GTX 1080 cooling issue

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
you guys need this:

for asus motherboards, it connects to T sensor. place the thermistor cable on the gpu and voila.

Yeah, could get one of those. Where exactly do you place it though? My GTX 1080 still has the original backplate on it.

Edit: think the motherboard actually comes with them - will have to check the box. Bought it second hand, so may be missing!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Speedfan used to be the solution but, unfortunately, it is getting outdated and I think it does not support almost (if not all) recent generations motherboard.

And, I see your 1080 is a Gigabyte one. If it is an Asus 1070/1080, then it has an onboard fan connector which you can use Asus Fanconnect software (or some other Asus softwares) to control the fan speed according to the GPU core temp.

If you use a temp sensor sticked to the GPU heatsink fins, then you need to first establish the correlation between this heatsink temp and the core temp because it is the core temp that you need to monitor and set the fan curve to.

Reactions: psykix

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I have a temperature probe on my 1080 mini. I have placed it on the copper core on the underside of the heatsink, near to where it contacts with the GPU die.

+1 on what @tinyitx said. For me the core temp and the heatsink temp eventually settle to be the same, but any changes in temperature are reported by the GPU core first and then the heatsink, so it is important that you keep this in mind when setting your fan curve.

rymrtz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2020
I just did the Accelero III mod on my 1080 today, I've been using Argus Monitor.. (I saw it in a 2070 Strix mod on reddit). It's $20 for a 3 yr license (which really isnt that bad), and you get a 30 day free trial.

Works like a charm.

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I ended up buying a GPU to PWM cable and set a fan curve in MSI Afterburner - I didn't want to leave at the default, because the fans stop at low speed and I think I need some airflow through the case.

I'm going to look at getting shorter custom cables for my SF750 too, as that will create more space for airflow.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
@psykix Just curious on how your gpu mod went? Are you satisfied with the thermals & noise? I'm thinking of doing the same in my build. Currently I'm just using the 1080Ti Strix with the shroud removed and two noctuas underneath set as exhaust. There is a 5mm gap between the fans & the gpu and I don't like it. While gaming it reaches easily to 70c and is a loud.

@Jetpaction How does your liquid metal on the gpu die hold up? I've heard that having liquid metal on gpu is a bit of risky and that it needs to be reapplied after a while?

Also, is it possible to mount the original 1080Ti Strix backplate while using the Accellero III?

My build is kinda, weird, since I have a 240 AIO at the top (exhaust) & rear 92mm as intake. Feel sometimes the rear fan is a bit useless since it is sucking the hot air from the gpu into the case...

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
@psykix Just curious on how your gpu mod went? Are you satisfied with the thermals & noise? I'm thinking of doing the same in my build. Currently I'm just using the 1080Ti Strix with the shroud removed and two noctuas underneath set as exhaust. There is a 5mm gap between the fans & the gpu and I don't like it. While gaming it reaches easily to 70c and is a loud.

@Jetpaction How does your liquid metal on the gpu die hold up? I've heard that having liquid metal on gpu is a bit of risky and that it needs to be reapplied after a while?

Also, is it possible to mount the original 1080Ti Strix backplate while using the Accellero III?

My build is kinda, weird, since I have a 240 AIO at the top (exhaust) & rear 92mm as intake. Feel sometimes the rear fan is a bit useless since it is sucking the hot air from the gpu into the case...

It went well.. I use MSI Afterburner and have the bottom fans set at 20% when PC is at idle to generate a little bit of airflow.

Just checked temps with HWInfo64 :-

CPU Package - (3700X) is 34C at idle, 72C under load.
GPU - 22C at idle, 62C is the highest it has hit whilst gaming so far.

PC is silent at idle. It's fairly noisy when gaming, but it always was in a bigger case too.

Reactions: Maniac

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
Thanks for all the responses. I've just done the conversion to Accelero III on my "Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti Gaming", and I'm kinda worried. I do believe that Accelero III is a good cooler and this is probably something I have messed up or not done correctly.

As I mentioned my build is a bit strange. I have 240 AIO set as top-exhaust, 92mm read fan as intake, and 2 Noctua GPU fans set as exhaust. Noctuas below the GPU are connected to the GPU PWM fan headers.

When starting up the PC, idle GPU temps is around 38C. If I just start using the PC normally (browsing), it will jump to 44-46C.
Stress testing using Superposition & Heaven it will reach 65-68C, even undervolted. Looking at the HWiNFO64, GPU Idle temps are around 40C and GPU VRM is around 46-50C.

I could not find any images\articles on how to properly mount the accelero on a 1080Ti ROG Strix, as it has a bit different PCB compared to reference cards.
This is my card and how I attached the heatsinks. My Accelero III came with adhesive thermal glue and a small pad of 3 adhesive thermal pads. I used those on the mosfets.

@MultiDoc I see you have the same setup as mine, any tips or ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I’m at work currently, will try a post some pics of mine on the evening from home. But your temps don’t sound bad imho. As for your fan setup, have you tried reversing the rad fans to pull and the rear 92 to exhaust ?

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
I’m at work currently, will try a post some pics of mine on the evening from home. But your temps don’t sound bad imho. As for your fan setup, have you tried reversing the rad fans to pull and the rear 92 to exhaust ?
After several testing I actually do agree with you, on high load it is decent, and while gaming it almost never goes above 60C and stays more quiet than before. It was just the ide temps that kinda put me off, compared to what people usually report when they first use the Accelero III.

One thing that is weird, is that the Noctua fans below GPU (connected to GPU PWM headers) do not spin at all until 60C, it totally ignores my custom fan-curve.

Regarding your question on the rad fans, I have not tried that, but was thinking about it. Will be doing some changes to the "tophat" so I might try it then. ?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
After several testing I actually do agree with you, on high load it is decent, and while gaming it almost never goes above 60C and stays more quiet than before. It was just the ide temps that kinda put me off, compared to what people usually report when they first use the Accelero III.

One thing that is weird, is that the Noctua fans below GPU (connected to GPU PWM headers) do not spin at all until 60C, it totally ignores my custom fan-curve.

Regarding your question on the rad fans, I have not tried that, but was thinking about it. Will be doing some changes to the "tophat" so I might try it then. ?

Sorry for the late reply (work was mad today). As I said earlier, your temps are fine. What I suggest you do, is to connect the fans that you’re using on the Accelero for the GPU to a fan header on the motherboard (both of them together via a Y cable) instead of using the header on the GPU itself. This way you can make a proper working custom fan profile and set a minimum (inaudible) rpm for the fans so this way both your idle temps will drop but also they won’t have to ramp up significantly on load.
And definitely consider swiping the orientation on the rad fans too.

Let me know if you need anything.

Reactions: Maniac

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
Allright, I installed GPUTweakII from Asus (instead of using MSI Afterburner), and it allowed me to set a proper fan curve on the external fan headers. Now I have fans running at 36% on idle, inaudible and keeping my GPU temps in low 30's ? Very happy with the result ? Will also test flipping the rad fans later on. Thanks for the input @MultiDoc

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I also forgot to mention that I have a temp sensor installed on the GPU heat sink (on the accelero in fact) and the fans are configured by this temp reading.
Glad it worked for you (and yes my idle/desktop GPU temps are in the low 30s too)

HarvinDhillon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 19, 2019
Well I removed the fans from my MSI 2080 Super and added two 120mm fans at the bottom and the temps went from 74c load to around 65-68c load

The biggest winner though is the VRM temps and the chipset temps on my Strix x570, it stays below 65c now and the fan barely goes above 2000 rpm on full load

Reactions: Darch and Maniac

Darch

Chassis Packer
Jan 21, 2018
Well I removed the fans from my MSI 2080 Super and added two 120mm fans at the bottom and the temps went from 74c load to around 65-68c load

The biggest winner though is the VRM temps and the chipset temps on my Strix x570, it stays below 65c now and the fan barely goes above 2000 rpm on full load
Oooh, any pics?