CPU Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2 1TB between Dan A4 SFX V4.1 Motherboard and Backplate?

lagauche

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Would this work in the back of a motherboard on the Dan A4? I read somewhere i have 2.5mm of space, but not sure if that's true. Hoping this would fit, but if not, is there any m.2 with a built in heatsink that would fit like the other gigabyte one?

Thanks!

Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2 1TB

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
What some have done is buy thick thermal pads and connect the M.2 to the case. Using the spine as a heat-sink works well and could save you some $$$.

lagauche

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
What some have done is buy thick thermal pads and connect the M.2 to the case. Using the spine as a heat-sink works well and could save you some $$$.

I'm into it, but i really don't understand how to do that with the v4.1 riser. Do you think i could put some of the riser strands between the m.2 and mb so that the m.2 could make contact with the backplate?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Hmm... I hadn't looked close enough at the new riser. It looks like you could unscrew it and route that cable behind the GPU, but IDK how sensitive/fragile the new PCIE 4 cable is.

The NVME + heatsink on the Auros Gen 4 is 11.4mm..... there are some heatinks like this that will for sure fit.

edit: link

The thin one is meant for laptops, but it's still made of copper.

lagauche

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Hmm... I hadn't looked close enough at the new riser. It looks like you could unscrew it and route that cable behind the GPU, but IDK how sensitive/fragile the new PCIE 4 cable is.

The NVME + heatsink on the Auros Gen 4 is 11.4mm..... there are some heatinks like this that will for sure fit.

edit: link

The thin one is meant for laptops, but it's still made of copper.

Thanks ya, that one in the 1.5mm variety arrives tomorrow morning and i will test. Could you help me understand how you route the riser to the GPU side? I do understand I could slip it over or under but then how would affix the end of the riser (that connects to the gpu) to the backplate? Or is the idea to just let it hange unattached to the backplate thus asking the GPU to stay in place by just the GPU i/o shield?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Unscrew the cable from the GPU side
Remove the riser from the case.
Install the MB
Place the riser on the GPU side
Route the cable and plug it into the MB
Then gently screw the connector back on over the gpu side

Don't force the GPU connector. You can fold a cable, but if you pinch it.... then you'll likely need to replace it. I've done this in my case with a Gen 3 cable (sandwhich style, but not a Dan A4). You don't really need to install the MB to do this; it just helps determine how much slack you have.

edit: looking at the Dan A4 V4.1 again, you'll have a much easier time than I did. the bracket is floating, so you won't have any risks of pinching the cable. If you are worried about the GPU smashing the cable, you may want to remove the backplate (if there is one).