NCASE M1 + Radeon VII + Morpheus II

iainjchambers

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
So a little while ago I asked if the build I was planning would fit in the NCase M1 and the answers were only somewhat helpful given that it's a new GPU and it was a longshot to hope anyone would be able to help me out. I have built the PC I planned and can now report my findings in terms of temperatures and noise for anyone planning something similar.

Here's my build:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x470-i
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 2700x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
GPU Cooler: Raijintek Morpheus II Core Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 32gb

So, I experimented with several options to get one that I was happy with, starting with not having to order more parts...

GPU stock - No extra fans beneath
GPU temperatures maxed at ~84c and idled at ~30c. The GPU fans were pretty quiet at idle but unbearably loud when maxed out. Not the first person to report this but it's important to have a baseline.

GPU stock - 2 x 120mm Noctua NFA12x25 below
This lowered the temperature of the GPU to ~81c when maxed but remained very loud. Definitely not worth an extra £50 to get the fans.

GPU shroud + fans removed - 2 x 120mm Noctua NFA12x25 below
Surprisingly this did very little for temperatures and noise. The fans had to run at full speed to keep the GPU at temperatures comparable to stock and that defeated the point of this exercise, same temp, similarly unbearable noise levels. I can only guess that due to the fans being centered in the case and the orientation of the heatsink fins on the card, the GPU area of it wasn't getting very much cool air.

Morpheus 2 - 2 x 120mm Noctua NFA12x15 (slim) below
This was a little underwhelming considering the £100 I'd spent to make this happen but a definite improvement. With the fans at reduced speed using the Noctua adapter, the card reached 84c fairly quick but there's a notable improvement in noise levels here as the Noctua fans are really nice and quiet. With the fans running at full speed however, the max GPU temperature I saw was 71c. A definite win but at the cost of noise. Would definitely be gaming with headphones on to keep the GPU this cool.

NOTE: With the Morpheus II installed, the NCase M1 will only have room for slim fans

Hope this helps someone to make some decisions when considering the M1 and a loud+hot GPU. You have options, but none of them are great :p Had I not bought the GPU before the case, I'd have opted for something like an EVGA card with quieter more efficient fans and saved myself ~£150. C'est la vie.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Glad to hear the Morpheus 2 fits on the Vega 7. I'm surprised you find the results underwhelming, they look pretty good on paper?

I let my Vega 56 fan header control the two Noctua slim fans on my Morpheus 2, I love the noise profile (especially compared to the stock blower on the Vega 56).

iainjchambers

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
UPDATE

So, I have a bit of an update. The adapter finally arrived to connect the fans to the GPU fan header and using wattman, have the card running a conservative undervolt at 994mv. I also propped the case up a bit to allow some more clearance underneath for airflow. With all of that done I'm much more pleased with the results. The card still idles at ~28c but maxes out with a much more bearable noise level at ~63c, with a junction temp of ~87c.

NOTE:
With the stock case feet it's only possible to add the included dust filters outside the case and I wouldn't recommend this as it restricts airflow way too much.

TLDR

Undervolted, improved airflow and GPU-controlled fan speed:
Max GPU Temp: 63c
Max Junction Temp: 87c

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
GPU shroud + fans removed - 2 x 120mm Noctua NFA12x25 below
Surprisingly this did very little for temperatures and noise. The fans had to run at full speed to keep the GPU at temperatures comparable to stock and that defeated the point of this exercise, same temp, similarly unbearable noise levels. I can only guess that due to the fans being centered in the case and the orientation of the heatsink fins on the card, the GPU area of it wasn't getting very much cool air.

If you removed the stock shroud & fans from the Radeon VII & had the 12x25s in the bottom of the chassis, there was more than likely a significant gap between the fans & the exposed GPU heat sink...

Attaching the fans to the GPU & ducting them to the bottom venting would have seen much improved temps...

One more note on this method, see below...!

Morpheus 2 - 2 x 120mm Noctua NFA12x15 (slim) below
This was a little underwhelming considering the £100 I'd spent to make this happen but a definite improvement. With the fans at reduced speed using the Noctua adapter, the card reached 84c fairly quick but there's a notable improvement in noise levels here as the Noctua fans are really nice and quiet. With the fans running at full speed however, the max GPU temperature I saw was 71c. A definite win but at the cost of noise. Would definitely be gaming with headphones on to keep the GPU this cool.

This is what is trying to be replicated when people pull their stock shroud & fans but leave the heat sink...

But here is the trick, you want your CPU AIO intaking on the side panel & the GPU fans set to exhaust...!

From everything I have read here & the nearly 700 page thread over on the [H] SFF sub-forum, that will give the best temps for CPU & GPU...?

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Zutko

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2019
Did you run the fans as a intake or exoust? And if you need cool feets for your ncase m1, check out these:

AIYIMA 4Pcs 40*20mm Speaker Spikes Foot Pads Active Speakers Case Shock Speaker Repair Parts Accessories DIY For Home Theater

Just a smal dot of super glue and put them on the case. It looks amazing and helps with airflow. Highly recommended :)