Completed GxR-DIY Edition - a tiny 12V 600W load switch module - works with NUC, Deskmini, Pico-PSUs and more

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Some of you have probably seen how Josh | NFC hooked up a graphics card to a DeskMini A300 STX board.

Well, unfortunately the DYNAMO 360 used by Josh is currently not available so G-UNIQUE and REVOCCASES have teamed up to work on some alternative for the SFF.NETWORK forum members that works with almost any mini-PC or DC ATX Plugin PSU. All you need is the GxR-DIY and a good 12VDC power supply.

GxR-DIY can be customized according to your needs, just drop me a message.

Example: GXR-DIY complete set for DeskMini & Co.

GXR-DIY PCB only, solder yourself ...

Application example: hooking up a RTX2070 to a NUC (same works for DeskMini & Co.)

we are using the same ADT M.2 to PCIe riser cable Josh was using for his build. Apart from that, we only need a 12VDC power supply and the GxR-DIY module.

first we connect the riser cable and power via the GxR-DIY to the graphics card

second we plug the riser to the M.2 slot of the NUC. Also we connect the "Remote Control" wire from GxR-DIY to any header / PIN on the motherboard which gives us at least +3V once the PC is turned on. This can be for example: fan header, USB header, SATA, etc...

last but not least we plug in our 12VDC power supply to the PC and the modular case-mountable DC input connector of GxG-DIY

after booting up our system we can install the drivers and start to have fun :)

Another use case example: How to upgrade your low-power 12V DC ATX PLUGIN to support up to 600W GPU & CPU

Last edited:

Lbhati

Cable Smoosher
Feb 14, 2020
This is mosfet based solid state relay trigger 12V power to GPU triggered by 12V signal from motherboard. Am I right?

Lbhati

Cable Smoosher
Feb 14, 2020
Nice and looks clean..I used cheap one which will use whole cabinet as heatsink...and not compact also.

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Would the modular cables as shown in the pictures work for your DeskMini project?
Then I can send you the prototype for testing and you wouldn't have to do any soldering.

For clarity here, as discussed over on Discord,everything looks perfect and should work on the deskmini based on investigation by others using 12V.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
For clarity here, as discussed over on Discord,everything looks perfect and should work on the deskmini based on investigation by others using 12V.

Correct, thanks to @Curiosity we know that 12V will work fine so we are not limited by a step-down or boost converter.

DeskMini with RTX3090 - here we come ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Curiosity

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Very cool!
I wonder why use the sata connector instead of the berg connector that the riser uses, though. Is that so it's easier to get the length just right?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Very cool!
I wonder why use the sata connector instead of the berg connector that the riser uses, though. Is that so it's easier to get the length just right?

? definitely will connect directly to the riser in the future just didn't have the suitable connector available right now.

Being modular I was also thinking to offer some different cable sets for GxR-DIY. Based on your experience, what would be ideal for an DeskMini / GPU build like yours?

Reactions: Curiosity

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
? definitely will connect directly to the riser in the future just didn't have the suitable connector available right now.

Being modular I was also thinking to offer some different cable sets for GxR-DIY. Based on your experience, what would be ideal for an DeskMini / GPU build like yours?
For my build specifically I use a 5.5*2.5 barrel connector, molex floppy connector with just 12v/gnd connected, and a 6pin gpu connector. I think the best thing to be modular for my style of STX build would be the GPU power connector since there are so many different combinations for different gpus. Any sata power can be handled by the special sata cables that come with the mobo, ideally.
Lengths would change case to case.
Hopefully that answered your question but let me know. :)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Today I updated my personal NUC1 build making it completely brickless using the GxR-DIY Load Switch Board. (Same works also for other mini-PCs / STX Motherboards, etc.)

Both the NUC and the GxR-DIY are directly connected to a 12V 400W Meanwell PSU. The Graphics Card is powered via the output of GxR-DIY and is switched ON/OFF together with the NUC using a single wire remote line connected to the NUCs front panel header (any voltage from +3V to +19V works here).

As you can see there is basically no space left to put something like a DYNAMO360 in this build so I'm really glad G-UNIQUE made me some of these tiny load switch boards!

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda and yuusou

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
hey so whats that 750w Titanium PSU is that. Looking for a 12V PSU for your PLUGIN 600W PSU

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
hey so whats that 750w Titanium PSU is that. Looking for a 12V PSU for your PLUGIN 600W PSU

I was just going to send you an email asking which kind of DC connector you need for your GxR-ONE order and which kind of AC-DC PSU you are going to use 😅

The 750W Titanium brick is a prototype from G-unique. Unfortunately it does not work with 110VAC. I can get you an 400W BRICKMOD from me or 600W Ultimate Brick from G-unique and ship with your order.

Best join my discord then we can discuss further. :)

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
what connectors do you have? 600W Ultimate Brick is too long. might just mod a FLEX PSU until something else comes out