Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This guest review was provided by forum member Windfall, with editing performed by John Morrison. Want to contribute a review or editorial? Private message John (confusis) on the forum!

Go back. Way back. Okay, maybe not very far back: 1996, when Mini-Box was founded. “Inspired by the unprecedented success of small form factor mainboards,” they have since “since directed [their] focus on designing and developing smaller, more compact PC peripherals.” I don’t know if that’s true or not, as I got it from their about page. I can tell you though, that from their product portfolio, it certainly appears so. They have a wide range of products, including cases, various PCI and PCIe riser cards, very unique LCD displays and controls, and a few embedded...

Continue reading...

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I like this case a lot, you can create "interesting" mods with it, like integrating a meanwell 12v into it ?

I have a cad model of the case and have been playing with it, but WOW, that's impressive! Is that your mod? Could I get a link to a build log?

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
I have a cad model of the case and have been playing with it, but WOW, that's impressive! Is that your mod? Could I get a link to a build log?
Yeah, it's my mod, with a looooot of self-designed printed part :)
I never did a build log unfortunately (bad, I know :'( ), but I'll definitely do one if I find the time (and the courage to dismount all the little beast ^^)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it's my mod, with a looooot of self-designed printed part :)
I never did a build log unfortunately (bad, I know :'( ), but I'll definitely do one if I find the time (and the courage to dismount all the little beast ^^)

If you do, I want to see it! Thanks for sharing!

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
If you do, I want to see it! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure ! ?

Also, be careful with the 3D model (which I suppose you got from the minibox site), it's not up to date at all !
I had to update it by comparing with the autocad model, which seems to be a lot more accurate !

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
My pleasure ! ?

Also, be careful with the 3D model (which I suppose you got from the minibox site), it's not up to date at all !
I had to update it by comparing with the autocad model, which seems to be a lot more accurate !

I'm confused, I did notice some discrepancies from the 3D dxf, but are there other files?

Could you share you up to date model?

Thanks!

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
I'm confused, I did notice some discrepancies from the 3D dxf, but are there other files?

Could you share you up to date model?

Thanks!
I don't remember exactly what I did at the time, but I think I converted it from dxf to solidworks to be able to edit the files more easily.

Which format would you like ? Solidworks 2017 is ok for you ?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I don't remember exactly what I did at the time, but I think I converted it from dxf to solidworks to be able to edit the files more easily.

Which format would you like ? Solidworks 2017 is ok for you ?

STEP is preferable!

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
STEP is preferable!
Ok, step it is !
via wetransfer : here you go !

Note that not every parts have been updated. I've made changes only where I needed them during my mod, mainly :
- on the base :
- rear part with the wifi and ac-dc holes (wrong positions)​
- holes and shape for the positionning of the disk brackets which had an offset of 2mm towards the exterior​
- the position of the disk brackets themselves
- on the bezel : added the gussets

Hope it will help you :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Ok, step it is !
via wetransfer : here you go !

Note that not every parts have been updated. I've made changes only where I needed them during my mod, mainly :
- on the base :
- rear part with the wifi and ac-dc holes (wrong positions)​
- holes and shape for the positionning of the disk brackets which had an offset of 2mm towards the exterior​
- the position of the disk brackets themselves
- on the bezel : added the gussets

Hope it will help you :)

Many thanks!