GPU Shortage Advice

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Hi! I'm new to computers and I'm building my first PC with the S4 mini case and I kinda made the mistake of building my PC right now in the middle of the GPU shortage. I've looking for the MSI 1070 Aero ITX for my build because it's powerful and quiet, but I havn't been able to find a decent one under $600 dollars. I was wondering if it would just be worth waiting for the Nvidia 2070 to come out to buy it when the ITX version comes out or just try and wait out the shortage?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi! I'm new to computers and I'm building my first PC with the S4 mini case and I kinda made the mistake of building my PC right now in the middle of the GPU shortage. I've looking for the MSI 1070 Aero ITX for my build because it's powerful and quiet, but I havn't been able to find a decent one under $600 dollars. I was wondering if it would just be worth waiting for the Nvidia 2070 to come out to buy it when the ITX version comes out or just try and wait out the shortage?
Hmm, do we know if we'll be seeing 11XX or 20XX yet? The next one should just be a refresh of the current architecture - and then the next would be Volta. In response to your question though I would seriously consider waiting until prices drop.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Is this GPU shortage thing only affecting the lower stuff?
I only look at 1080 and 1080ti prices and I haven't noticed a hike here in the UK. the zotac mini 1080ti is 699

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
I only look at 1080 and 1080ti prices and I haven't noticed a hike here in the UK. the zotac mini 1080ti is 699
Yea in belgium the gtx1080ti mini is now 1000€

Honestly i think your best bet right now is buying used or buy a cheap prebuild(as these are almost the same price as buying the gpu on it's own) and rob it from it's gpu and sell the other parts

Reactions: Biowarejak

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
As far as I can tell, the shortage isn't hitting the top-end cards much, and is highly skewed towards AMD cards since it's mainly demand driven by Ethereum miners. There may be some spillover, but where Nvidia cards are concerned, the 1070 is the one that's getting bought out mainly.

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
As far as I can tell, the shortage isn't hitting the top-end cards much, and is highly skewed towards AMD cards since it's mainly demand driven by Ethereum miners. There may be some spillover, but where Nvidia cards are concerned, the 1070 is the one that's getting bought out mainly.
Yeah I noticed that the top end cards aren't getting hit too badly, but I'm really not looking for much more power than a 1070 because I'll be maxing at 1440p/144hz and I only have a 400W G-Unique power supply. I want it to stay nice and cool while relatively quiet at the same time and I know 1080's and 1080ti's run hotter (plus they're way out of my budget). I had read that the Pascal refresh might be coming out in Q3 2017 and the 15% performance gain might be worth the wait, especially since everything is gone right now anyways.