Review provided by forum moderator ignsvn with editing performed by John Morrison. Want to contribute a review or editorial? Private message John (confusis) on the forum!
Many forum members know that I’m never a big fan of external AC-DC brick. I see them as something that adds more wire on my already cluttered, fully-wired PC setup, regardless whether you put the brick on top of the desk, or on the floor.
However, recently I have found a need to to build a low power, APU-only HTPC for family entertainment purposes. Think of watching online TV channels, Youtube, play light games, as well as doing office works.
The unit will be placed in the living room, which means it’ll be in the vicinity of my children. And children means property damage, scratches, and so on. Nope, there’s no way I’m going to use my spare MI-6 for the build. I need to use another case. A sacrificial lamb that doesn’t cost a bomb, but still...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: infoberg and Phuncz

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
Great review, thanks! I recently finished a build in the red version of this case (called "Ixkbiced B01" on Amazon). Spacers are in fact very helpful with the glass top version, but it still looks great with an RGB CPU cooler/fan. Using the Gigabyte Mainboards B450 I Aorus Pro Wi-Fi mainboard, I was quite lucky that my DC-DC adapter had the connecters on the side facing away from the RAM modules, otherwise I would have been stuck at that point...

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Great review, thanks! I recently finished a build in the red version of this case (called "Ixkbiced B01" on Amazon). Spacers are in fact very helpful with the glass top version, but it still looks great with an RGB CPU cooler/fan. Using the Gigabyte Mainboards B450 I Aorus Pro Wi-Fi mainboard, I was quite lucky that my DC-DC adapter had the connecters on the side facing away from the RAM modules, otherwise I would have been stuck at that point...
Glad my review is useful.

Btw I thought most DC-DC adapters have their connectors on the side?

Last edited:

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
I thought

Glad my review is useful.

Btw I thought most DC-DC adapters have their connectors on the side?
You're right, 99% of these adapters have the connectors on the side. But sometimes they face inwards (towards RAM/CPU) and sometimes outwards. As you can see in the image, the placement of the power connector on the mnainboard and the height of my RAM modules would have prohibited using the adapter if the connector would have faced towards RAM/CPU...

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
You're right, 99% of these adapters have the connectors on the side. But sometimes they face inwards (towards RAM/CPU) and sometimes outwards. As you can see in the image, the placement of the power connector on the mnainboard and the height of my RAM modules would have prohipitred using the adapter if the connector would have faced towards RAM/CPU...

I see. Btw I assume you don't use 2.5" drives? That should make your build experience much better than mine.

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
I see. Btw I assume you don't use 2.5" drives? That should make your build experience much better than mine.
You're right, specially after reading your review, I decided to stick to M.2 only. I don't need a ton of storage o this unit, although it's perfectly capable of playing some AAA games even at 1080p with high settings.
Currently planning on a second build with the same case, with a different mainboard, RAM and cooler though. As nice and flashy as the CoolerMaster MasterAir G200P is, it get's too noisy for my taste. So I will probably use the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black for my next project.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
You're right, specially after reading your review, I decided to stick to M.2 only. I don't need a ton of storage o this unit, although it's perfectly capable of playing some AAA games even at 1080p with high settings.
Currently planning on a second build with the same case, with a different mainboard, RAM and cooler though. As nice and flashy as the CoolerMaster MasterAir G200P is, it get's too noisy for my taste. So I will probably use the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black for my next project.

Aaah yeah I did consider using CM G200P, but not sure whether it's good/bad.

I guess I made the right choice with the ID Cooling IS-30.

What processor did you use with that G200P btw?

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
Aaah yeah I did consider using CM G200P, but not sure whether it's good/bad.

I guess I made the right choice with the ID Cooling IS-30.

What processor did you use with that G200P btw?
I tried two different APUs: first a Ryzen 5 2400G and now a Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G. Specs are not a lot different for these two, and so are thermals and performance. The 3400G runs a little bit cooler though. The fan gets a bit noisy when it spins up, but I just might have to adjust the fan curves to make it spin less erratic and stay more quiet.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I tried two different APUs: first a Ryzen 5 2400G and now a Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G. Specs are not a lot different for these two, and so are thermals and performance. The 3400G runs a little bit cooler though. The fan gets a bit noisy when it spins up, but I just might have to adjust the fan curves to make it wotk more evenly and quiet.

Oh I saw your build in the other thread, looks good.

Btw if you decide to DIY panels for better airflow, the left & right panels can be removed. Meaning you can DIY mesh panels, for example. They are hold by some countersunk screws (I forgot what size tho).

You can actually remove the front panel too, but take note that there are 2 layers of front panels. The inner one is part of the frame & not removable. If you want to use a different external front panel to have better airflow, so you may need to drill/dremel the inner one.

And while you inspecting them, you may want to file the sharp corners 😄

Reactions: infoberg

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
Thanks for the advice, luckily my case did not have any sharp edges :D

I don't think modding the side panels would improve the airflow to a point where I could run games without needing to lift the glass top. Plus I am too clumsy to ever finish such a mod sufficiently well. But it's not my main gaming rig anyways, so I will probably stick with the original panels and remove the standoffs from the top as well. For this build, aestethics beat performance 🤪

I really like this case, great quality and looks - and being able to remove/replace the side and front panel is a nice option! There's always room for improvement, like countersinking the screws into the glass, but overall it's one of the nicest little cases IMHO.