Motherboard Group Buy/Crowdfunded Modded BIOS for the Asrock A300m (Deskmini A300)

BillFleming11

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
I wanted to throw out some positive virtualization news with the new BIOSes.
I currently have 3.60H on my A300W with 3400G and the USB passthrough to KVM windows 7 guest works perfectly just like on my other Asrock AM4 machines.
The back USB and side USB ports are 1 controller, the 2 front USB ports are a separate controller that I tested passthrough.

Also I haven't had any trouble yet detecting/booting the ssd with my Silicon Power 512GB NVMe drive. (note that on my other machines with 1TB and 2TB versions of this model, they have no trouble handling 101BLCK, even when I RAID0 4 of them together with PLX card on X370 :-))

However I have had 2 issues with the unit so far.
When I boot with at least certain flash drives plugged into the front ports (example exfat formated usb3 drive), when I enter the BIOS the mouse and keyboard don't work. I have never encountered this issue on other Asrock mobos.
It boots so fast it is hard to get into the BIOS menu half of the time.

Reactions: Madapcket

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I wanted to throw out some positive virtualization news with the new BIOSes.
I currently have 3.60H on my A300W with 3400G and the USB passthrough to KVM windows 7 guest works perfectly just like on my other Asrock AM4 machines.
The back USB and side USB ports are 1 controller, the 2 front USB ports are a separate controller that I tested passthrough.

Also I haven't had any trouble yet detecting/booting the ssd with my Silicon Power 512GB NVMe drive. (note that on my other machines with 1TB and 2TB versions of this model, they have no trouble handling 101BLCK, even when I RAID0 4 of them together with PLX card on X370 :-))

However I have had 2 issues with the unit so far.
When I boot with at least certain flash drives plugged into the front ports (example exfat formated usb3 drive), when I enter the BIOS the mouse and keyboard don't work. I have never encountered this issue on other Asrock mobos.
It boots so fast it is hard to get into the BIOS menu half of the time.
You could always download the Restart to UEFI app from Asrock, that way you can make sure and get into the BIOS.

johnyb0y

Efficiency Noob
Aug 3, 2020
Hi, just registered here to bring you some good news.

From a german hardware site: Using a new Beta Bios "P3.60N" from a german AsRock Vendor someone got the 4750G running on the A300. The article even contains Cinebench scores (Comparable to a 3700X).

Here's a Google-Translate Link.

Here's the link to the Beta Bios. Scroll down to the dropdown menu at the end of the site.

Also beware: After flashing this BIOS you can't use Bristol Ridge CPUs anymore! Also I would consider this heavily Beta Beta! Be careful.

johnyb0y

Efficiency Noob
Aug 3, 2020
Update: My mistake, the Cinebench score is actually not from an A300. Is there no EDIT-Button in this forum ? :-)

apis29

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2020
Update: My mistake, the Cinebench score is actually not from an A300. Is there no EDIT-Button in this forum ? :-)
Probably no edit allowed yet for new users? And a user on a Dutch forum has the 4750G running on an A300 (commented under a newsarticle, no specific topic for it on the forum). Bought as 'business user' ...

johnyb0y

Efficiency Noob
Aug 3, 2020
It will be interesting to see how High speed SO-DIMM will play with these new chips on the A300. Something like 3600+Mhz.
I'm not sure how high-quality the RAM traces on the A300 are.
There are some highspeed SO-DIMM kits available, but they're pretty expensive.

michang64

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 27, 2020
[QUOTE =“ smolfactor,帖子:211499,成員:18548”]
我沒有在他們的清單上看到它
[/引用]

估價

http://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php

Mod reminder:
Kindly use English as much as possible in the forum. We understand that English may not be the primary language of everyone. In such cases, using a translation service like Google Translate is encouraged.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Is that even a safe web page to visit? I kinda regret I clicked it because I don't understand any of it. Google translate doesn't work because there is a pop-up. Maybe you're kind enough to translate it for us and tell us what you're trying to show us?

[QUOTE =“ smolfactor,帖子:211499,成員:18548”]
我沒有在他們的清單上看到它
[/引用]

估價

http://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php

Mod reminder:
Kindly use English as much as possible in the forum. We understand that English may not be the primary language of everyone. In such cases, using a translation service like Google Translate is encouraged.

Reactions: Phuncz

Apotessar

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2020
Hi, just registered here to bring you some good news.

From a german hardware site: Using a new Beta Bios "P3.60N" from a german AsRock Vendor someone got the 4750G running on the A300. The article even contains Cinebench scores (Comparable to a 3700X).

Here's a Google-Translate Link.

Here's the link to the Beta Bios. Scroll down to the dropdown menu at the end of the site.

Also beware: After flashing this BIOS you can't use Bristol Ridge CPUs anymore! Also I would consider this heavily Beta Beta! Be careful.

There's no mistake. The values are from an A300 Deskmini with an external graphics card.
I am always happy to see my benchmarks ;-P

Best regards

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Does anyone have the new bios that supports Renoir? It doesn't look like it's up on asrock's site anymore :'(

@Apotessar where did you buy the CPU from?

Apotessar

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2020

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Where can we find more pictures/review/benchmarks of your rig? How did you use the external GPU and connect it to the A300?

There's no mistake. The values are from an A300 Deskmini with an external graphics card.
I am always happy to see my benchmarks ;-P

Best regards

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Where can we find more pictures/review/benchmarks of your rig? How did you use the external GPU and connect it to the A300?
Just use an m.2 to PCIe adapter (and a riser cable if needed). People have been doing this for quite a while, though many have held off from going very high end due to the previous limitations on CPU performance (which is what this tread started out looking for a way to overcome by getting BIOS support for Ryzen CPUs rather than just APUs). Soon to be no more, I guess, given the power of Renoir.

Reactions: Curiosity

Apotessar

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2020

Currently I only have a small summary in a German speaking forum. But there you can find some pictures showing the structure. With the Google translator it should work.
The project has been realized in several steps. The first draft can be found in the same article on page 1.

https://translate.google.com/transl...-ohne-externes-gehaeuse.1930236/post-24376538

Reactions: Valantar

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
Just use an m.2 to PCIe adapter (and a riser cable if needed). People have been doing this for quite a while, though many have held off from going very high end due to the previous limitations on CPU performance (which is what this tread started out looking for a way to overcome by getting BIOS support for Ryzen CPUs rather than just APUs). Soon to be no more, I guess, given the power of Renoir.

Yup, I've got a GDC Beast x4 connected to mine with a Radeon 5700 on it. The 3400G holds it back a bit and I'm hoping a 4700G will really elevate the entire system. That's been my plan since I bought the thing tbh. If the A300 does drop support I'll have to go X300 when that comes out.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
So, today I've tested the 3.60N with 2400G. Successful boot. But stability issues running RAM@XMP (3200). (Against the SoC voltage, which you are not anymore able to change)

Rolled back to 3.60K. Same behavior with RAM@XMP but I'm able to adjust SoC VID. Stability recovered. Staying @3.60K.
3.60K still reporting errors in IOMMU and dmesg on Ubuntu 20.04.

Hoping to be able to adjust SoC VID in official AGESA v2.

Reactions: Curiosity

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's official:

The all-new DeskMini X300 not only supports AMD latest Ryzen 4000 series APU, but also allows users to adjust CPU/GPU core clock, and tuning voltage to excavate APU potential power. DeskMini X300 supports 8 Cores Ryzen 7 APU and dual-Channel DDR4-3200+MHz (OC) memory, which leads to outstanding computing power and 3D performance.
DeskMini X300 is equipped with two Ultra M.2 (2280) slots for PCIe Gen3 high-speed SSDs and two 2.5" SATA 6 Gbps interface for RAID function. Moreover, the DeskMini A300 is able to connect three display outputs simultaneously, which greatly improves the user experiences. It also supports USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C and M.2 Wi-Fi module, and various accessories within 1.9 Liter compact size.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the impressive I/O of the H470 model (USB-C with 60W PD and Alt mode! Imagine powering your Deskmini through your monitor, with a single cable!), but overall this looks very good.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
It's official:

Is anyone gonna flash their A300-STX with the just released X300-STX bios. I'm tempted to, but mine is currently my only system, and even though I have a rom flasher, I've never used it and scared I may not be able to recover.

hot22shot

Efficiency Noob
May 11, 2020
Is anyone gonna flash their A300-STX with the just released X300-STX bios. I'm tempted to, but mine is currently my only system, and even though I have a rom flasher, I've never used it and scared I may not be able to recover.

Why would someone do that when we have the BIOS 3.60N that supports Renoir APU ?