GTX 1080 cooling issue

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I have a GTX1080 in my Ncase M1 V6. It's a Gigabyte, and since moving it from my Fractal Node 304 to the Ncase M1, the orientation of the card has gone from vertical to horizontal and is now giving the typical fan noise that is synonymous with Gigabyte cards.

Replacing the card is not an option. I have the card and 2 x Noctua NF-F12 fans pulling air into the case.

I want to replace the stock cooling shroud on my GTX1080.

So.. do I get an Accelero Extreme III (and will it fit)?

Or.. a Raijintek Morpheus and just leave the 2 noctua fans where they are?

What's the best solution?

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
The Morpheus most likely won't fit with your NF-F12 fans, it's a bit bulkier than the Accelero. You can fit it with 2 slim fans but this means higher temps and more noise most likely. So The Accelero with your existing NF-F12 fans is definitely the way to go. You'll want to set the fans to exhaust though, this gives better cooling performance compated to intake, you should see a very decent drop in temps. I have a 2080S in this same layout with the exact same fans and my temps dropped a whopping 20c (along with a slight undervolt and by using liquid metal instead of regular thermal paste. My NF-F12 fans run at max 1100rpm when the GPU is under heavy load and temps have never passed the 52c.

Reactions: psykix and MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I have the accelero iii on my GTX 1080ti with the bottom fans as exhaust. As Jetpaction said, much lower temps and only audible on heavy loads.

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Another 2 questions then...

There is an Accelero IV now, but I think that may take up too many slots?

Also, if I change the GPU and bottom fans to exhaust, what should I do about my AIO fans as they are set to intake at the moment.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@psykix The Accelero III and IV have the exact same heatsink but the IV has an additional backplate heatsink instead of the little VRM heatsinks on the III which you have to stick to the RAM and VRM modules on your GPU with thermal glue (included). The mounting mechanism is also different between the 2 versions. The backplate heatsink on the IV won't fit in your Ncase as it interferes with other components on your motherboard probably, it did for me at least. So go for the III if you can, otherwise you'll need to leave out the backplate heatsink on the IV and buy separate VRM heatsinks with thermal glue or pads.

As for the fan direction on your AIO: I have mine set to intake as well with 2x NF-F12's and it doesn't negatively impact the GPU temp at all for me. CPU is at 53c under load, GPU 52c.

Reactions: psykix

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks, that's perfect info!

Is the Accelero III configured as exhaust or intake as standard?

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Oh.. I'm confused.. what's the exact configuration you have? No fans on the Accelero and just the 2 noctuas at the bottom configured to exhaust?

Or have you added different fans??

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
Correct. I removed the shroud with 3 fans that comes with the Accelero and mounted 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans at the bottom of the case configured as exhaust. The Accelero heatsink fits perfectly and almost touches the Noctua fans, which is what you'd actually want for good cooling performance. I have a 2nd set of Noctua NF-F12 fans mounted on the radiator of my AIO, set as intake, and the radiator is mounted on the side plate of the case:

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Perfect! I watched the youtube video from Optimum Tech actually this morning where he does the exact same!

My AIO is the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum, with the standard ML120 fans that it comes with, so I dunno if I would gain much by changing those for Noctuas.

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Perfect! I watched the youtube video from Optimum Tech actually this morning where he does the exact same!

My AIO is the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum, with the standard ML120 fans that it comes with, so I dunno if I would gain much by changing those for Noctuas.

rymrtz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2020
I'm in a similar boat with a EVGA 1080 SC; Im in the process of getting Noctua fans but havn't bought a new cooler (yet), have you tried setting your bottom fans to exhaust? - It might save you some money and headache.

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I've fitted the accelero. Idle temps have plummeted. Not tried under load yet.

@Jetpaction do you use MSI Afterburner to control the bottom fans? If so can you share the fan profile?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh.. not so sure that MSI can do that without fans on the GPU itself. So how are you controlling the bottom fans? Guess I could install the Asus software and use that but would be nicer to control from BIOS I guess.

Last edited:

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@psykix Nice! The Noctua fans are connected to my motherboard and I've set a custom fan curve via my Gigabyte BIOS (Smart Fan 5). I use PCH as the source temperature as it seems to be relatively closely to my GPU temps. I've set the max speed to 75% (which is about 1050rpm for the NF-F12's) up until 50c and 100% at 60c and higher. My GPU temps have never reached higher than 52c so far so it's always cool & quiet.

I also tried connecting the fans directly to the GPU header with a GPU to PWM splitter cable and manage the fan curve with Afterburner, however my 2080S Founders Edition is hardcoded to always run its fans at 40% speed minimum in relation to the max rpm of the stock Nvidia GPU fans. This forces my Noctuas to always run at full speed because the max rpm of the Noctuas is a lot lower compared to the Nvidia fans. this resulted in a very cool but also quite loud system ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: psykix

psykix

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
I don't have an issue with temps. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to control the bottom fans.

@MultiDoc can you let me know how you have the custom fan curve configured in Asus Fan Xpert? Thanks!

My other option was to buy a Corsair Commander Pro and run everything off that since I already have a Corsair H100i AIO.