GPU fan question

redrivera

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 11, 2020
To the people using deshrouded cards and/or deshrouded acceleros: do you use pwm to gpu adapters or do you run the fans through the motherboard? (and why/why not?)

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I have the accelero fans plugged on the motherboard and made custom profile for them through the ASUs fan expert

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
I haven't installed an accelero on my GPU yet, but I would definitely connect the fans to the GPU.

It makes more sense to me to let the GPU deals with its own temperature than pray that the overall system realizes it status and do something to cool it down.

Plus, with extra software what happens if it didn't boot or so?

Well in case of problem, the card is more likely to shutdown than let itself die, but still.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
I tried using the fan header on my 2080S but prefer using the motherboard headers. Problem for me was that the 2080S (the Founders Edition at least, don't know if this applies to all 3rd party AIB's) runs the fans at 40% minimum speed, even if you try to set a custom fan curve with Afterburner or X1. This resulted in my Noctua fans running at full speed all the time, making the system a lot louder. With the motherboard header I can easily set a custom fan curve (I used SmartFan 5 in my Gigabyte BIOS) so it's quiet when idle and run it at max 1100rpm when under load. This results in a much more quiet system.

redrivera

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 11, 2020
I have the accelero fans plugged on the motherboard and made custom profile for them through the ASUs fan expert

I tried searching but I could only find old stuff—can you use GPU temps in asus fan expert?

Plus, with extra software what happens if it didn't boot or so?

this is my initial thought too

I tried using the fan header on my 2080S but prefer using the motherboard headers. Problem for me was that the 2080S (the Founders Edition at least, don't know if this applies to all 3rd party AIB's) runs the fans at 40% minimum speed, even if you try to set a custom fan curve with Afterburner or X1. This resulted in my Noctua fans running at full speed all the time, making the system a lot louder. With the motherboard header I can easily set a custom fan curve (I used SmartFan 5 in my Gigabyte BIOS) so it's quiet when idle and run it at max 1100rpm when under load. This results in a much more quiet system.

thanks for sharing your experience, this is my first encounter with this potential issue!