which is still working fine but just does not have enough juice for your new project, GxR-DIY can be a solution to upgrade.

Below is a test setup to show you how it works.

You will need:
  • a good 12VDC power supply with low ripple (e.g. G-Unique, MEANWELL, 12V DELL Brick, etc.)
  • 12VDC ATX PLUGIN (no HDPLEX since this is a 19V system)
  • GxR-DIY Load Switch Module
  • (if you go for the PCBA version only: having some fun with soldering)
To "tell" the GxR-DIY when to power ON and OFF your components you need to connect a "trigger signal" cable. Since most PLUGINs do not provide such functionality, GxR-DIY was designed that it would accept a wide voltage range trigger input. In below example I have used the +12V PIN on the CPU fan header but you could also use e.g. a +5V PIN from USB or +12V from the PLUGINs SATA power cable, etc...

Once everything is hooked up, you have turned your low power PLUGIN into a DC ATX PSU with up to 600W...

...without "always on" issues...

now, if you do have a PLUGIN with a trigger signal pin, you can of course also use this one to control the GxR-DIY

it will work exactly the same way...

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
The GxR-DIY in my Gamecube build (in progress). My build log is over on the L1T forum.
Small and does perfectly the job, just need to shorten the wire because I overestimated the length.
Nice to see a fellow GxR-DIY-er also doing a GameCube mod but taking a _very_ different approach. Very cool!

Reactions: cityle

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If iIwanted to use a 19v motherboards with a 12v gpu would I still be able to use this load switch?

Yes you can. But if your motherboard only supports 19VDC input you need to use a second 12VDC PSU to power your GPU. GxR-DIY does not step down like the Dynamo.

However, many 19VDC motherboards are also running just fine on 12VDC (like the DeskMini, NUC, etc.). I would try that first then you would only need one 12VDC AC-DC PSU and can run both together.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Someone asked me how to solve the "always on problem" for a DIY eGPU as seen in my eGPU1 project

Not all GPUs have issues with "always on" but my inno3D RTX2070 does. If the power supplied by the 8PIN PCIe connector is not shut off correctly together with the PC, the fans on my GPU would just go to 100%. Not ideal.

In order to solve that we can use the GxR-DIY Load Switch to power off the GPU correctly. All we need to do is soldering one "PSon cable" between (any) +3.3V PIN from the M.2 riser board to the Control Signal Input on the GxR-DIY.

Once the PC (or here the TB3 controller board) comes ON, it will supply +3.3V to the riser board and therefore will trigger the Load Switch ON. When the PC is shut down, no voltage is supplied to the riser board >>> GxR-DIY will switch OFF the power for the GPU.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hey @REVOCCASES, do you still have one of these? I'm planning a deskmini gpu build with a 12v meanwell so this would be perfect to power the gpu.

Reactions: Arboreal